Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

1-hour International Transit in T5 -- Possible?

1-hour International Transit in T5 -- Possible?

Old Sep 1, 09, 4:46 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: LAX/SNA
Programs: AA PLT/1.9MM
Posts: 500
1-hour International Transit in T5 -- Possible?

Sorry for the noobie question...this is my first time on BA. A search was inconclusive.

I have a ticket on hold for mid-October that has me arriving at T5 on BA0006 from NRT at 2:50pm. Can I possibly make a connection at 4:00pm on BA0269 to LAX, also out of T5?

BA seems to think this is a valid connection, although the past few days the flight from NRT has arrived 15 mins to 1 hour late. However the connecting flight to LAX has been 30-45 mins late as well.

The only other flight to LAX leaves the next day, so I'm assuming BA would put me up if I miss the connection due to their ops.

I'm AA PLT if that means anything, like getting me through Fast Track.
Jumpcut is offline  
Old Sep 1, 09, 4:49 pm
  #2  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,959
Is this do-able - yes it certainly is.

If you arrive into T5B (which is the small building) then do check the critical flight connections screen to see if the onward flight it going from T5B too. If so, then you can go through security in T5B which invariably has no queue.

If you are running late, you could always ask the crew to get you off quickly at LHR.
andset1191 is offline  
Old Sep 1, 09, 5:00 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Edinburgh, UK
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 182
Originally Posted by andset1191 View Post
Is this do-able - yes it certainly is.

If you arrive into T5B (which is the small building) then do check the critical flight connections screen to see if the onward flight it going from T5B too. If so, then you can go through security in T5B which invariably has no queue.

If you are running late, you could always ask the crew to get you off quickly at LHR.
This may well be invalid for you when you travel but the last few times I've been on this flight, it has left from the dreaded A10 busing gate.
mmfraser is offline  
Old Sep 1, 09, 5:06 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: LAX/SNA
Programs: AA PLT/1.9MM
Posts: 500
Originally Posted by mmfraser View Post
This may well be invalid for you when you travel but the last few times I've been on this flight, it has left from the dreaded A10 busing gate.
The past few days both flights have arrived and departed from T5, but I can't tell from the BA website whether it's T5-A or B.

I may just take my chances if BA will put me up overnight in order to take the next flight to LAX, which isn't until the following morning.
Jumpcut is offline  
Old Sep 1, 09, 5:25 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ARN
Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
Posts: 3,585
If BA agrees that it's a valid connection, go for it!

The worst thing that can happen is that you get a free hotel stay at LHR (Hilton, Sofitel, ParkInn) with free meals. You will also be able to enjoy the beautiful galleries lounges and maybe some shopping in London.
Lobengula is offline  
Old Sep 1, 09, 6:01 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: LAX/SNA
Programs: AA PLT/1.9MM
Posts: 500
Originally Posted by Lobengula View Post
If BA agrees that it's a valid connection, go for it!

The worst thing that can happen is that you get a free hotel stay at LHR (Hilton, Sofitel, ParkInn) with free meals. You will also be able to enjoy the beautiful galleries lounges and maybe some shopping in London.
Sounds like a plan! It's bookable on the BA website. I've never actually stayed overnight in London, only transited, so it will be a new experience for me. Thanks everyone for the replies.
Jumpcut is offline  
Old Sep 1, 09, 7:33 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mostly London
Programs: BAEC Gold, Amex and some hotels
Posts: 1,307
Hi, not to answer you question but to satisfy my own curiosity... (sorry)

Why would you fly via LHR to get from NRT to LAX? (If it was me, I'd go via HNL (and have done a few times) and spend a couple of days on the beach.)

The only thing I can think of is that your on a RTW (xonex) in which case, why not stay a night in London anyway, or spend a little time in Europe somewhere (assuming you have spare sectors on your tkt)??

Of course, there is a cost to this (hotel etc.,) but there are some great deals around for accom. at the moment so it wouldn't cost too much.

Just my opinion anyway...

Anyway, I believe this x-fer is doable - and as has been said, if BA allows it to be booked, they'll spike you a hotel if you can't make it.
LHR-HUB is offline  
Old Sep 1, 09, 9:11 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Programs: AC Elite
Posts: 34
I have had a short connection like that before. It is doable at T5. HOWEVER, be aware that your luggage may not transfer in time. If that happens and your destination does not have more than 1 service a day from LHR (such as VCE) that you may be without luggage for up to 72 hours.

Good luck!
yyzlhrismyroute is offline  
Old Sep 1, 09, 10:10 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: LAX/SNA
Programs: AA PLT/1.9MM
Posts: 500
Originally Posted by LHR-HUB View Post
Hi, not to answer you question but to satisfy my own curiosity... (sorry)

Why would you fly via LHR to get from NRT to LAX? (If it was me, I'd go via HNL (and have done a few times) and spend a couple of days on the beach.)

The only thing I can think of is that your on a RTW (xonex) in which case, why not stay a night in London anyway, or spend a little time in Europe somewhere (assuming you have spare sectors on your tkt)??

Of course, there is a cost to this (hotel etc.,) but there are some great deals around for accom. at the moment so it wouldn't cost too much.

Just my opinion anyway...

Anyway, I believe this x-fer is doable - and as has been said, if BA allows it to be booked, they'll spike you a hotel if you can't make it.
I agree it's an unusual itinerary, but I'm one of the winners in BA's Face of Opportunity contest. More info here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...announced.html

I'm staying in London on the way over, then off to Tokyo from there. I have to return thru London as well, hence the odd flight plan.
Jumpcut is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: