Some people have no manners

Old Aug 4, 09, 3:04 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Delta Skymiles, Hilton HHonors
I have to agree with the OP. People just have no manners at all. As for the food, have you noticed how much people stuff their faces as if it's their last meal? I doubt they do this at home...greedy ba***rds!
Old Aug 4, 09, 3:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Also agree that this is a fantastic thread! In fact, probably the best I have read in months if not years!

Welcome to FT printingandbreakfast.
Old Aug 4, 09, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE, BA Silver
Originally Posted by gaz68 View Post
As for the food, have you noticed how much people stuff their faces as if it's their last meal?
It's all about perspective. For many, they are stuffing their faces because it's their first meal (in 10 or more hours, particularly with the sleeper service concept). I know you meant more of a 'last supper' analogy, but some people are loading up to get on track with their day. I'm underweight, but I do have 4 or more sausages in the arrivals lounge because, well, I love and miss british sausages...

As mentioned, some of this goes to waste I'm sure, so why not concentrate on the newspaper you're reading, or your own plate, rather than watching the eating habits of others...as we've seen, the passenger in question is a nice guy who enjoys a good English breakfast (minus black pudding)!

Last edited by seanp7; Aug 4, 09 at 4:11 pm Reason: oops.
Old Aug 4, 09, 3:39 pm

Programs: QF WP (LTG), AA, SPG Gold, IC Plat Amb, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold.
So, Rule 1 of commenting on another user of the lounge computers on FT - check to see if they are also logged on to FT!

In that case, perhaps a lounge attendant could present one's business card, an FT luggage tag and a glass of bubbles, murmuring "with the gentleman's compliments" as they do so.
In that way, introductions could be made, and such a faux pas avoided.....
Old Aug 4, 09, 3:39 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club (lowly Blue but with MUCCI, apparently)
Originally Posted by seanp7 View Post
English breakfast (minus black pudding)
A major character flaw, in my opinion.

But then, I'm a northerner.
Old Aug 4, 09, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Oh, fantastic. This thread has really brightened up what has been a pretty nasty day for me. Thank you Petrus and printingandbreakfast

A special welcome to printingandbreakfast to the BA board. Two posts and you are already a FlyerTalk legend! I hope you stay around and continue to contribute.
Old Aug 4, 09, 4:12 pm

!!

It'svery interesting that this thread turns up and simultaneously there is a discussion on modern manners on LBC Radio. Some of the questions from the phone-in chat were:

1. Why do so many people put credit cards, railway tickets, passports, boarding cards or documents that they expect someone else to handle in their mouths and think it acceptable behaviour?

2. Why do people think eating or drinking "on the hoof" is acceptable? Not so many years ago, people used to find a park bench or a quiet corner to sit and eat - you wouldn't dream of grabbing a sandwich while striding along the street and eating something smelly like Fish and Chips on public transport was totally taboo!

(Drinking or carrying hot drinks while walking is dangerous - a girl was badly scalded in the jetty at T5 a few weeks ago which is why we will no longer allow hot drinks past the gate.)

Leading on from that, will the card holder in the Galleries South Lounge yesterday avvy who sprayed me and my uniform with bits of wet, soggy apple as he tried to ask me a question while masticating please make contact if you think you should cover the cost of dry cleaning my jacket! Thank You!

3. Why do people continue to walk in the centre of the pavement /walkway when they are conducting a mobile phone conversation. It is normal for someone's walkiing pace to slow by half when they are on the phone, so pulling over to let normal people pass is just common courtesy.

4. My second biggest hate is those who let a door swing back in someone's face. I always look behind and hold the door - it was how I met my wife, she was taken in with the old-fashioned gentlemanly courtesies!

5. By far my biggest hate are thse who drop litter or throw it out of a car or train window. I can sort of understand tucking something in a corner at the airport or at a station because there are few bins for security reasons. I do, however, find it tremendously sad when walking on Dartmoor or the Sussex Downs to find Tesco bags full of sandwich wrappers, old MacDonalds or Costa coffee cups or Coke tins defiling our glorious countryside.

For all the clap-trap about "Human Rights" and "Respect" and "Dignity", it is becoming a rude, aggressive and selfish world where people are losing any consideration for other people.

How can the trend be reversed?
Old Aug 4, 09, 4:35 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club (lowly Blue but with MUCCI, apparently)
Originally Posted by bealine View Post
For all the clap-trap about "Human Rights" and "Respect" and "Dignity", it is becoming a rude, aggressive and selfish world where people are losing any consideration for other people.
I hate people who, when walking side-by-side with someone else (and as a result take the whole breadth of the pavement), make absolutely no effort to accommodate someone walking in their direction. The polite thing to do would be to go single file for just that couple of seconds, letting the other person pass. But, NO, the person coming towards them has to step into the street to go around both. W.A.N.K.E.R.S.
Old Aug 4, 09, 4:43 pm
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mwalsh View Post
I hate people who, when walking side-by-side with someone else (and as a result take the whole breadth of the pavement), make absolutely no effort to accommodate someone walking in their direction. The polite thing to do would be to go single file for just that couple of seconds, letting the other person pass. But, NO, the person coming towards them has to step into the street to go around both. W.A.N.K.E.R.S.
And why do people stand still on moving walkways (OK, in some US airports they are doing it to get their breath back, the walk from the gate being the most exercise they have had in years), then look at you all pi**ed off if you ask them to move?
Old Aug 4, 09, 4:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt DIA, IC RA
Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
Currently sitting in T5 Arrivals Lounge. Wonderful place. Like the food, ambiance etc.

However, I am now on one of the PC's and have been for 30 minutes. When I arrived the printer was going on full speed and kept going for another 5 minutes.

Suddenly a younger man in his mid 20's arrive with a plate overflowing with English Breakfast. He starts eating like this is the last food on earth. He collects the prints from the printer and wow that must have been 100+ pages.

He has now printed another two rounds of atleast the same amount.
I mean seriously you freeloading scum? Some people have no manners.
I actually think people should mind their own business. I assume he was a professional business person, and propbably paid full fare for the flight, which gives him the right to eat the food and print as much as he wants.

Why do you care what he does?
Old Aug 4, 09, 5:05 pm

Programs: Mucci Master of the Skies, Does anyone read any further than Mucci anyway? BAEC Blue
Originally Posted by squeeler View Post
And why do people stand still on moving walkways
I love walking on the moving walkways. The feeling of speed that you get is so cool (OK maybe I'm a bit of a freak when it comes to that.)

Having just read the thread from the start, it's nice to get both sides of the story. Welcome to FT printingandbreakfast. You've become an instant and possibly become more famous than HIDDY's sausage.

Last edited by speedbird182; Aug 4, 09 at 5:39 pm
Old Aug 4, 09, 5:16 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Starbucks Gold
welcome printingandbreakfast - for myself I eat a lot, especially after an overnighter, I hit the sack sleep and touch nothing onboard. Straight to Arrivals and have very hearty breakfast.

I have no problems with people who eat a lot but what I do have a problem is people who pile up their plates and do not finish their food, that is big pet hate of mine. This unfortunately I see too often in GC.

Oh and don't me started on very very messy eaters and I do not mean children!
Old Aug 4, 09, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Originally Posted by squeeler View Post
And why do people stand still on moving walkways
I always stand still on them....is that not the idea - to save you walking?
Old Aug 4, 09, 7:09 pm

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush Elite, AA Plat, BA Blue, and a host of others.
Welcome printingandbreakfast what an absolutely splendid FT name, and what a great story to tell on how you got it.
Old Aug 4, 09, 7:36 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by seanp7 View Post
It's all about perspective. For many, they are stuffing their faces because it's their first meal (in 10 or more hours, particularly with the sleeper service concept). I know you meant more of a 'last supper' analogy, but some people are loading up to get on track with their day. I'm underweight, but I do have 4 or more sausages in the arrivals lounge because, well, I love and miss british sausages...

As mentioned, some of this goes to waste I'm sure, so why not concentrate on the newspaper you're reading, or your own plate, rather than watching the eating habits of others...as we've seen, the passenger in question is a nice guy who enjoys a good English breakfast (minus black pudding)!
LOL. I sometimes eat silly amounts in the lounge - I rush around doing shopping when I'm in London, so I tend to miss out on food until I get to LHR to get on my way home, so I have often gone without food since the night before.

But I eat everything slowly enough that people probably don't notice (I don't do this consciously - I just don't eat fast, and I don't pile things on my plate - I keep walking back and forth). Besides I generally grab the unpopular food - aka fruits . I'd still do the same if I had to pay for it - when I'm travelling, I feel I don't get to eat enough fruits, so the first thing I notice in the lounge is the fruits, regardless of how much/little I had eaten on that day already.

I don't hog printers though. I have gone as paperless as possible and I frown upon people that send me paper (including banks!) anyway, so I can barely justify printing lots of pages. It is not a green initiative from me - I just find paper cumbersome and annoying.

However, I may be considered a rude one because I sit at the computer desk with my laptop. I wish they had a decent height workstations in T5 GF without the computer but with plug points so that people with laptop don't need to end up sitting at the computer station unnecessarily. I do move off there if there's someone needing to use a computer and there's no other computer available but the one I'm sitting in front of. The problem is that if I try to work on my laptop with it on my knee, I get a recurrence of my old neck injury so I have to keep the laptop as close to eye height as possible. So I blame BA for the lack of other appropriate facilities!

Anyway... I've had a good giggle at this thread. I can trust FT to provide me with good entertainment after a hard day's work (I started work at 4am, and I worked almost non-stop till now... <== I hope BA appreciate the hard earned cash I willingly hand over to them)

Search this Thread