Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FT Exclusive: *LIVE* BA001 LCY-JFK Trip Report 30 Sept 09

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FT Exclusive: *LIVE* BA001 LCY-JFK Trip Report 30 Sept 09

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2009, 9:23 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by Zamoyska
@British_Airways #bacity #VS45 is about to overtake you! We left London 90 mins later than you but we'll be at The Peninsula bar ,NY first!

Ha! You've got to love it! It seems nothing gets past VS! Though the Times guy seems to have responded ...

@VirginAtlantic It will all be about JFK customs. If you get a 45 min queue we will overtake. Also, when did you get to heathrow? #bacity

Anyway, looking forward to the trip report tomorrow. I'm heading back to NYC next week so may have a look later tonight at availability just to try it out.
Unfortunately VS045 arrived 6 minutes after an Etihad flight with 300 mainly Indian Sub-continent passengers. Whilst the crew may have been through Immigration and on to The Peninsular Bar..The Upper Class passengers were delayed in a Long Immigration Line.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Crikey. Back on board, 41 minutes after touchdown. Security: 3mins. Laptops out and shoes off.

Immigration: 4mins. Four fingers of right hand and photo.

Lounge-style holding area, then boarding from adjacent gate. Posting briefly before take-off; the next post will be OnAir and in more detail.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 9:32 am

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
Originally Posted by continentalclub
...OnAir came on 10 minutes out of LCY and stayed on with only one satellite change 'bong'...
Is the 'bong' audible throughout the whole cabin, or just on your PC if you are logged in? Does the signal then drop immediately (as if you were entering a long tunnel)? How long does it take to reestablish itself on the new satellite?

Have fun, anyway! Thanks for the reports! Tip: write as much as you can early in the flight before you succumb to the effects of the on-board refreshments
Old Sep 30, 2009, 9:36 am
awm

Programs: BA Gold for life
Originally Posted by UncleDude
Unfortunately VS045 arrived 6 minutes after an Etihad flight with 300 mainly Indian Sub-continent passengers. Whilst the crew may have been through Immigration and on to The Peninsular Bar..The Upper Class passengers were delayed in a Long Immigration Line.
Indeed. I was flying into JFK late one evening and our BA flight was delayed so much that they had closed T7 and we were told to park up at T4...in the T4 immigration line I vowed never again to complain about T7
Old Sep 30, 2009, 9:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, etc. etc.
Originally Posted by salut0
That's perhaps a key question about the service, I think. If there's no major maintenance base at LCY for BA, mechanical problems have more of an effect. Does anyone know how they do maintenance at LCY for the RJs and other small planes: do they have to service them elsewhere or drive/fly in parts for them?
Aren't the A318s on the LCY-JFK route supposed to be brand-new?!? Certainly not good publicity for Airbus (rather than BA) if a new aircraft goes tech on one of its very first commercial flights....
Old Sep 30, 2009, 10:01 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HH Diamond
I am booked on a LHR to JFK flight on 16th October and BA called me today to offer a "free upgrade" to this service

As i live in West London and its a leisure trip I politely declined. After reading this so far I am glad I did!
Old Sep 30, 2009, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Can you hear me?

Is there anybody there?

OnAir on 4 minutes after take-off from Shannon and we're now cruising over the Atlantic.

Second safety demo conducted by the crew with good humour, despite the obvious bnx-ticking exerrise.

More soon....
Old Sep 30, 2009, 10:05 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by awm
Indeed. I was flying into JFK late one evening and our BA flight was delayed so much that they had closed T7 and we were told to park up at T4...in the T4 immigration line I vowed never again to complain about T7
+1

They should show life video stream of JFK T4 / MIA security lines in T7 security. Try to get stuck behind Ukraine International and a delayed Air India in JFK - I thought I'd never see the daylight (that was before I became a resident ).
Old Sep 30, 2009, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by London Dude
Aren't the A318s on the LCY-JFK route supposed to be brand-new?!? Certainly not good publicity for Airbus (rather than BA) if a new aircraft goes tech on one of its very first commercial flights....
That was my thinking too!
Old Sep 30, 2009, 10:10 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Can you hear me?

Is there anybody there?
Yes we're all here, waiting with baited breath

More soon....
Come on then, stop drinking that champagne and get on with the job in hand.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 10:20 am

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
... despite the obvious bnx-ticking exerrise.....
PUTI already, and you've only just taken off
Old Sep 30, 2009, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by London Dude
But it is just the same as someone buying a new car and a bulb blowing in the headlight.

Components can fail at any time on any man made machine.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 10:29 am

Programs: AF: Plat BD: Gold ICH: Plat Royal Ambassador
Shannon has improved dramatically over the years - and the last places to be renovated are the airside departures areas.

The checkin area is a new terminal - opened in 2002-ish, and in early 2009 a new security area was opened. Most recently the US immigration and customs was reconstructed - opening only last week.

Shannon, as a regional airport, should not be compared to Heathrow, but as we are - it's a far superior experience in comparison to Terminal 1 2 or 3 at Heathrow, and the majority of the JFK terminals...

The departures area looks more like this now:

Last edited by typhoon; Sep 30, 2009 at 10:39 am Reason: add recent photo
Old Sep 30, 2009, 10:30 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
Yes we're all here, waiting with baited breath
Been eating sardines again, then have we?
Sorry - just had to get the fish comment in.

I, too, am waiting with bated breath.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 10:49 am

Second safety demo conducted by the crew with good humour, despite the obvious bnx-ticking exerrise.
Must look a bit pointless.

Any idea how many pax have actually paid to be on board?

Last edited by Jumbodriver; Sep 30, 2009 at 11:23 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.