FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Amex & BA - 2009 Master Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/977625-amex-ba-2009-master-thread.html)

Ragman Sep 15, 2009 10:08 am

Originally Posted by Prospero (Post 12366521)
Spend £30 or more in one transaction at any BP service station in the UK during September 2009 and receive double BA Miles.

The small print:
Every time a British Airways American Express Cardmember, who receives this offer direct from American Express, spends more than £30 between 1 September and 30 September 2009 they will receive double BA Miles. The double BA Miles will be credited to the BA account within eight weeks of the transaction date.

Anyone else get this offer?

Roger Sep 15, 2009 10:12 am

Originally Posted by Mr_Bigglesworth (Post 12382639)
Does anyone whether if the main cardholder registers if supplementary cardholders spend counts towards hitting the target?

Main cardholder only. Just the registered card, and supplementary card numbers are slightly different.

shakers Sep 15, 2009 10:21 am

Having just got involved in the Amex/PayPal wheeze, I was just wondering whether anyone had been able to use the PayPal card successfully to pay off the balance on a credit card (Amex in particular?)

The thought occurred to me to the ATM I just used to withdraw my £200 read it as a Visa Debit card...

Paralytic Sep 15, 2009 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Ragman (Post 12383931)

I just received a different one (twice), similar to what's been posted here before.

Spend over £50 on your first purchase with eStore, and you can earn double BA Miles with any of the retailers listed above to put towards a weekend break, or even an upgrade.

From eBay to Elemis, Waterstones to The White Company, Interflora to johnlewis.com, there are over 150 high street shops online for you to visit and find exactly what you’re looking for. All from the comfort of your living room or office.

This offer is in addition to the BA Miles you can earn just for buying online at eStore. You could earn up to 12 BA Miles for every £1 you spend, depending on where you shop. And all the BA Miles you do earn will be automatically added to your account. The double BA Miles are available on purchases over £50 made between 15 September and 15 October 2009. All you need to do is click here to start shopping now or visit ba.com/estore.

If you want the best brands without traipsing the high street, why not visit eStore today?
It contains the usual ambiguity as to whether this is valid for the first spend with the estore, or the first spend with each retailer. ie. If i've spent £50 with the estore before, will another £50 spend qualify me. And if so, does it have to be with a retailer i've not spent with before?

Raffles Sep 15, 2009 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by shakers (Post 12383998)
Having just got involved in the Amex/PayPal wheeze, I was just wondering whether anyone had been able to use the PayPal card successfully to pay off the balance on a credit card (Amex in particular?)

The thought occurred to me to the ATM I just used to withdraw my £200 read it as a Visa Debit card...

Doesn't work with an MBNA card and I'm pretty sure someone else said it didn't work with Amex. Neither can you pay into an Egg bank account with it even though they take debit cards.

miffy Sep 15, 2009 2:26 pm

Nope, but a variation did arrive by snail mail. I get 50 bonus miles if I spend at BP twice in September. Can't see that this makes defection from Tesco worthwhile unless I viist twice for just, say, a bar of chocolate.

OT, but the frequent inducemnts from Nectar to visit/embrace BP are equally poor.

JonWB Sep 15, 2009 2:43 pm

Yes - My wife got the BP offer. We only have one AMEX PP between us (I'm a supplementary card holder). I've managed to put £2k in spend through 2 paypal topup cards so far in September, using the main cardholder and the supplementary card holder on the AMEX PP account. I'll be putting another £2K through later this month, so that will be £4K on double miles promotion :D

JonWB Sep 15, 2009 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Mr_Bigglesworth (Post 12382639)
Does anyone whether if the main cardholder registers if supplementary cardholders spend counts towards hitting the target?

This one is more complicated. My wife got a similar promotion from AMEX for her BMI MBNA Amex (£30 for transactions at 8 merchants). On that account, supplemental card holders have the same credit card number, so I would expect the supplemental transactions would count.

For the BA AMEX PP, the supplemental card holder has a completely separate card number, so as another poster suggested this might not trigger.

Roger Sep 16, 2009 5:08 am

They're trying. Two separate snail mail offers today for my AmEx plat:

every time a Membership Rewards enrolled [member] makes two transactions or more at BP Connect between 1 September 2009 and 30 September 2009 they will earn 50 bonus Membership Rewards points.
Golly gosh! The promotion period is already half over. 50 MR points for 2 transactions is no great incentive.

Double Membership Rewards points on every shop at Morrisons between 14 September and 31 October 2009 when you use your American Express card.
plus a £10 off £60+ purchase coupon at Morrisons by 27 September. Fine, but Tesco is nearer and possibly more productive.

shakers Sep 16, 2009 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Raffles (Post 12385332)
Doesn't work with an MBNA card and I'm pretty sure someone else said it didn't work with Amex. Neither can you pay into an Egg bank account with it even though they take debit cards.

Jonobigblind Sep 18, 2009 2:08 pm

Has Kermit taken over their mailings?

So I need to sign a form to indicate I agree to the T's & C's of a new card...The CS last week set an expectation that I would receive the pack last Friday. I had two calls on Monday and Tuesday chasing up my signature - the pack hadn't arrived:eek:

The pack had actually turned up in the post on Wednesday...without the form to sign and return:mad:

Fortunately, on the Tuesday call they thought best to pop another one out to me. It arrived today (a week after I should have had the first). This one didn't have the form in it either:mad::mad:

CS were polite and apologetic and have put another one in the post. They wouldn't / couldn't email the form to me to print, sign and return :confused:

I now have to wait until Monday and call between 9 and 5 to speak to someone to reiterate my story and be fobbed off yet again. :mad::mad::mad:

And all this because I want to give them another £150 per year.

Incredibly poor show and I'm a week further down the line queueing up purchases ready for the new card and the mileage boost it'll provide.

Anyone had any experience like this and could share the best course of action? It would be appreciated as I wouldn't want to be so blunt to just demand additional mileage compensation for inconvenience...

TEX277 Sep 18, 2009 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by Jonobigblind (Post 12402414)
So I need to sign a form to indicate I agree to the T's & C's of a new card...The CS last week set an expectation that I would receive the pack last Friday. I had two calls on Monday and Tuesday chasing up my signature - the pack hadn't arrived:eek:

The pack had actually turned up in the post on Wednesday...without the form to sign and return:mad:

Fortunately, on the Tuesday call they thought best to pop another one out to me. It arrived today (a week after I should have had the first). This one didn't have the form in it either:mad::mad:

CS were polite and apologetic and have put another one in the post. They wouldn't / couldn't email the form to me to print, sign and return :confused:

I now have to wait until Monday and call between 9 and 5 to speak to someone to reiterate my story and be fobbed off yet again. :mad::mad::mad:

And all this because I want to give them another £150 per year.

Incredibly poor show and I'm a week further down the line queueing up purchases ready for the new card and the mileage boost it'll provide.

Anyone had any experience like this and could share the best course of action? It would be appreciated as I wouldn't want to be so blunt to just demand additional mileage compensation for inconvenience...

Tell me about it. The current BA sale was the final straw in convincing me to go back to the Premium Plus card. I phoned Amex and expressed my desire to upgrade to the PP card. They took a couple of details and said a form would be put in the post to sign and return. One week later and I had not received the form from them. I rang to find out what was going on and they informed me that they would send the form out again.

Today, I received a letter from them explaining that I should sign the enclosed form and return it in the envelope provided. You guessed it! The signature form was not actually enclosed!!!

I am pretty peeved about the whole thing as I will not receive my new PP card (or even the signature form!) before the end of the BA sale on Tuesday even though I initially applied two weeks previously!

Ironically, a good friend made the same call to Amex requesting an upgrade to the PP on the same day as my call. He did not receive his letter either and had to ring Amex again to chase this up. They told him they'd send another form but I've yet to hear whether he's received that yet and if it actually contained the signature form.

I am tempted to complain about the incompetence that Amex are showing in processing my upgrade (obviously not an isolated incident given Jonobigblind and my friend's experience) but I fear all I'll receive is a 'sorry'.

trvllvr123 Sep 18, 2009 2:30 pm

I received my pp card, letter of acceptance and pin all in the post together today- not the greatest. Was impressedthat they transferred my credit limit from my platinum card to the pp though!

TEX277 Sep 19, 2009 3:05 am

My friend confirms that his letter arrived without the signature form too. :td:

The postman has just delivered another letter from Amex. This letter was dated 4 days later than the first which arrived yesterday! I opened it up and was not entirely surprised to discover that this one too did not contain the signature form! :td:

tphilbo Sep 20, 2009 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by JonWB (Post 12385538)
Yes - My wife got the BP offer. We only have one AMEX PP between us (I'm a supplementary card holder). I've managed to put £2k in spend through 2 paypal topup cards so far in September, using the main cardholder and the supplementary card holder on the AMEX PP account. I'll be putting another £2K through later this month, so that will be £4K on double miles promotion :D

How do you load you Paypal card with your AmEx card? Paypal only gives me the option to load my account from my current account?