Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Just gone Gold... what's about to change?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2009, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Just gone Gold... what's about to change?

Just g

Last edited by pcflyer213; Oct 24, 2017 at 11:36 am
Old Sep 16, 2009, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Not a lot will change to be honest.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 6:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
The obvious is about as far as it goes.

As with all promotions, just remember you have only reached the bottom of a new rung.

As Gold, you now need to aspire to GGL and Concorde Room Cardholder.

One thing you did not mention is walking into a BA lounge when flying another airline. So if you are flying Easyjet from LGW North, you can use the BA Terraces/Galleries lounge (not the Flounge). Not sure if that is obvious but it is a really nice touch.

When in AMS, I wonder into BA lounge when flying VLM to LCY if the KLM lounge is full.

Never notice any additional grovelling from cabin crew.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 6:23 am

Programs: BA Blue, VS Silver
Not with BA but when you fly another OW carrier, you will find that priority boarding is enforced, certainly the case with LAN.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by johnny5a
Not with BA but when you fly another OW carrier, you will find that priority boarding is enforced, certainly the case with LAN.
True: OW partners are much better at recognizing status, especially compared to *A.

I have received op-ups on QF, CX and AA with my BA Gold status.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 6:48 am

Yes I received an Op-Up last week with LAN! Also one internal flight, an agent went down the queue, checking BPs and picked out my wife (who was at the back of the queue, while I was sat down, letting her do the queuing) for preferred boarding and brought her forward, I quickly got up and joined her.....

That is what I call service.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 7:30 am

Programs: BAEC, SK *G, Hyatt GP Courtesy Card
Another thing, however I am not sure if it is because the gold status, is that the CSD will come and talk to you no matter which cabin you sit in, make sure all is OK and generally make sure that your flight is enjoyable.

At least it happens to me (obvious when in F, but also happens in WT+ and CW, and last nights flight had a very nice csd who even offered to solve a few EC issues I had when he get back to the UK)

Small thing, maybe not related to gold, but either way, its a very nice extra touch ^
Old Sep 16, 2009, 7:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
True, I get equal status as AA Executive Plat for priority standby purposes as OW Emerald. Often seen my name at the top of the list.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by natkraft
Another thing, however I am not sure if it is because the gold status, is that the CSD will come and talk to you no matter which cabin you sit in, make sure all is OK and generally make sure that your flight is enjoyable.

At least it happens to me (obvious when in F, but also happens in WT+ and CW, and last nights flight had a very nice csd who even offered to solve a few EC issues I had when he get back to the UK)

Small thing, maybe not related to gold, but either way, its a very nice extra touch ^
In 8 years of Gold, that has happened about 5% of the time for me. GGL has helped but the greeting is still in the minority especially on shorthaul.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 7:56 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
In 8 years of Gold, that has happened about 5% of the time for me. GGL has helped but the greeting is still in the minority especially on shorthaul.
In fewer years of Gold, I think I'm running about 10%.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 8:04 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by johnny5a
Also one internal flight, an agent went down the queue, checking BPs and picked out my wife (who was at the back of the queue, while I was sat down, letting her do the queuing) for preferred boarding and brought her forward, I quickly got up and joined her.....

That is what I call service.
With respect to all of the BA posters, I cannot picture that ever happening on BA.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 8:06 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Firstly congratulations on reaching Gold. I suspect there are more GCHs falling off Gold tier rather than climbing up so you are part of a (relatively) select band.

However don't get your hopes up that there will be a suite of miraculous subtle changes. If there are, I haven't noticed them!

I do appreciate lounge access anytime as a published benefit. Once onboard I rarely see any difference in the attitude of the crew or visits from the CSD than I did before I had any status at all. I certainly noticed no difference from when I was Silver.

Originally Posted by rfrost
Maybe 5% for me other than when travelling in F. I do notice that I'm more likely to be addressed by name on boarding on Dom and shorthaul but that appears to be about it!

As other posters have mentioned, I have noticed more "special" treatment with other OW airlines (specifically KA, CX and AA) as a OW Emerald than I ever have with BA - harsh but undeniably true...
Old Sep 16, 2009, 8:08 am

Programs: BAEC, SK *G, Hyatt GP Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by rfrost
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
I agree on the shorthaul note, it has never happened at all for me in shorthaul, but for longhaul I think I am in the 75-80% range, and with the last year or two it has been consistently `enforced`. They seem to like to talk and dont mind wasting a couple of minutes either. Perhaps I am just lucky?
Old Sep 16, 2009, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
The big difference for me is that I got upgraded about 5 out of 10 flights since. 4 were on short haul but also on LHR-CPT. 4x BA and one time CX.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by henkybaby
The big difference for me is that I got upgraded about 5 out of 10 flights since. 4 were on short haul but also on LHR-CPT. 4x BA and one time CX.
I can't tell whether I have a better chance of an upgrade with BA, as the aircraft I tend to fly only has J, WTP+ & Y and I'm flying J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.