First 747-400 leaves for desert

Old Sep 14, 09, 5:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
He'd better grab 777Driver as a handle before it gets snapped up.
Not likely if his signature is anything to go by
Old Sep 14, 09, 5:42 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, Bronze
Originally Posted by AGSF View Post
The 747 is an icon, in a way that the 777 and the A380 never can be. Much like Concorde, its design is absoultely timeless. It still looks amazing some 40 years later. The 777 is just too plain, and looks like an overgrown 737 (even though I think it is a great plane -- I still remember my first 777 flight back in 1996). Don't get me started on the A380.

I've never been one to take pictures on planes, but I have a a handful of BA 744 flights scheduled for later this year, and I think I'm going to start taking a few photos.
I'm sorry, but the A380 is already an icon, it might not be pretty, but it's the first plane since the 747 and Concorde that I've heard the general public talk about.
Old Sep 15, 09, 1:47 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Furton View Post
I'm sorry, but the A380 is already an icon, it might not be pretty, but it's the first plane since the 747 and Concorde that I've heard the general public talk about.
A lot of talk doesn't make an icon. I agree that the A380 lacks the design qualities of some of its predecessors that are true icons. The A380 is just big and fat and, as we all know, obesity isn't a good thing!
Old Sep 15, 09, 1:53 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
This is duly really sad, as I love the aircraft, and trained as cabin crew on it in 1974, albeit now left, but 747 is really my baby, and my husband always worked as a structural engineer on the big bird, will avoid flights if possible on 777 and go by 747. Please do not yet get rid of them all for a while.
Old Sep 15, 09, 3:01 am

Programs: No longer bothered chasing FF status.
Sad news indeed

I've flown on G-BLNG a few times & have often seen it at LHR when passing through. It's kinda like a landmark at Heathrow for me & always look out for it.

Sorry to see it go

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl View Post
Utterly stupid I know, but I feel really sorry for it sat out there on its own (as a BA aircraft) gathering dust. It's not as if the plane has feelings.....
I know exactly what you mean. While it may not have feelings, it did have character.

Being a right sad, soppy git, I often think of inanimate objects such as aircraft & cars as having a personality. So Iím right there with you sunrisegirl thinking of the aircraft sitting out in the desert, itís days of cruising the skies over, awaiting whatever fate is in store for it
Old Sep 15, 09, 3:11 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
At nearly 20 years old, it must be one of the first 747 400's BA acquired (were they introduced by Boeing in 1989?)
Just wondering how old the 200 series were on average before BA retired them?

I agree with the sentiments and sadness expressed. The 747, along with Concorde, QE2 and Apollo represent late 1960s design icons.
Old Sep 15, 09, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by gms View Post
A lot of talk doesn't make an icon. I agree that the A380 lacks the design qualities of some of its predecessors that are true icons. The A380 is just big and fat and, as we all know, obesity isn't a good thing!
A380 is big, but no fatter than 747. Approx same width.
Old Sep 15, 09, 3:18 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by brunos View Post
A380 is big, but no fatter than 747. Approx same width.
Its Marilyn Monroe vs Joe Brand really though
Old Sep 15, 09, 3:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Panic Stations View Post
BA pilots, usually management.
But how do they get back after flying there?

More importantly, will there be a member of cabin crew to make their coffee and meals or will they have to make their own coffee and meals.
Old Sep 15, 09, 3:41 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by KenJohn View Post
But how do they get back after flying there?
They have to walk back, they get given a bottle of Highland Spring though
Old Sep 15, 09, 3:52 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj View Post
They have to walk back, they get given a bottle of Highland Spring though
I believe that's been enhanced. They now get a water cuplet...
Old Sep 15, 09, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Tripophile View Post
At nearly 20 years old, it must be one of the first 747 400's BA acquired (were they introduced by Boeing in 1989?)
The CAA says that LG was registered on 23 February 1990.

The first 744 delivered to BA was LA, registered on 30 June 1989; and LB, LC, LD and LE were delivered before LG.

LF was registered on 23 February 1990, the same date as LG.

Another source suggests that the actual delivery dates for LF and LG were 28 February 1990 and 27 February 1990 respectively, so very slightly out of sequence.

I'm also very sad to see the aircraft being stored. But it looks like all of the stored aircraft remain registered. Storage isn't abandonment; it still costs the company a significant amount of money to keep the aircraft airworthy. And so I cling to the hope that this continuing investment means that the company still sees a real possibility that it will need the lift in future if demand comes back at a faster rate than can be satisfied by future new deliveries.

[Note: Year for LF and LG now corrected.]

Last edited by Globaliser; Sep 15, 09 at 5:40 am Reason: I can't add up. 1989+1 would have been easy if I hadn't been jet lagged.
Old Sep 15, 09, 4:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
The CAA says that LG was registered on 23 February 2000.

The first 744 delivered to BA was LA, registered on 30 June 1989; and LB, LC, LD and LE were delivered before LG.

LF was registered on 23 February 2000, the same date as LG.

Another source suggests that the actual delivery dates for LF and LG were 28 February 2000 and 27 February 2000 respectively, so very slightly out of sequence.

I'm also very sad to see the aircraft being stored. But it looks like all of the stored aircraft remain registered. Storage isn't abandonment; it still costs the company a significant amount of money to keep the aircraft airworthy. And so I cling to the hope that this continuing investment means that the company still sees a real possibility that it will need the lift in future if demand comes back at a faster rate than can be satisfied by future new deliveries.
Thanks for the details Globaliser. I had clicked on a link in an earlier post that said the aircraft first flew on 10 February 1990 and was delivered to BA on 27 February 1990, which is why I thought it was coming up for 20 years old:

http://www.airfleets.net/ficheapp/plane-b747-24049.htm
Old Sep 15, 09, 4:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold; Priority Club Gold
Originally Posted by Tripophile View Post
Thanks for the details Globaliser. I had clicked on a link in an earlier post that said the aircraft first flew on 10 February 1990 and was delivered to BA on 27 February 1990, which is why I thought it was coming up for 20 years old:

http://www.airfleets.net/ficheapp/plane-b747-24049.htm
G-BNLG was delivered on 27th February 1990 (not 2000), so is 19 years old. CAA reg look up (G-INFO) says "Current Reg. Date: 23/02/1990; Year built: 1989"

DD
Old Sep 15, 09, 4:48 am

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
The CAA says that LG was registered on 23 February 2000.

LF was registered on 23 February 2000, the same date as LG.

Another source suggests that the actual delivery dates for LF and LG were 28 February 2000 and 27 February 2000 respectively, so very slightly out of sequence.

Boeing says the last of the 57 747-400s delivered to BA was on April 29, 1999.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: