Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

2 hour transit at SIN (BA15) - practical to get landside?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2009, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC

Hi all

I'm flying LHR-SIN-SYD on BA15 next week with a couple of friends and was wondering if anyone has experience of getting landside at SIN during the transit? As far as I know it is theoretically possible in terms of entering the country without needing a visa etc, I'm just slightly worried with the timings. BA15 is scheduled to arrive from LHR at 5.35pm and the SYD leg departs at 7.45pm so it gives us just over 2 hours.

I have a friend in Singapore who is keen to say hi as we pass through, and the plan was that we'd go landside quickly and catch up for a quick drink, then head back airside to board BA15 for the next leg.

Any SIN experience on whether this is going to be practical would be appreciated.

Thanks

Speedbird2
Old Sep 4, 2009, 5:47 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Shouldn't be a problem - security at SIN is done at the gate, so it doesn't really matter whether you are transitting or originating in SIN, as far as that all goes.

Since your bags will be checked through, you won't need to worry about luggage collection, so it will be a simple matter of going trhough immigration (easily done), out through customs (nothing to devlare) and then you will be in the public area - should take all of about 10 minutes.

Dave
Old Sep 5, 2009, 1:41 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
Agree - getting out of SIN through immigration etc is a doddle: I do it about once per week and it's never taken me more than 20 mins from gate to the taxi ranks, usually closer to 10-12 mins!

Gates for all onwards flights open 60 mins prior to departure and close 10 (!!) mins prior to ETD, so you should have plenty of time to meet you friend!

After having gone through LHR over the past 8 years, whenever I go through my new home airport SIN, I feel like I'm in Heaven... ^
Old Sep 5, 2009, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Thanks guys, that's what I wanted to hear!
Old Sep 5, 2009, 11:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/125)

Exiting SIN is fast. Precise timing only depends on the length of the immigration queue which clears quickly anyway. Do not exit SIN if you have a tempreture as they do scan arrivals for H1N1 but that is about it. Entry into departures is equally fast. You might just have to explain to immigration that you are catching up with a friend outside for a short visit.

I have landside in T2, collect bags, taken the landside shuttle train to T1, checked-in and reached passport control in 20 mins. SIN is a very efficient airport.

No problem finding a cafe landside for a comfortable chat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.