Wiki Posts
Search

Can you purchase Lounge access?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2009, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by BA5211A
It seems to me that T5 is one of the few places where lounge access isn't really necessary.
Not necessary, perhaps, though one would be useful. I've only used T5 as an F or J passenger. Lack of a lounge means that I won't use T5 when travelling in distress class when my OW status is up. I really do not wish to spend any more time or money than necessary in that captive shopping mall.

I've felt that there should be an airport lounge at T5 other than an airline lounge. After all, T5 is a BAA terminal, even if populated by BA. BAA and their agents offer lounge access for a fee at other terminals and airports. Does anybody know how many BA passengers would use such a lounge?

[Caveat: the above does not fully represent my situation as I use other terminals as well as LCY - no lounge there.]
Old Aug 19, 2009, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
If you are connecting to a short-haul flight, you should be offered an online upgrade via Manage My Booking on ba.com for £100. (If you booked on ba.com the offer should be showing now, if via a travel agent it will only appear a day before you fly.) This would mean you could access the Galleries Club lounges in Terminal 5 - you could visit all 3 of them with 5 hours to spare. This would be a good deal, especially as you'd get the J service on your connection as well.

I am not bothering to spend any money chasing Silver renewal this year - I will simply pay the £100 upgrade for the couple of Y short-hauls I do each year when my card expires.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 8:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Originally Posted by Hubbabridge
You could always ask if someone could guest you, it will ignite the fires of moral opprobrium from certain individuals but usually someone agrees.
Indeed - there is a calendar here.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 9:12 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by srbrenna
Indeed - there is a calendar here.
ba97.com has unfortunately just died again. At least I managed to get my updates in this morning...
Old Aug 19, 2009, 9:24 am

Programs: BA Blue, VS Silver
yeah it has, maybe we should contribute to get it onto another hoster
Old Aug 19, 2009, 11:12 am

Programs: Junior Jet Club
Originally Posted by StrandedinSC
The OP lists Asiamiles amongst his programs.

If he's Gold or higher there, he'd have lounge access as a Oneworld Sapphire.
Not possible, Asia Miles has no status tiers. It is purely a multi partner loyalty programme.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by SYDguy
Not possible, Asia Miles has no status tiers. It is purely a multi partner loyalty programme.
If I had Asia Miles Gold (OW Sapphire) does that get you into BA Lounges?
Old Aug 19, 2009, 12:46 pm

Programs: Junior Jet Club
Originally Posted by schnitzer
If I had Asia Miles Gold (OW Sapphire) does that get you into BA Lounges?
I think this is a hypo-hypothetical. Does such a thing actually exist?
Old Aug 19, 2009, 2:05 pm

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by Roger
After all, T5 is a BAA terminal, even if populated by BA. BAA and their agents offer lounge access for a fee at other terminals and airports.
Not strictly true. AFAIK T5 was a terminal commissioned by BA but built by BAA. So BA had a large amount of control of what went into it but not unfortunately the cross country route from S Security to S Lounges!
Old Aug 19, 2009, 3:27 pm

Programs: EXP AA.
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I find T5 infinitely better than AMS in terms of food and shopping offerings and generally a lot cheaper (I guess weak £ helps). Then, I don't like AMS - it's too long (good if I want some exercise).

For instance, I remember finding a €16 (or maybe even €25?) pack of sushi that had only about 6 really basic pieces at AMS, whereas Itsu has some decent sized packs for under £10 or so.
Ah but they have a Macdonalds at AMS, and it gave me free ice cream.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 4:48 pm

Programs: MUCCI - Order of the Diamond Hairbrush and Champion of Queens,BA Broon,HH Diamond,PC Plat,BA Amex
Originally Posted by larrywilmot747
Ah but they have a Macdonalds at AMS, and it gave me free ice cream.
Well, there you have it -- if anybody needed a new reason to justify a sordid mini-break to Amsterdam, I think free McFlurry's from the AMS McDonald's franchise pretty much nails it !
Old Aug 19, 2009, 4:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by Rickers
Well, there you have it -- if anybody needed a new reason to justify a sordid mini-break to Amsterdam, I think free McFlurry's from the AMS McDonald's franchise pretty much nails it !
Errrr, no!!!

Now try offering dutch pancakes with icing sugar and syrup ....... that might do it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.