Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex & BA - 2009 Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2009, 1:40 pm

Location: SCL, MCT, LGW and a variety of 1W lounges in between.
Programs: BA Mucci (Seigneur et Ingenieur des Appareils Volants (Gold)), QF (WP and LTG), AA EXP, GF Gold
Originally Posted by Roger
Spottie, did you see the dreadful 'news' item and comment piece in the Torygraph?
Unfortunately not, I have not had a read of a good newspaper for a while, which might indicate that I have not been flying much... (or too busy being quoted to read about it).
Old Jan 19, 2009, 4:10 pm

Spottie, as a similar toiler in the fields of the self-employed, I feel you.

So to speak.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 11:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Amex Platinum, BA Amex PP, SPG Gold
Question How quickly does a 241 post?

Sorry if this has already been answered on here, but I was wondering how quickly the 241 is posting these days?

This morning my BA Amex has gone over the required £10k for this year. When would I expect that to make it to my BAEC club account?

Many thanks
Old Jan 20, 2009, 1:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA EXP
Originally Posted by chrishow
Sorry if this has already been answered on here, but I was wondering how quickly the 241 is posting these days?

This morning my BA Amex has gone over the required £10k for this year. When would I expect that to make it to my BAEC club account?

Many thanks
It should be visible within a few days when you log on to your BAEC account. The paper voucher may not reach you in the post for a couple of weeks though (but as it's online that doesn't make any difference).
Old Jan 20, 2009, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.

IIRC, the transaction that took me over £10k was made on Friday 9 January. It posted as a charge on the account on Monday 12th, the BA Miles total was updated the following day (Tuesday), the Amex site showed the 2-4-1 voucher issued the next day (Wednesday) and it was showing on the BAEC site on Thursday morning.

I received the paper "voucher" in yesterday's post, although it isn't really a voucher any more as it has no identifying details on it - just a list of instructions. It was redundant, however, as I'd redeemed my 2-4-1 within a couple of hours of seeing it on the BAEC site.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 4:34 am

Thanks, the Amex website reflected the £10k spend this morning (actually relating to spend on Friday), so I would hope the voucher to post to any day now.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed that the availability hasn’t disappeared when I go to book!
Old Jan 22, 2009, 5:59 pm
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Anybody know how one can use your amex to make a bank transfer to an individual and still rack up miles?

I'm trying to pay my rent with my amex but my landlord is an individual (thus no amex payment machine). Would obviously prefer to put the whole thing through and earn miles/spending to trigger my voucher.

I've thought of paypal but not sure if that would qualify and whether the landlord would be very happy about that.

Thanks.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Paypal is fine, but there are issues with using Amex with Paypal - your card is charged in US$, not £, so you may end up paying (after the currency conversion charges for a foreign currency transaction) a good few % more than was due.

You can, of course, Paypal money to yourself as well which will rack up your spend.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 10:13 am

Recommend a Friend
A friend has signed up to the Amex BA card following a recommendation I sent through the Amex website. Do the 1000 bonus miles get awarded directly to my BA account, or to my Amex BA card account and then will be transferred to BA along with my statement miles?
Old Jan 24, 2009, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Raffles
Paypal is fine, but there are issues with using Amex with Paypal - your card is charged in US$, not £, so you may end up paying (after the currency conversion charges for a foreign currency transaction) a good few % more than was due.

You can, of course, Paypal money to yourself as well which will rack up your spend.
I've always been better off using Amex for PayPal than any other credit card. Raffles is correct, that for some odd reason all PayPal transactions that should be in GBP are charged in USD when using Amex. To make up for the foreign currency fees PayPal then applies a credit to your account.

For a recent PayPal transaction of £1,900 the following appeared on my statement:
PAYPAL/AMEX CNVRSN CREDIT SAN JOSE
171.15 UNITED STATES DOLLAR
-£120.38

PAYPAL ***************
2,852.62 UNITED STATES DOLLAR
£2,007.50

Therefore the actual amount charged to me was £1887.12
Old Jan 24, 2009, 1:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue, Priority Club Plat Amb
Originally Posted by layz
I've always been better off using Amex for PayPal than any other credit card. Raffles is correct, that for some odd reason all PayPal transactions that should be in GBP are charged in USD when using Amex. To make up for the foreign currency fees PayPal then applies a credit to your account.

For a recent PayPal transaction of £1,900 the following appeared on my statement:
-£120.38

PAYPAL ***************
£2,007.50

I've noticed the same for all my ebay/paypal transactions. Even when the bill is 99p you still get a credit.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 3:48 pm

BA Amex PP companion voucher T&Cs

I've just been caught out by an issue with the Amex companion voucher which has shocked me and looks to scupper my planned Christmas ‘09 trip

My BAEC was based in Switzerland for the past 6 months and during this time I let my Amex PP lie dormant. I've recently moved my BAEC back to the UK and spent over the £10k required to trigger the companion voucher.

When the voucher hadn't hit after 7 days, I called BAEC Gold line and asked them to investigate. They came back to me and advised that the T&Cs of the companion voucher state that you must have been a member of the BAEC in the UK for 12 months and therefore I am not eligible.

I escalated this within the BAEC who understood my complaint, although they said there was nothing they could do. Customer Relations advised me to speak with Amex.

I’ve checked the T&Cs I could find on the web and also the printed material which I have on file and there is no mention of this. Although perhaps there has been a recent change and I haven’t seen it, or didn’t keep the documentation.

Has anyone else been caught up by this clause? Is it a recent change? Does anyone have any suggestions? (please don’t tell me I shouldn’t have moved my account to Switzerland as I now realise this!)

Many thanks
Old Jan 26, 2009, 4:24 pm
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Originally Posted by layz

-£120.38

PAYPAL ***************
£2,007.50

Are paypal ok with you sending money to yourself?

Also what is the general way to do it? Create a second account or just send it to the same account??
Old Jan 27, 2009, 12:11 am
k3v

Originally Posted by GVA
Are paypal ok with you sending money to yourself?

Also what is the general way to do it? Create a second account or just send it to the same account??

you cant send money to your own email address, i tried the other day.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I've just been caught out by an issue with the Amex companion voucher which has shocked me and looks to scupper my planned Christmas ‘09 trip

My BAEC was based in Switzerland for the past 6 months and during this time I let my Amex PP lie dormant. I've recently moved my BAEC back to the UK and spent over the £10k required to trigger the companion voucher.

When the voucher hadn't hit after 7 days, I called BAEC Gold line and asked them to investigate. They came back to me and advised that the T&Cs of the companion voucher state that you must have been a member of the BAEC in the UK for 12 months and therefore I am not eligible.
Hmmmm!

I'll let you know in 48 hours. I triggered my Amex voucher on Saturday. However, my BAEC account only moved back to the UK in March 2008 so I haven't had 12 months continuous membership. Let's see what turns up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.