Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Can "son of Concorde" succeed? (A318 LCY-JFK, including interior photo!)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2009, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/...d-1793140.html
Old Sep 27, 2009, 7:20 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton Diamond, Starwoord Gold, Amex Centurion, Global Entry
What is the link with the Concorde, except for the flight path and focus on business travellers?
Old Sep 27, 2009, 7:21 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by StewieD
What is the link with the Concorde, except for the flight path and focus on business travellers?

Flight numbers
Old Sep 27, 2009, 7:22 am

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
Oh look. There he goes again.

Is there much appetite for indulgence among the corporate clients who the service is designed for? "No," says Paul Charles of Virgin Atlantic. "Taxpayer-owned banks won't want to be seen paying over £4,000 for a slow, stopping BA flight to New York when they can pay less and get there quicker with Virgin Atlantic from Heathrow."
Old Sep 27, 2009, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I am entertained by the way it says "CHARLOTTE HINDLE" next to the photo of the chap reclining on the seat.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 8:29 am

Programs: MUCCI Master of the Pots de Miel (mmm!). No greater than this can any mortal rise.
And worse:

"Friends of the Earth's aviation campaigner, Richard Dyer, said "We should be curbing the growth in flying, not laying on new flights. Worse still, the luxurious and spacious layout on these planes will mean each passenger is responsible for around three times the emissions from regular flights."
Must we be subjected to this nonsense? What is this, a newspaper article or a VS press release?
Old Sep 27, 2009, 8:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Should it not be "can daughter of Concorde succeed"?

I thought aircraft were feminine rather than masculine........could be wrong.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
"Friends of the Earth's aviation campaigner, Richard Dyer, said "We should be curbing the growth in flying, not laying on new flights. Worse still, the luxurious and spacious layout on these planes will mean each passenger is responsible for around three times the emissions from regular flights."
Imagine if you spent GBP 3,000 on something other than air travel. I bet the carbon content would be much greater than that emitted due to the journey and it's accompanying products and services.

I maintain that luxury air travel is likely to be a carbon friendly way of spending your money.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 9:22 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
One thing I noted from the article:

From London the attrition rate is even higher: in the past two years, three airlines have gone bust trying to make money flying business travellers to New York: Eos, MaxJet and Silverjet all lost millions bravely trying to prove the concept. So what makes BA's link from London City any different?
The difference is that the failed airlines - Eos, MaxJet and Silverjet - were all stand alone operations, trying to garner support from passengers who were probably already tied to an existing carrier.

Looking at it from this viewpoint, BA is an existing carrier, and already has a very large number of seats available from LHR to JFK, I don't think it would be expecting too much to presume that 64 of those passengers (32 per flight, two flights per day) will make the switch.

And if they limit it to J class only (none of the D class rabble) that would certainly assist with profitability.

Dave
Old Sep 27, 2009, 11:30 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
I thought this article showed bias of which the Independent ought to be ashamed. The table at the bottom purporting to show that it's as quick from the Bank via VS/LHR as it is via BA/LCY had the following blatant errors:

- No-one in their right mind would allow an hour with 30 mins recovery time to get from Bank to LHR T5 with a car that couldn't even use the bus lanes

- the 30 mins recovery time built into the limo's segment of the VS journey was not added to the segment - the minutes added into the taxi's segment to get to LCY were

- no time was allowed for the delay in getting through US border controls at JFK
Old Sep 27, 2009, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by hsmall
I thought this article showed bias of which the Independent ought to be ashamed.

Did you miss the bit which said:
The time until passengers will be able to climb into the limousine depends on how fast the queue moves for immigration and customs.
No mention of the (non-existent) BA limo, so yes, perhaps there was some bias after all.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 2:15 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by Roger

Did you miss the bit which said:

No mention of the (non-existent) BA limo, so yes, perhaps there was some bias after all.
No, I didn't miss it. But the graphic implied that there was no additional stage in JFK for VS passengers compared to BA passengers - and for what it is worth only full fare VS upper class passengers get the limo anyway.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hsmall
... the graphic implied that there was no additional stage in JFK for VS passengers compared to BA passengers
Not my reading, having read the graphic.
... only full fare VS upper class passengers get the limo anyway.
As opposed to BA full fare CW passengers who get what, exactly? (Rhetorical question, I know they get diddly-squat.)
Old Sep 28, 2009, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by Roger
Not my reading, having read the graphic.As opposed to BA full fare CW passengers who get what, exactly? (Rhetorical question, I know they get diddly-squat.)
A Club World seat...

After all, that is what you are booking. A seat on a plane from A to B.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
A Club World seat...

After all, that is what you are booking. A seat on a plane from A to B.
Quite right. I didn't understand the allegation of bias in the Independent article and still don't. (Not that this forum is free of bias ... )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.