Wiki Posts
Search

Can you purchase Lounge access?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2009, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Can you purchase Lounge access?

I have a 5 HR connection flight in LHR.. Does anyone know if I can buy Lounge access? (Flying Y) Or must I be a Silver Memeber or by invitation only?

Also, am I allowed to Exit the airport during this 5 hours?
Old Aug 18, 2009, 2:38 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR
Unlike knighthoods and peerages, direct lounge access cannot be bought with cash.

If you read the very informative sticky entitled "READ THIS FIRST", you will find that many basic questions, such as this one, have already been answered.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by schnitzer
I have a 5 HR connection flight in LHR.. Does anyone know if I can buy Lounge access? (Flying Y) Or must I be a Silver Memeber or by invitation only?

Hi schnitzer...

You are unable to purchase lounge access at T5, apart from through some Qantas scheme, which I am not overly familiar with, but may be quite expensive.

Yes, you are allowed to exit the terminal on your turnaround if you wish, many people do it to go and smoke, as there is no where to do that Air side.
I am sure one of my ground colleagues will be able to assist in more detail on how you do this.

Regards,
Old Aug 18, 2009, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Ok.. how about exiting the Terminal question?
Old Aug 18, 2009, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
Hi schnitzer...

Yes, you are allowed to exit the terminal on your turnaround if you wish, many people do it to go and smoke, as there is no where to do that Air side.
I am sure one of my ground colleagues will be able to assist in more detail on how you do this.

Regards,
As above, yes, you are able to exit the terminal on your trip. You must be in possession of a boarding card, i believe, for your next flight to be able to re-enter the departures area, which of course will take you back through security again.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 2:48 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I have a 5 HR connection flight in LHR.. Does anyone know if I can buy Lounge access? (Flying Y)
The only way I know of to buy lounge access is to upgrade the flight to Club if that option is offered, online or over the phone etc.

You could say that that's an equivalent of 'paying for lounge access'.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 2:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
If you are in the mood for buying stuff when in T5, you're in the right place. Plenty of shops to keep you amused and you can buy a decent meal at Plane Food, which is Gordon Ramsay's restaurant in the airside area (although I doubt he's ever set foot in it to be honest!)
Old Aug 18, 2009, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As above, yes, you are able to exit the terminal on your trip. You must be in possession of a boarding card, i believe, for your next flight to be able to re-enter the departures area, which of course will take you back through security again.
Might there not be a potential visa issue, depending on the OP's nationality?
Old Aug 18, 2009, 2:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Hi schnitzer...

You are unable to purchase lounge access at T5, apart from through some Qantas scheme, which I am not overly familiar with, but may be quite expensive.
The cost of Qantas club membership , using a corporate membershop is AUD230 joining fee plus $280 for 1 year or AUD505 for 2 years so total $510 / $735

Corporate rate is easily obtained from another australian travel forum. The regular rates are AUD710 / AUD1000 including the joining fee

After the joining fee, $280 ( approx GBP145 ) is not too expensive I would say

Dave
Old Aug 18, 2009, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble

After the joining fee, $280 ( approx GBP145 ) is not too expensive I would say

Dave
That's cheaper than some CE upgrade 'special offers' of £150 each way. Not bad at all, really. I never really looked at the yearly fees that way (I used to be a Qantas Club member until I became QF Gold), but it's quite reasonable indeed.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 3:07 pm

It seems to me that T5 is one of the few places where lounge access isn't really necessary. There are scads of nooks & corners to find some privacy. The food offerings are sensational, as are the drinks offerings. & of course, the shopping. T5 competes in my estimation w/AMS for the 'shopping mall w/runways' award.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by BA5211A
T5 competes in my estimation w/AMS for the 'shopping mall w/runways' award.
I find T5 infinitely better than AMS in terms of food and shopping offerings and generally a lot cheaper (I guess weak £ helps). Then, I don't like AMS - it's too long (good if I want some exercise).

For instance, I remember finding a €16 (or maybe even €25?) pack of sushi that had only about 6 really basic pieces at AMS, whereas Itsu has some decent sized packs for under £10 or so.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NickB
There may be... I was making a judgement based on the location indicator of YVR...
Old Aug 18, 2009, 4:51 pm

Programs: BA Blue, VS Silver
Originally Posted by NickB
OP is based in YVR, there's good chance OP is Canadian, so no visa required. Try the Sofitel, connected to T5.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 5:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold. Kangorucci. NZGE.KLM Gold. VS gold

You could always ask if someone could guest you, it will ignite the fires of moral opprobrium from certain individuals but usually someone agrees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.