Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Budget Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines (closed to posting)
Reload this Page >

AirAsia Indonesia QZ8501 SUB to SIN reported missing 0724 Sun 28 Dec 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2014, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
WELCOME, MODERATOR GUIDELINES and SUMMARY
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

If you are new to us, welcome to FlyerTalk!

Who we are: FlyerTalk features discussions and chat boards that covers the most up-to-date traveler information; an interactive community dedicated to the topic of travel (not politics or arguments about politics or religion, etc.)

All travelers are welcome in the community. Just choose a forum: conversing about airlines and their programs, airports, destinations, dining and how to make the most of your miles and points, or visit our Information Desk to start.

We do have some Rules, and everyone agrees to abide by these when they are granted free membership privileges. On a topic that generates a lot of feelings and perspectives, please remember "welcoming, respectful" are key words on FlyerTalk.

As with previous missing plane threads, please observe the following in this thread:

1. The normal FT Rules apply. (Including not discussing moderation actions on-thread). And please be particularly attentive to "discussing the idea and not the poster" when you have a disagreement. Civility and mutual respect are still expected and are what we owe each other as a community.

2. You are expected to respect our diversity, and therefore refrain from posting inflammatory comments about race, religion, culture, politics, ethnicity, orientation, etc." Do not cite, copy, or report on such.

3. Please do continue to be attentive to the sensibilities of the families of those on the flight. Think about if you were them what you would and would not want to see posted. Reasonable speculation about what happened is permissible; please, though, do not indulge in inflammatory or overly-lurid descriptions or depictions (or links to same) that could well be hurtful.

4. Overly / extravagantly exaggerative posts such as conspiracy theories, posts beyond the realm of science and known facts, etc. as well as posts with information that has been posted several times previously may be summarily deleted. Moderator actions may not be discussed in posts on FlyerTalk.

(For those more interested in conspiracy theories and have access to OMNI, please post here: OMNI: Search launched for missing AirAsia jet bound for Singapore from Indonesia)

5. FlyerTalk complies with international copyright agreements. Please do not post full copyrighted articles; summarize the salient points, cite properly and post links. Entire copyrighted articles will be summarily deleted.

6. In addition, those who repeatedly fail to comply with FlyerTalk Rules or the guidelines for this thread may be subjected to FlyerTalk disciplinary actions and have membership privileges suspended, forum masks, etc.

QZ8501 Moderator team: JDiver, cblaisd, Moderator2, starflyergold, armagebedar

Please note we have added a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) to the first post in this thread.

N.B. PLEASE do not alter the contents of this moderator note.

=========================================

AirAsia Indonesia has verified QZ8501 has reported missing with 162 aboard. Departed Surabaya, Indonesia 0532 local time, last contact with ATC 0714 local Singapore time / 0614 Western Indonesia Time Sunday, 28 Dec 2014. QZ8501 was due to arrive SIN 0837 local time.

Surabaya, East Java, Indonesia is on Western Indonesia Time (WIB), UTC +7.

Originally Posted by AirAsia Indonesia FaceBook page

AirAsia Indonesia regrets to confirm that flight QZ8501 from Surabaya to Singapore has lost contact with air traffic control at 07:24 (Surabaya LT) this morning. The flight took off from Juanda International Airport in Surabaya at 0535 hours.

Search and rescue operations are being conducted under the guidance of The Indonesia of Civil Aviation Authority (CAA). AirAsia Indonesia is cooperating fully and assisting the investigation in every possible way.

The aircraft was on the submitted flight plan route and was requesting deviation due to en route weather before communication with the aircraft was lost while it was still under the control of the Indonesian Air Traffic Control (ATC).

The aircraft had undergone its last scheduled maintenance on 16 November 2014.

AirAsia has established an Emergency Call Centre that is available for family or friends of those who may have been on board the aircraft. The number is: +622129850801.
Originally Posted by gpeso8
I'm in Indonesia right now and local TV is reporting that an emergency exit door was located they are also showing a body in the water (blurred out).
Originally Posted by BBC 30 Dec 2014
Indonesian officials have confirmed that bodies and debris found in the Java Sea off Borneo are from AirAsia flight QZ8501 that went missing on Sunday, a statement by AirAsia says.

The AirAsia statement said the remains were found in the Karimata Strait, south-west of Pangkalan Bun in the Borneo province of Central Kalimantan.
Originally Posted by Aviation Herald
On Dec 31st 2014 the chairman of Indonesia's Search and Rescue Service stated in an evening press conference, that earlier reports about the fuselage having been located have been incorrect, the search is still ongoing, so far - referring to a report by CNN hitting global headlines - there are no sonar images of the fuselage as well. Correcting other media reports the chairman stressed that none of the bodies recovered so far was wearing a life vest. All valid information concerning QZ-8501 only and only comes from one source, namely the Search and Rescue Service which is currently in charge of the entire operation, the chairman stated with reference to the current information chaos.
AirAsia company profile: http://www.airasia.com/my/en/about-u...e-profile.page

AirAsia updates on QZ8501 http://qz8501.airasia.com/index.html

Aviation Herald: http://avherald.com/h?article=47f6abc7

BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-30620647

Please do not post speculation or unconfirmed information in this wiki or thread.
Print Wikipost

AirAsia Indonesia QZ8501 SUB to SIN reported missing 0724 Sun 28 Dec 2014

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2014, 10:48 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by davie355
CNN anchor just now: "Planes are built to withstand turbulence, right?"
To be fair, sometimes reporters ask very leading questions in order to steer the "expert" they're interviewing into basically saying what they want. It's less common among real journalists, but very common among TV hosts "reporting" the news.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 10:49 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
More unconfirmed reports of a crash near East Belitung. I want to emphasize: unconfirmed.

http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/m...onesian-portal
Old Dec 27, 2014, 10:49 pm

It seems like weather, but I have to wonder about that because of the flights around it. In particular the Emirates flight literally just a couple miles ahead of it. It also was flying at FL320. Obviously, the pilots could've done something wrong if there was bad weather, but the fact that numerous other planes were in the area flying through the same weather makes it a bit odd...
Old Dec 27, 2014, 10:50 pm

Programs: QF Gold, SQ, AA, HA
If that passenger manifest is correct, it lists 23 no-shows which seems a little .. high? And there's a number of people listed as having their first and last names the same, which also seems odd.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 10:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mrboh
If that passenger manifest is correct, it lists 23 no-shows which seems a little .. high? And there's a number of people listed as having their first and last names the same, which also seems odd.
How many seats were on the plane? Were there any VDBs/IDBs?

And to understand the 23 no shows, does anyone know whether that would mean totally losing all ticket value on AirAsia? I would guess yes, since this is a LCC.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 10:57 pm

Programs: CA Gold, EY Silver HHons Diamond
Originally Posted by invisible
May I suggest to refresh your knowledge of geography of this area?
No need for this sort of comment. Lets try and keep this thread respectful.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 10:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

And to understand the 23 no shows, does anyone know whether that would mean totally losing all ticket value on AirAsia? I would guess yes, since this is a LCC.
Bad weather might have led to late connecting flights. Don't think anything can be inferred from this yet.

Seat Guru says 180 seats...so 177 would be possible.
I see only 2 pax. on the manifest listed with the same first/last name that were no shows...but yes, that's odd. I do feel like no-shows in that part of the world may be a bit high...flight changes are a bit more 'lax

Also, to address the late connecting flights idea, I don't think so because this flight departed at 5:20am...
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Airline updated its facebook page with additional details of crew, passengers and last maintenance on plane. I updated the wiki

*EDIT*

Same info was already posted upthread by SFOPhD
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24061172-post65.html
Old Dec 27, 2014, 11:00 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by jk88usa
Seat Guru says 180 seats...so 177 would be possible.
I see only 2 pax. on the manifest listed with the same first/last name that were no shows...but yes, that's odd. I do feel like no-shows in that part of the world may be a bit high...flight changes are a bit more 'lax

Also, to address the late connecting flights idea, I don't think so because this flight departed at 5:20am...
No check in = total fare loss on Air Asia.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 11:01 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Seat Guru says Air Asia (no subsidiary specified) uses a 180 seat configuration on that type of plane.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 11:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CDKing
Airline updated its facebook page with additional details of crew, passengers and last maintenance on plane. I updated the wiki
Earlier it was one UK national, CNN is saying not, and now it's one French person. I wonder if passengers with multiple passports are causing confusion.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And there's a number of people listed as having their first and last names the same, which also seems odd.
My understanding is that many Indonesians do not have last names like we do in most parts of the world.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 11:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by javabytes
Seems tasteless for someone to have leaked this before families are notified.
Originally Posted by javabytes
Seems tasteless for them to have done it then.
This type of thing is not unusual or considered tasteless here (clarification: in Indonesia, not FT!)
Most Indonesians have just a single name, so I assume that to make the computer systems happy they enter that name twice.

Last edited by DeepUnderground; Dec 28, 2014 at 3:51 am
Old Dec 27, 2014, 11:05 pm

Programs: GA Gold, BA Silver, HH Gold, IHG Gold
And there's a number of people listed as having their first and last names the same, which also seems odd.
Regarding the same first and last name, it's common for Indonesian to have single name so we just use it as First and Last name.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.