Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bad customer service? Gold member trying to enter the lounge at Heathrow

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bad customer service? Gold member trying to enter the lounge at Heathrow

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2009, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by baggageinhall
That is precisely the problem. Where someone uses their discretion to allow something that is contrary to the rules, it most cases the beneficiary supplants the actual rule with 'what happened last time'.

As someone who used to work in the service industry, the most dreaded phrase to hear from a customer was 'but I was allowed to do it last time'.

The second paragraph is fallacious; if the lounge is empty can should I be able to bring 10 guests in?

On a related note, over the last few weeks this board seems to be filled with stories of

i. BA not bending the rules to a passengers liking
ii. OP being unhappy and posting about in on FT in the hope that we will all agree
iii. Some agreeing but the majority not
iv. OP getting offended at the lack of universal agreement; usually citing the fact that disagreement with their view has been too vociferous
iv. OP linking BA's actions with their financial results; despite the fact that BA have been turning a GCH's second guest away since the dawn of time.

Re the final point above, I remember that when the economy was good, people chastised BA for not bending the rules and that 'they could take their custom elsewhere'. Now that the economy is stalling, people chastise BA for not bending the rules and that 'they could take their custom elsewhere'.

I wish your boss good luck in finding another airline that allows him two guests as a top tier elite. I have no idea whether there is one, if not, he is left in the same position.

I agree with you, its just sad and a very easy was to lose customers. I just want BA to implement a new system. Try it once, you get away with it but you get informed of the rules for next time so nobody gets embarrassed and everyone knows the rules. I don't think that system would be too hard to implement. Or why not send every Gold member an "invitation pass" in the post, this way it would promote the rules and the airline if anyone wanted to bring ONE friend in. Just some ideas to avoid going down this slippery road with one in every thousand customers.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by awestphal
Plus, 3 year old's (at least mine) can be easily be diverted with ice cream (now, try THAT with a DYKWIA ).
The DYKWIA can be diverted with a bottle of Bollie
Old Sep 7, 2009, 9:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold, Priority Club Platinum, Best Western Diamond
[QUOTE=latitude;12342817]I'm not so sure.

I was there last week. Seated by the F entrance so I could see the big departure screens I saw probably 3 or 4 BA staff (in uniform) in the space of an hour come in, turn right and right again.

The staff were probably going to the customer service desk.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 9:42 am

Some airlines choose to explain that children less than a certain age are not counted as guests. BA doesn't.

This leads to ambiguity at times with lounge entrance... perhaps tied along the line of lounge agents who like children, vs those who don't or possibly evenly split down mood lines.

Then there are staff who enforce the rules 'to the book' at all times.

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by familyfox
[/B]

.... but you get informed of the rules for next time so nobody gets embarrassed and everyone knows the rules.
Isn't this what the membership handbook and list of benefits is for?

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
I wonder if part of the problem is cause at T5 lounge agents rotating to other duties resulting in:
- them not knowing the rules
- an inconsistent application or disapplication of the rules
- being accountable on how they speak to customers
- frosty staff because they hate lounge agent duties

We do not hear as many complaints about LGW lounges; unsure if it is because there is less traffic through there or a more consistent application of rules.

The cause of the issue appears to be that some lounge agents have been allowing a third child guest in a relaxation of the rule. If all the agents had said no to your boss from the start, this situation would never have arisen.

Some agents may have difficulty saying no knowing full well that the rules may not make sense. The problem arises when another agent then applies the rules as instructed because they are new or are in fear of being disciplined by management for not applying the rules.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 9:46 am

Programs: BAEC
I do agree rules are rules...i think its time for BA to review the rules, especially for gold members who travel to North America in first several times a year and to Asia in First several times a year.

I am upset because i will not get to use BA on my business travels anymore...any big BA fans should feel that the rules need to be looked at to avoid losing big customers.
As a shareholder and silver card holder, I am more than happy with the current rules....thanks.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 9:47 am

[img]I was there last week. Seated by the F entrance so I could see the big departure screens I saw probably 3 or 4 BA staff (in uniform) in the space of an hour come in, turn right and right again.
[/img]

They would have been going to the Lounge Customer service desk and entrance desks.
BA staff can get in to the lounges if they have their own silver or gold cards, and of course go by the rules set out by those cards.

Regarding the ask once, but not again idea, that would not work I don't think as it would be very hard to manage. The voucher idea sounds good though.

