Some people have no manners

Old Aug 13, 2009, 4:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VC10 Boy
I'd say breakfastandprinting had a lucky escape. Can I just remind Petrus how he sprayed a bottle of champagne in an OSL nightclub over a bunch of Norwegians he thought had atrocious manners
Hah. I just saw this post VC10 Boy! For clarity; they started it. And it turned out they where Swedes
Old Aug 13, 2009, 5:47 am

Programs: BA, *A, Hertz Goldstar, Mucci wannabee, Waitrose, safari Oleg
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
I know that's the point of them, but like I say, I don't see why they should be so close to the shops/entrances in carparks. Of course the argument for being close to the store is a two-fold one -firstly, it is safety, the second is ease/space -i.e. in a mulistory, the lifts are often cramped if full of buggies. My point is merely that whilst people can't help being disabled (generally -sometimes if it was an accident where they were at fault, maybe they can...), but people generally choose to have children. With choice comes responsibility. We are lucky enough to have a car. Then again, I am lucky to have a car and so shouldn't moan about where to park it. Still think it's wrong though.

I also don't think them having a separate parking space close to the shops will make any difference to your or my state pension anyway

In terms of manners, the NUMBER ONE THING that really p!sses me off is the way in which no-one seems to use the words "please" and "thank you" any more. It's such a simple thing to do, and makes people much more inclined to help you.

If I am a person with no manners then so be it, am I bovvered?
Yup, I too am fed up with this obsession with People With Kids (PWK's). Happy for them to get wide enough space for car doors to open. Just fed up with supermarkets esp. Sainsbury's giving them all the best spaces near the door. I don't even think the PWK's themselves even want to be there, necessarily!
Old Aug 13, 2009, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by Jedi Master
... Many times I have seen people take a few bacon rolls from the counter, then eat the bacon and leave all the rolls .......

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
I do this almost every time in the J lounge. To be honest I do not want to eat all of that bread but I do want the bacon. I do not see it as too much of an issue although I am a keen cook and never waste food in other situations.

In which case, just ask any member of staff to bring for you from the kitchen some bacon on a plate. Please feel free to eat and drink whatever you wish, my plea is only that people avoid waste by not taking something that they have no intention of consuming. It doesn't seem much of an issue if one person does it but if everyone did, it all adds up. Bear in mind how many people are starving and any bread wasted drives up wheat and energy prices which makes it even less affordable for those in poverty. I would never suggest that you run to the shops to buy your own bacon but surely something as simple as asking a member of staff is not too unreasonable?

Originally Posted by A Man Ray Kind Of Sky

I understand that there may be some shandy-drinking ballerina-types who are worried about their cholesterol; so surely a better option would be to have a 'build-your-own bacon butty section'? That would certainly decrease waste.
If any BA T5 manager or supervisor is reading this, perhaps they can arrange a tray of bacon at the food counter so people who want bacon only don't have to take it from the rolls and waste the bread. Eliminating any waste, no matter how small must be beneficial to BA's profitability.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 7:57 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
Originally Posted by xenole
A lot of us would be quite suspicious of this sort of thing. Most people don't give others the time of day and to be honest, the first thing that would pop into my head would be "Is this stranger going to run off with it?".
That is not so true. I always help someone with a pushchair and when we had two small kids there were plenty of people willing to help us.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 8:34 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by xenole
A lot of us would be quite suspicious of this sort of thing. Most people don't give others the time of day and to be honest, the first thing that would pop into my head would be "Is this stranger going to run off with it?".
I agree, and I think that's sad.

Originally Posted by jahason
That is not so true. I always help someone with a pushchair and when we had two small kids there were plenty of people willing to help us.
I think it all depends on where you are and when you are traveling.

I always make a point of helping someone with a pushchair when necessary, but I find that sadly few people are willing to help. I'm not exactly fighting through a sea of helping hands.

Sounds like your experiences are more positive - so much the better. ^
Old Aug 13, 2009, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by h15t0r1an
Yup, I too am fed up with this obsession with People With Kids (PWK's). Happy for them to get wide enough space for car doors to open. Just fed up with supermarkets esp. Sainsbury's giving them all the best spaces near the door. I don't even think the PWK's themselves even want to be there, necessarily!
But don't you see , if they were spaces anyone could use, they'd be full most of the time.
The reason there's spaces at the moment is a majority of civilised people don't park in spaces they're not entitled to use.
I'm sure the extra 100 yards walk might do you some good in the long run.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 9:11 am

Programs: Yes please
Originally Posted by hammythehammer
But don't you see , if they were spaces anyone could use, they'd be full most of the time.
The reason there's spaces at the moment is a majority of civilised people don't park in spaces they're not entitled to use.
I'm sure the extra 100 yards walk might do you some good in the long run.
Actually, I do always park away from the entrance, preferably in a less-used area, as that hopefully avoids some ignoramus parking next to me and denting my door when he throws his door open.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 9:29 am

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Originally Posted by A Man Ray Kind Of Sky
. . . shandy-drinking ballerina-types who are worried about their cholesterol.
Brilliant. May I please use this line, Sir or Madam?
Old Aug 13, 2009, 9:39 am

Programs: Amex Plat; BA Blue
Originally Posted by youreadyfreddie
Brilliant. May I please use this line, Sir or Madam?
Of course you may. I first came across the line when I started university in Middlesbrough many moons ago. 'Us Northerners' were quite horrified at the customs of 'Them Southerners' in and around the student union bar.

As we were guzzling pints of beer and eating chips between lectures, it was often noted that people who had travelled north of the Watford Gap (in may cases for the first time) would do unthinkable things such as order lattes and salads. A shandy was considered to be quite a strong drink by many of them.

Looking back, the culture shock may have been more acute for them, but at the time it was a handy little phrase to have on the tip of your tongue.

If you've never been to Middlesbrough, it made the news in 2007 when Channel 4 named it the worst place to live in the UK. The Mayor of Middlesbrough made a complaint to OFCOM about misrepresentation.

OFCOM, just recently, didn't uphold it.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 6:12 pm

Programs: BAEC
Fantastic thread! I only have one comment:
Originally Posted by printingandbreakfast
I am really sorry if that is more than the normal allocated to a Club World passenger and I will take note next time of what I take from the buffet.
Never - on my last flight which was a very nice op-up from WT+ to CW I think I drank the plane out of wine and ate them out of muffins

By the end of the flight the FA simply came up after breakfast with the pastry selection and in among them was a bacon roll. I hesitated to choose and he said "go on, you know you want it, and the muffin too"

Edit: And more to the point since you were actually travelling on a CW ticket, you're not freeloading in any way - you've paid (presumably in one way or another) for the facilities and should use them as much as you need to.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 10:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
I see the latest e-mailed FT TalkMail Newsletter has this thread listed as a 'Hot Thread'. How do these get nominated?
Old Aug 14, 2009, 11:23 am

Programs: Mucci Master of the Skies, Does anyone read any further than Mucci anyway? BAEC Blue
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
I see the latest e-mailed FT TalkMail Newsletter has this thread listed as a 'Hot Thread'. How do these get nominated?
Thread tools at the top of the page. Then suggest this thread for talkmail.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 12:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by speedbird182
Thread tools at the top of the page. Then suggest this thread for talkmail.
Aaah, I see. Thank you.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 4:22 pm

Programs: Executive Club, OnePass, SkyMiles, HH, Marriott Rewards
My 2 cents

I'm glad Petrus apologized...but people that judge others really disgust me, yes he had a bigger appetite than you, and maybe printed more papers than you might have printed, so what, this is BA's problem and not yours. I may have been disgusted by his appetite, but I certainly would not make it my business.

This young man was polite enough to take time to apologize and explain his situation, I probably would not have. I just don't like people that don't mind their business, and I'm having a difficult time figuring out how you were inconvenienced in this situation. If BA thinks that this is a problem, I'm sure they would have put up a sign by now, also a simple software can reduce the amount of print.

Like we say in the US of A, you were all in his Kool Aid, and didn't know the flavor! This does make for a great post, and what are the chances!

Last edited by dreamwks; Aug 20, 2009 at 4:34 pm
Old Aug 20, 2009, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by dreamwks
people that judge others really disgust me

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.