Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Some people have no manners

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2009, 3:13 pm
JSC

Originally Posted by bealine
For this reason, you should walk on the left hand side of your lady so that your right hand may easily grab your weapon.
fnar fnar!
Old Aug 5, 2009, 3:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
While I'm quite independent and I can quite happily stand up for myself but I still do like the old fashioned gentlemanly behaviour, such as opening the door for ladies, 'ladies first', etc etc.
Me too. That kind of behaviour is not sexism to me, just courtesy and good manners. As bealine says it shows the difference between a man and a gentleman.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 3:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
If woman wants equality, who don't they serve in the army? (In those countries that it is mandatory only, of course)
A large number of females do serve in the Armed Forces, voluntarily.

And surely if it's mandatory then they'd have to serve anyway
Old Aug 5, 2009, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
A large number of females do serve in the Armed Forces, voluntarily.

And surely if it's mandatory then they'd have to serve anyway
Not in Germany at least.

In those countries having professional service, it's of course free for anyone to go to the army or not, but in most with mandatory service, only men will be forced to go there (or do alternative work, or pay, or whatever they make up...) while woman are free to go there if they want, but obviously not very much of them are keen to do so. (I think it's always under 1%)
Old Aug 5, 2009, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is common courtesy - be that holding a door open or offering your seat on the tube to an OAP - which have a place in any civil society (and do so in many, not just the UK). There are also some very anachronistic bits of British culture like not walking along eating or drinking.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 3:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
There are also some very anachronistic bits of British culture like not walking along eating or drinking.
Or smoking! My mother always used to tell me that only "bad" women used to smoke on the street as that was where they worked

Even when I was a smoker I never once smoked in the street
Old Aug 5, 2009, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
There are also some very anachronistic bits of British culture like not walking along eating or drinking.
I do not do that... but that is only because I am a man and find it hard to multi-task when it comes to the delights of eating... all power and concentration seem to be focussed towards my fat face!
Old Aug 5, 2009, 4:25 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
Nonsense. This is only true to a point. I would refuse to take a man on a date because that prospect has no appeal to me. On the other hand I will happily take a woman out on a date and go out with the boys another time for some refreshments and banter.

I have now established that a difference exists. Now the difficult bit is to find the dividing line between what I believe is the right amount of different treatment for different sexes.
Oh, you know what I mean. I'm not talking about sexual or social preferences, I'm talking about manners when confronting strangers in public.

Just as it's unfair to treat someone poorly by virtue of their sex, so is it unfair to treat someone better because of it. That's just the way I see it.

Originally Posted by bealine
You can "personally" believe what you want,
Thanks for your permission. I might just do that now that I know it's okay with you. ^
Old Aug 5, 2009, 4:27 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold
Me too. That kind of behaviour is not sexism to me, just courtesy and good manners. As bealine says it shows the difference between a man and a gentleman.
Would you say the same thing if it were "men first"?

I'm just curious because most people don't complain if they're the ones benefiting.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by ajax
Would you say the same thing if it were "men first"?

I'm just curious because most people don't complain if they're the ones benefiting.
I've always thought it preferable for the woman to be first, closely followed by the man.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Not in Germany at least.

In those countries having professional service, it's of course free for anyone to go to the army or not, but in most with mandatory service, only men will be forced to go there (or do alternative work, or pay, or whatever they make up...) while woman are free to go there if they want, but obviously not very much of them are keen to do so. (I think it's always under 1%)
As Basil Fawlty once said " Don't mention.............."
Old Aug 5, 2009, 5:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by hammythehammer
I've always thought it preferable for the woman to be first, closely followed by the man.
Why do I get the feeling you're not talking about doors being opened

ajax - no it wouldn't worry me if it were 'men first' in matters of manners and etiquette. Cheeky and young in spirit I may be, but I'm not a teenager () and so was brought up in the old style of manners and courtesy.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 11:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Even when I was a smoker I never once smoked in the street
But what were you smoking, sunrisegirl?
Old Aug 6, 2009, 1:21 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Silver, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hilton HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
But what were you smoking, sunrisegirl?
Is it the heat effecting the posts in this forum?!?
Old Aug 6, 2009, 1:40 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by heckenhocker
I was also brought up with door-opening and seat-giving-up (but being female, training was on identifying those less able to stand than myself = older/injured/disabled people both genders, plus pregnant women). I don't expect men to offer me this courtesy, but accept gracefully when it is offered.

However I do wish some women were less strident in their views...and it's not automatic that a man should stand in my view.

- if you don't want to sit down, decline politely. No need to make a scene if you object to a courtesy.

- and a special hello to the woman on the Kings Cross to Hitchin train in 2007 who shouted at my husband to give up his seat (he was mid cancer treatments and exhausted, I was standing)! She wondered aloud to the carriage if she could find a seat as her feet were sore. Then stared at sleeping hubby, shook his shoulder and demanded if he had no manners.... I can only imagine she'd had some of Petrus' grump-making sleeping pills that day!

To which he should - but because he is a gentleman wouldn't - have shouted back that he offered seats to ladies which she clearly was not.

Harridans stand, ladies sit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.