HEL Lounge! Asia Miles and Snoring in F!

Old Aug 29, 09, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
HEL Lounge! Asia Miles and Snoring in F!

Wife and I off to Helsinki soon on BA in Y - used all our money on F to SYD this summer! I am Gold she is Silver - Can we both use new BA lounge in T3 (What is it like btw?) and a lounge in Helsinki (do BA have one or ..?)

also

after a misguided airport paid upgrade on Cathay from C to F years ago I have some Asia Miles which are about to expire - does anyone know if they can be added or transferred to BA exec ??

Thank You

Also as a loud snorer does anyone know what cabin crew in F are trained to do if a passenger (ie me!) snores and disturbs others - just curious as a DYKWIA lady on the way back from SIN last month complained about me and the cabin crew asled my wife to wake me and then I had to force myself to stay awake for the next 10 hours and as I had paid over 5K I was a bit miffed! there are ear plugs in the amenity kit ..... any ideas for a cure!
Old Aug 29, 09, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Originally Posted by HTflyer View Post

Also as a loud snorer does anyone know what cabin crew in F are trained to do if a passenger (ie me!) snores and disturbs others - just curious as a DYKWIA lady on the way back from SIN last month complained about me and the cabin crew asled my wife to wake me and then I had to force myself to stay awake for the next 10 hours and as I had paid over 5K I was a bit miffed! there are ear plugs in the amenity kit ..... any ideas for a cure!
As you rightly point out that's what the ear plugs are for. I wouldn't be too happy if I was woken up by request from the cabin crew especially when travelling in paid F. I would be demanding compensation.
Old Aug 29, 09, 4:34 pm

As a former heavy snorer - my downstairs neighbour, though a mentalist, did explore her options in having me issued with an ASBO - I can tell you this: no booze (especially red wine), Snoreze spray and BreatheRight nasal strips help keep the din down to survivable levels.

I feel your pain, though. I've felt the daggers shot at me after overnights in F from LAX or SIN.

Sad to say, the only really answer is to lose the weight. I'm still plugging away at it, but there's no doubt that, in my case, I sound a lot better at 17st 12lbs than I did at 30st 4lbs.
Old Aug 29, 09, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTG + Platinum, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Yes of course you can use the BA lounge in T3. The First lounge isn't open yet so you both have access to the Galleries Club in your own right as a Gold and a Silver...or indeed as a guest of the other person instead! It's a very nice lounge, in proper Galleries style. I was most impressed.

HEL lounge is the AY one. To the left side is the J/Silver bit. To the right, the longhaul J/Emerald bit. Marginally (very marginally these days ) better stuff on the right. You'll be able to go there and guest your wife over as a Gold.

I used to like the HEL lounge a lot, but the offerings have gone downhill over time. However, there's now free wifi at least.
Old Aug 29, 09, 4:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Wife and I off to Helsinki soon on BA in Y - used all our money on F to SYD this summer! I am Gold she is Silver - Can we both use new BA lounge in T3 (What is it like btw?) and a lounge in Helsinki (do BA have one or ..?)
There is currently only a Galleries lounge in T3, so both you can access in your own right. When Galleries First opens in late Oct (?), you can guest her in with your Gold card.

There is a Finnair lounge in HEL. Business Class lounge turn left, First lounge turn right. Again, you can guest her into the First lounge. Its OK, nothing wonderful. Not as good as BA but there is some drink and cold food on offer - very Scandinavian.
Old Aug 30, 09, 1:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, AY
If you click on the links to my trip reports below, you'll find photos of Finnair's HEL lounge under TR1 and photos and videos of BA's T3 Galleries Club under TR2. BA's LHR T3 lounge wins hands down, although Finnair's lounge in HEL isn't horrible (like their ARN lounge is). Enjoy your trip!
Old Aug 30, 09, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Loud snoring is not the best example of manners if it is disturbing other passengers.

If someone knows they have a particular problem with snoring then they should take steps to ensure that disruption to other passengers is miniminsed.

In addition to the measures already outlined above - I have noticed a lot of people seem to snore while sleeping on their back. If this is case then they should change the position in which they sleep.

Just like you wouldn't go to the movies and talk, you shouldn't board a flight and snore loudly. And it doesn't matter which class you are travelling in. Why should someone have free reign to inconvenience other passengers just because they are in First (as has been suggested).

Big ^ to the OP for their consideration in staying awake. Earplugs do not always compensate for the noise - especially in the initial stages while someone is trying to get to sleep. (I once asked a passenger who was snoring particularly loudly to stay awake for 20 minutes while at least I could get to sleep. This seemed to be an ok compromise.)

regards

lme ff

Last edited by LHR/MEL/Europe FF; Aug 30, 09 at 4:26 am Reason: spelling
Old Aug 30, 09, 4:07 am

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
t ..... any ideas for a cure!
I had this problem, heavy snoring. My dentist told me that alcohol in combination with that I'm a bit heavy did this.

So I obviously can't give up alcohol and good food

The solution was a snore guard:

http://www.doctorspiller.com/snore_g...PA%20Appliance

I have the one called "fixed-jaw relation snore guard"

Never have a problem as long as I remember to use it. So I sleep better and I'm sure that it's appreciated by those around me. The only problem is cost. It's custom made in a laboratory and I think I paid $800 including two visits to the dentist.
Old Aug 30, 09, 5:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, M&M, PC PlatAmb, Marriott, SPG
I was in HEL earlier this month and the AY lounge (Gold lounge or whatever it's called) is under renovation until later in the year... The SilverWings lounge was open (Gold and Silver can both get in, even bring a guest along), but kinda crowded and nothing too special tbh, but there's self-service beer on tap
Old Aug 30, 09, 6:55 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by Shinigami View Post
I was in HEL earlier this month and the AY lounge (Gold lounge or whatever it's called) is under renovation until later in the year... The SilverWings lounge was open (Gold and Silver can both get in, even bring a guest along), but kinda crowded and nothing too special tbh, but there's self-service beer on tap
AFAIK, the renovation schedule at HEL for this autumn and winter is as follows:

The non-Schengen terminal extension opened on August 27th. At this time only a few shops and two new longhaul gates are available.

Most of the shops and restaurants there will start operating on September 15th and on the same day two more new longhaul gates will also be ready for widebodies. Also fast track transit security should be ready then for status and short connection passengers. Unfortunately no fast track announced for passengers staring their journey at HEL.

And finally, on December 11th the new 1000m2 lounge (shower rooms, food buffet, wine bar and day rooms) and 600m2 spa (four saunas, pool and massage services) will open their doors in the extension part.
Old Aug 30, 09, 11:01 am

Programs: OW Sapphire, EBS
Gateway and Golden gate lounge have been closed for the summer, but with no renovations done to them. Will be opened again in september. I usually prefer to stay in the Golden lounge as its usually more quiet than the others.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: