Hold is too cold for the dogs

Old Jul 30, 09, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Cool Hold is too cold for the dogs

I'm getting regular reports from my nephew on BA25 (enjoying the comforts of CW for the first time - as per the upgrade thread) who reports they are stuck on the ground because, err, like it says: the hold is too cold for the dogs.

This ranks amongst the weirder explanations I've ever heard for a flight delay. Is this a common problem?
Old Jul 30, 09, 1:35 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club - Bronze, SQ KrisFlyer
Turn the heat up

Dogs (and other live animals) are loaded into a hold in which the temperature can be increased to make it suitable for the transportation of live animals.

It may be that if the dog has been manifested late or somebody didn't realise there would be animals aboard that the temperature hadn't been set accordingly.

I've never heard it as an excuse for a delay though.
Old Jul 30, 09, 1:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AX Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Star Alliance Gold
But much better to figure it out there than at 35,000 feet. Or worse, upon arrival ;(
Old Jul 30, 09, 1:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Emirates Silver, Priority Club Gold, Hilton Gold, BA Amex PP
I bet it's a bloody husky anyway. He won't appreciate the tropical temperature...
Old Jul 30, 09, 1:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
This proves that BA cares for ALL its passengers, be they canine, feline or human!!

My cat earned her miles on BA and I have to say she was well looked after even though I'm not sure she totally approved of hold class for 9 hours
Old Jul 30, 09, 2:30 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Sous-vetements civilises, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl View Post
This proves that BA cares for ALL its passengers, be they canine, feline or human!!

My cat earned her miles on BA and I have to say she was well looked after even though I'm not sure she totally approved of hold class for 9 hours
My cat earned his miles too for 11 hours (apart from an accident in the taxi to LHR). However, as his ticket cost more than twice mine, he felt he deserved a more dignified arrival than on the luggage belt at GRU.
Old Jul 30, 09, 2:40 pm

Programs: BA GGL, VS Gold, BD Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Eurostar Carte Blanche
As opposed to F is too old for dogs, given some of the crew I have seen
Old Jul 30, 09, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

The last message I got from my nephew, over an hour ago, was that they were "waiting for the dog handlers".

If these are his last words, I will know the correct response next time will be "Oh no! Not the dog handlers!". Most likely, it sounds like the dogs have been bumped.

He didn't seem to mind. I was getting lovely messages like "I just found out I get 2 4-course meals" followed by "I've been informed of the all-night snack bar where apparently they have luxury cakes". I did tell him that the kitchen at home was probably a more interesting all-night snack bar, but he wasn't having any of it.
Old Jul 30, 09, 3:09 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AC-E and a few hotels
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl View Post

Our cat has delusions of grandure, I very much doubt she would travel in the hold, in fact anything less than first would be out of the question

On the other hand our greyhounds will sleep anywhere!
Old Jul 30, 09, 4:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold; HH Gold; M&M; PS Classic; VV Silver (deceased); BD Silver (deceased).
Originally Posted by Nicksta View Post
But much better to figure it out there than at 35,000 feet. Or worse, upon arrival ;(
... or even worse during a stopover at ICN ...
Old Jul 30, 09, 4:07 pm

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
Better a delay than a screaming headline on the front page of the Hate Mail "NOW BA MURDERS YOUR CHILDREN'S PETS".
Old Jul 30, 09, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by heartybob View Post
... or even worse during a stopover at ICN ...
Old Jul 30, 09, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Railroad flyer View Post
Our cat has delusions of grandure, I very much doubt she would travel in the hold, in fact anything less than first would be out of the question
I know that Air France permitted small dogs to travel on Concorde, I presume for the same price as a normal passenger. Do any other airlines currently allow pets in F?
Old Jul 30, 09, 4:35 pm

Programs: BA GfL, TK *G+
Originally Posted by LeisureFirst View Post
I know that Air France permitted small dogs to travel on Concorde, I presume for the same price as a normal passenger. Do any other airlines currently allow pets in F?
I once travelled on Aeroflop to ULB with an alsatian dog on the back row seats and a cat a few rows further forward. Luckily the two never met, although a friend did wake up to find a cat on his lap
Old Jul 30, 09, 5:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Junior Jet Club
Hold temp manually set downstairs by engineers, not from flightdeck on some aircraft

Search this Thread
Search Engine: