Ownership Status: Chartered
Registered Owners:
BRITISH AIRWAYS PLC
WATERSIDE (HAA3)
PO BOX 365, HARMONDSWORTH
WEST DRAYTON
UB7 0GB

Old Sep 15, 2009, 5:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
So why was it reregistered in 2000 when it was delivered in 1990? Is this one of the ones that was on loan to QF?
Old Sep 15, 2009, 5:07 am

Programs: BA Silver / Bonyoy Platinum
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
So why was it reregistered in 2000 when it was delivered in 1990? Is this one of the ones that was on loan to QF?
G-INFO only states the 2/90 registration in the aircrafts history. Where was the reference to the 2000 registration?
Old Sep 15, 2009, 5:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Amex and some hotels
Originally Posted by kered
Sad news indeed

I've flown on G-BLNG a few times & have often seen it at LHR when passing through. It's kinda like a landmark at Heathrow for me & always look out for it.
OK, if it's not a silly question.....

How do you know what plane you're on?
I've never really bothered to take any notice of the reg of planes I've flown on, and often it's not possible to see the reg letters down by the tail (jetway without windows etc.). I guess there's a plaque inside or something, is there?

Also, why is G-BLNG a landmark any more than any other BA 744? (or is that just personal because of "something" that happened on board, Kered? )
Old Sep 15, 2009, 5:42 am

Programs: BA LT Gold, HH Diamond
OK, so we (and I include myself in this) are all getting very weepy over the thought of our beloved 747-400s ending their days in the dessert (no doubt with scorpions ) and knashing our collective teeth at the thought of having to travel in the Devil's own transport (aka 777s), but would anyone out there actually jump airline and move over to Beardyair, Singapore, Cathay, Qantas etc to avoid the 777?? Surely that's all BA really care about (and probably rightly too from a shareholder point of view). While I might juggle routes (SYD via BKK rather than SIN) to avoid the 777, would I regularly use VS or ANA or JAL to NRT... I doubt it. Nor would I risk slippy slidey slopey seats on a QF 747.... so is anyone really planning on jumping ship over the loss of the lovely 747s and their upper decks....
Old Sep 15, 2009, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Tripophile
I had clicked on a link in an earlier post that said the aircraft first flew on 10 February 1990 and was delivered to BA on 27 February 1990
Originally Posted by Dr Dave
G-BNLG was delivered on 27th February 1990 (not 2000)
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
Originally Posted by Aerotec
G-INFO only states the 2/90 registration in the aircrafts history. Where was the reference to the 2000 registration?
Note to self: Do not post when jet lagged, especially if it involves mental arithmetic. Many apologies - I've now fixed the year in my earlier post. 1990 is the correct year for LF and LG. Sorry for the confusion!
Old Sep 15, 2009, 6:05 am

Programs: BA
It's hardly the end of the day for the 747 ... If BA have 57 & are storing a total of 8 then they still have a pretty large fleet!
Old Sep 15, 2009, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LHR-HUB
How do you know what plane you're on?
I've never really bothered to take any notice of the reg of planes I've flown on, and often it's not possible to see the reg letters down by the tail (jetway without windows etc.). I guess there's a plaque inside or something, is there?
On BA aircraft, the registration can usually be found inside very near the doors usually used for boarding (eg 2L and 2R in particular on 747s) and other doors as well. Sometimes it's quite formal - a little plastic plaque. Other times (perhaps when the plastic plaque has gone walkies), it's been scrawled on the wall in felt tip or biro. But I get the impression that the registration is something that the cabin crew need to know for some purposes, hence it's readily visible to them.

In addition, the registration is almost always indicated somewhere on the outside of the aircraft at the front. The nosewheel doors are the most common place; also, above the flight deck windows. This won't be the full registration, but it'll be enough to tell you which aircraft if you know the way that the fleet has been registered (eg NLH on the nosewheel doors of a BA 747 will tell you that it Never Leaves the Hangar whoops, sorry, that it's G-BNLH).
Originally Posted by r22r44bell47
... would anyone out there actually jump airline and move over to Beardyair, Singapore, Cathay, Qantas etc to avoid the 777?
I think that if I were a regular 747 upper deck denizen, I would think quite hard about it. But even then it would only be one factor in a number. I wouldn't choose a 747 over others merely for its own sake, but because it offers a better experience - the 747 upper deck experience is pretty special.

But in any case, you wouldn't always get a 747 even if you did move. BA has actually been slower than many other airlines in moving away from them, for a variety of different reasons. And if you're looking for a good experience, other aircraft can offer more in some ways - the 380's interior noise levels are now a big draw for me.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 6:40 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
Its Marilyn Monroe vs Joe Brand really though
Old Sep 15, 2009, 6:42 am

Programs: BAEC, HHonors, East Coast Mainline, Sheraton
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
They have to walk back, they get given a bottle of Highland Spring though
BA seem to like their Highland Spring. I have never been on a BA flight were it has not been served. On another note NLH is next apparently next which went to QF for a while after 9/11 It has a bad reputation I know that hence its Never Leaves Hanger nick name.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 6:45 am

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
Interestingly what this does say is that BA were able to get B747-400's and flying them almost within a year of the first one taking flight with Northwest Airlines in February 1989.

Therefore is is not surprising this particular aircraft is being stored.

Anyone else find it really odd to see Delta 747-400's (the ex-Northwest ones)?

Watching the apron from the Delta Skyroom in Atlanta last week, there was one very smokey Delta 747-400 heading for Narita (I think).

Quite amazing how quickly Delta have repainted them.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyclub
Interestingly what this does say is that BA were able to get B747-400's and flying them almost within a year of the first one taking flight with Northwest Airlines in February 1989.
IIRC, BA was a launch customer for the 744.

And it was an experience which has coloured BA's subsequent approach to ordering aircraft.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 6:58 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Anyone else find it really odd to see Delta 747-400's (the ex-Northwest ones)?
I do find it difficult to equate Delta with 747 in my head. Just doesn't work.

Watching the apron from the Delta Skyroom in Atlanta last week, there was one very smokey Delta 747-400 heading for Narita (I think).
Very OT, ISTR that the old MD-11 was quite the lemon on that route. Quite frequently, it would run into severe headwinds in western Canada and would have to stop in Anchorage to refuel.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 7:10 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
[QUOTE=r22r44bell47;12382530]OK, so we (and I include myself in this) are all getting very weepy over the thought of our beloved 747-400s ending their days in the dessert (no doubt with scorpions ) and knashing our collective teeth at the thought of having to travel in the Devil's own transport (aka 777s), but would anyone out there actually jump airline and move over to Beardyair, Singapore, Cathay, Qantas etc to avoid the 777?? [QUOTE]

Umm.... yes, depsite loathing VS (and the JFK roach house), the non-AVOD 777s are worse still...
Old Sep 15, 2009, 10:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
One can also find the reg of BA 747-400s printed on a plaque inside the CSD's 'office' under the stairs, as well as on both sides of the rear fuselage (below door 5) and on the top of the tail (final two letters onlY).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.