Your boss did not like the rule and wanted it bent, and was unhappy it was not.
Would the same happen if someone asked him to be able to do something that goes against the rules I guess as boss he would have set out?
Of course this question as well is asked many times in the day as well.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bafan
As a shareholder and silver card holder, I am more than happy with the current rules....thanks.
I assume you were happy for your shares to devalue over the last year as well? as a shareholder surely these are issues which you should be alarmed about and look to address before BA loses anymore customers.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 9:48 am

Programs: BA
[/B]

I agree with you, its just sad and a very easy was to lose customers.
Perhaps that should read "... petty customers"

I'm sure BA get dozens of customers daily claiming they'll never fly them again ... then they'll be back onboard the following week/month/year! I would imagine this scenario is true for every airline.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zamoyska
Perhaps that should read "... petty customers"

I'm sure BA get dozens of customers daily claiming they'll never fly them again ... then they'll be back onboard the following week/month/year! I would imagine this scenario is true for every airline.
depends what side of this you look at. I see BA being petty for turning away a gold member for trying to bring in his three year old daughter...

We are not Swiss air...rules are there and they work, i've never been disrupted in the lounge etc...but to not allow a 3 year old in and risk upsetting a customer is just pathetic. if it were two three year olds fine etc etc. I just feel BA need to review this.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 9:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum
Personally I think a little latitude should be given to families with younger children. Yes, the rules are only one guest but you are penalising a Gold cardholder and family by not allowing a 3yr old into the lounge. I haven't begun breeding yet but lounge are one of the big benefits to my elite status and if I knew an agent was going to deny me access I'd probably be less inclined to book a trip on BA if I was flying on a ticket which didn't give me lounge access.

Why don't BA look at giving a handful of passes with promotion and renewal packs that allow extra guests (maybe even limited to under 12s) to be brought into the GC for Silvers, and GF for Golds. If it was half a dozen then you could do three return trips per year as a family with one kid, a figure I suspect is fairly average for family holidays for a Silver or Gold.

Originally Posted by tom139
+1

familyfox, many high value GGL must spend close to this personally. If your boss is so important then why doesn't he fly by private jet????
Ridiculous. Private jets cost many magnitudes of the most flexible F ticket.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 9:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Originally Posted by KenJohn
I wonder if part of the problem is cause at T5 lounge agents rotating to other duties resulting in:
- them not knowing the rules
- an inconsistent application or disapplication of the rules
- being accountable on how they speak to customers
- frosty staff because they hate lounge agent duties

We do not hear as many complaints about LGW lounges; unsure if it is because there is less traffic through there or a more consistent application of rules.

The cause of the issue appears to be that some lounge agents have been allowing a third child guest in a relaxation of the rule. If all the agents had said no to your boss from the start, this situation would never have arisen.

Some agents may have difficulty saying no knowing full well that the rules may not make sense. The problem arises when another agent then applies the rules as instructed because they are new or are in fear of being disciplined by management for not applying the rules.
You've hit the nail on the head here. The OP said that the rules had been waived before but what we don't know is whether the Lounge Dragon explained that they were waiving the rules as a one-off. I also have sympathy with them as they must have loads of people wanting to blag their way in and patience must wear thin when you get to the hundredth person!

On the other side of the coin we have had plenty of posts from FT'ers being denied lounge access that they were entitled to (onward flights in F etc) so BA aren't squeeky clean either. They are not nicknamed Dragons for nothing in this forum.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 9:55 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Why should they waive these for your boss rather than any of the bosses who post here?

Actually, I suspect that if the senior management at BA see this, they will have two reactions. The first will be - here we go again. The number of bosses and whoever tell me that they are taking 6 or 7 figure acccounts away from the airline because of whatever affront to their dignity have over the years run to millions - assuming that they carried out this threat. The second will be to find out exactly who was working in the lounge to find out if they know anything about this incident, and congratulate them for doing their job.

I also am intrigued why your bosses decisions should affect your personal travel. Who you fly on your time is your business and no one elses.
As always lots of sense quoted here. ^

This lounge entry theme is becoming very tedious. The rules are very clear - you are allowed one guest. You can choose whether to take your wife, husband, partner, child or any waif or stray you've picked up along the way but you're only allowed ONE guest.

So "it was only a child". Do you have any idea how many children the lounge staff get asked to allow in every day as an extra guest? Try multiplying your request by 100 or more and you'll soon see what a problem this is for the lounge staff.

The lounge is supposed to be a quiet haven for our premium customers, not one overrun by extra children (or other guests) of every card holder who thinks the rules should be bent just for them.

As a silver card holder I always go in the lounge alone, but when I travel with my family I'd like them both to come in with me. The rules say I can't do this so I have to accept it, just like I have to accept a myriad of rules applied by a variety of other companies when I use them.

If you do a search you'll find numerous threads about this over the years, the latest one having been started just a few days ago as per this here

Last edited by sunrisegirl; Sep 7, 2009 at 10:09 am
Old Sep 7, 2009, 10:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
I just hope majority of the population do not think the way majority of this forum does, otherwise there wont be too much to discuss in a few years if BA keep making BASIC errors to upset (what i feel) are big spending customers.
I can assure you they don't, especially the way this forum has become of late

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.