Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Clinic Thread: Paid seat selection discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Clinic Thread: Paid seat selection discussion

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2009, 6:34 am

Programs: No longer bothered chasing FF status.
Originally Posted by Jenbel
........And all I can think that for a couple flying US-LHR-Africa/Asia will be paying £500 extra for the right to book seats, when they may have already paid several thousand for those tickets......
Only if they want to, It’s not an obligatory charge !

In my book, it's better than paying all those thousands & not getting the chocie to pre-assign seats.

If you fly enough to have Silver or above or are paying full fare, then there's no charge.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 6:36 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by kered
I can’t help but think that perhaps after all, BA realised that their current seating policy was flawed & did indeed send passengers off in another direction.

So this is a way of going back to a more open policy, without actually abolishing the current policy & earning a few bob for the airline on the way.

As G-BOAC said "seeing if passengers will put their money where their mouth is ^"
I think people may well do, for the top seats. Less so simply to be sat by each other in a seat they have on all previous occasions been assigned (or been able to move into) for free at OLCI.

I see trouble ahead for those Status pax who enjoy the Upper Deck and esp the prized seats up there, who will now find them taken, by 'the once a year', book miles in advance during a sale, passengers who will be willing to pay for the prime seats but not the lesser ones.

From my point of view the move is not a good one (for me personally), as a Blue who has taken advantage of many Y sectors on a 777 on row 26 for the cost of OLCIing at T-24.

Is it a good move for BA? As I have said in other threads, if it increases revenues overall, then its a good idea. I suspect I may well find myself paying the premium for good seats in the future (if they're not already gone). In my eyes it does lower the value of the product and to a certain extent the brand as a whole, its another step close to the LCC model and the closer they get, the more willing I will be to look at the likes of EZ as opposed to automatically booking BA
Old Sep 24, 2009, 6:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Amex and some hotels
This shouldn't affect me personally too much as I'm silver and mostly fly CW. I do also fly a few short haul, sometimes in CE, but often on cheapo Y tickets, so I guess I may have to worst case it out and end up with a middle seat for 2 hours or so.

However, I can remember the days when I used to fly SIN-LHR in Y 3 or 4 times a year, had no status, and couldn't pre-book a seat. I used to get really hacked off that pax boarding in SYD would always snaffle the best seats and I'd often end up in a middle Y seat (and I did consider myself a "good" BA customer, just most of my flights were in Y which didn't used to earn (m)any TPs)

So this would have been a welcome enhancement at that time - except that my boss would have never allowed the extra charge on my expenses. I guess this will be a problem for many pax - especially during these "trying" times. How many don't get generous expense accounts that will allow them extras such as seat selection??
Old Sep 24, 2009, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
....I see trouble ahead for those Status pax who enjoy the Upper Deck and esp the prized seats up there, who will now find them taken, by 'the once a year', book miles in advance during a sale, passengers who will be willing to pay for the prime seats but not the lesser ones........
I don't think that the "once a year" passenger would even know what or where the prime seats are.

As has been said so many times in past debates over the seating policy, the average leisure traveller cares not a jot about where they sit & are more concerned about the fare being paid.

So they won’t be paying the extra charge. But for those of us who do care about where we sit, BA have now given us back the “choice to choose” ^
Old Sep 24, 2009, 6:42 am

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
Ah, you don't do that much do you? Explaining why I need to spend a further £120 on top of the published fare to chose a seat is going to be tricky in many companies... I can't even get the £10 for speedy boarding on easyJet passed!
However you could argue that you feel fortunate in this current climate to fly Business and have it paid for by your employer and the extra £120 you could pay for yourself. After all where you sit is rather subjective as the hardware is physically the same. It is a personal preference you feel some seats are better than others.

I see this as more important for those in WT/WT+ where there are seats with more legroom etc, something which isn't really the case in Club or First.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 6:48 am

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
Gee after reading both pages of comments on this I am really scared to say - I think this new policy is great. This will go a long way to keeping me with BA.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 6:49 am

+1 Paint Horse ^

......Explaining why I need to spend a further £120 on top of the published fare to chose a seat is going to be tricky in many companies....
From the article....

....and customers on corporate deals can pre-assign their seats for free ....
Old Sep 24, 2009, 6:50 am

I don't think that the "once a year" passenger would even know what or where the prime seats are.

As has been said so many times in past debates over the seating policy, the average leisure traveller cares not a jot about where they sit & are more concerned about the fare being paid.

So they won’t be paying the extra charge. But for those of us who do care about where we sit, BA have now given us back the “choice to choose” ^
I suspect you could well be right, it will be interesting to see people's experiences though.

I do know loads of people who use Seat Guru etc now who are irregular pax and care not for loyalty programs etc, I don't know if they would be willing to pay the premium however.

Has it been cleared up as yet if it will still be a 'free' for all at t-24 OLCI, or will pax only be able to change seats, if they are willing to pay the charge?
Old Sep 24, 2009, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by Paint Horse
after reading both pages of comments on this.
There are 6 pages here...
Old Sep 24, 2009, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
........Has it been cleared up as yet if it will still be a 'free' for all at t-24 OLCI, or will pax only be able to change seats, if they are willing to pay the charge?
Well if they’re using the model that applies to Aer Lingus, you’ll be charged for advance seat selection, but when check-in opens then it’s a free for all on what’s left.

I suspect that will be the way it will be done.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by clubman
There are 2 (well, now 3) pages here. 6 pages are for amateurs Check your account settings...
Old Sep 24, 2009, 7:02 am

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
Originally Posted by clubman
Really? In my browser I ended up as the first comment on page three.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 7:02 am

Well if they’re using the model that applies to Aer Lingus, you’ll be charged for advance seat selection, but when check-in opens then it’s a free for all on what’s left.

I suspect that will be the way it will be done.
I guess it will be a case of logging in to your booking and seeing what's been taken regularly then. If there's loads of availability, no need to pay, if its getting tight, snaffle the seats you want.

Unless you only get the option on booking and not at any point up to OLCI
Old Sep 24, 2009, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by G-BOAC
There are 2 (well, now 3) pages here. 6 pages are for amateurs Check your account settings...
GAH! Never new that!
Old Sep 24, 2009, 7:05 am

Neither did I until now

"Every day is a school day"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.