Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex & BA - 2009 Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2009, 3:02 pm

Nothing to do with the fee, I'm afraid.

I pay no fee, but I've had the letter notifying me that my APR has gone from 16.9% to 19.9%, notwithstanding the fact that I never carry a balance*.

And I'm also afraid that BoE base rate and retail lending rates are only very tenuously linked. Or not at all in some cases!

*Why do I need to tell you this? Because powlo comes from very near me and may think that I'm poor too.

Old Jan 7, 2009, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by dmahon
The back of mine says it's going up 3%, from 16.9% to 19.9%.

The "total charge for credit" paragraph doesn't mention an annual fee at all (I have an Amex platinum card). It also quotes the APR as 19.9% on the front of the letter.

I thought the current climate had interest rates falling?
If there is no fee on the back then Amex is continuing your free BA Amex.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 3:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BMI, ANA, HH Blue, SPG Gold
They've done well out of me this month, taking my December payment twice!
Old Jan 8, 2009, 2:02 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Diamond, Hilton Gold,
I have had my fee increase letter.

It also contains an offer to "Collect up to 1000 Bonus BA miles during Feb 09 and March 09". 50 BA miles for every transaction over £20 to a maximum of 1000.

I am phoning to challenge the fee increase as I hold a second card and was told previously a reduced fee of £30 would be applicable.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 2:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by continentalclub
Nothing to do with the fee, I'm afraid.

I pay no fee, but I've had the letter notifying me that my APR has gone from 16.9% to 19.9%, notwithstanding the fact that I never carry a balance*.
Got that letter too. No offers etc, but no mention of fees!
Old Jan 8, 2009, 2:25 am

Programs: EY Platinum
FWIW, my wife got a letter with the 16.9 to 19.9% APR increase but no fee. I got the letter with a higher APR increase, and a £30 fee. Neither of us is a Platinum Card holder.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 6:22 am

Programs: Meh!
Originally Posted by Disco Volante
Have a look at the back of your latest statement. It tells you the annual fee on there. Existing Plat cardholders stay at £0 and other cardholders at £30.
Or as they are saying in my case £30 (for an existing Plat holder). Basically pick a number, any number .
Old Jan 8, 2009, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Halo
Or as they are saying in my case £30 (for an existing Plat holder). Basically pick a number, any number .
Do you have a Plat credit card or charge card?
Old Jan 8, 2009, 9:26 am

Programs: Meh!
Do you have a Plat credit card or charge card?
Ah - both. They prob only have it recorded against the credit card you mean?
Old Jan 8, 2009, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Halo
Ah - both. They prob only have it recorded against the credit card you mean?
That might explain it. A Platinum credit card should result in a £30 fee, whereas the charge card should give a £0 fee. It sounds as if you're halfway there
Old Jan 8, 2009, 9:45 am
uk1
Suspended

Strange people. I have both the Amex and both Plats. Each year they charge me the £120 and I have to call them and they then credit it back. I've got the increased charge letter and called them and asked if they could fix the account details so the charge simply isn't made. After a delay they came back and said that the charge will be charged and credited each year but it has to be done manually - and I'd have to call each year.

What a system.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 1:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
That might explain it. A Platinum credit card should result in a £30 fee, whereas the charge card should give a £0 fee. It sounds as if you're halfway there
I only have the Platinum credit card (Not charge card) and get charged £0 fee on my Premium BA Amex.

(Although reading from above this looks like a bit of luck rather than the norm)
Old Jan 9, 2009, 1:43 am
Original Poster

Not to worry - the Torygraph is taking up our cause - "Amex charges record levels for credit" on the front of their business section this morning! Can't find the main piece, but from their comment section:

Originally Posted by The Torygraph
A premium liberty from Amex and BA

The British Airways Premium Plus card is aptly named.

You get a socking great premium all right – 46pc APR, just when Bank rate has landed at 1.5pc. Plus you're gouged with a £150 annual fee.

What charlatan of a lender has come up with this you wonder? Step forward those high-fliers from American Express, the brains behind this jumbo-sized rip-off.

They've just raised the APR by 25pc, making their bit of BA plastic the most expensive in the skies. Who says inflation's dead?

AmEx's cabin crew insist that the fee has gone up after seven years on the same flight path and that its very existence bumps up the APR. There's a simple solution to get it down again then: chop the fee. Chopping up the card wouldn't be a bad idea either.
Chop up the card
Old Jan 9, 2009, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by Shuttle-Bored
Not to worry - the Torygraph is taking up our cause - "Amex charges record levels for credit" on the front of their business section this morning!
How sad! It's the kind of rubbish you might expect from the likes of the Mail. What confidence can we have in a rag which likes to take itself seriously if they don't understand how APRs are calculated.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 2:23 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Roger
How sad! It's the kind of rubbish you might expect from the likes of the Mail. What confidence can we have in a rag which likes to take itself seriously if they don't understand how APRs are calculated.
I'm not sure I understand how APR's are calculated, but a 16.9% to 19.9% seems like an increase to me!

I don't pay any fee for the AMEX, so that can't be taken into account.

Care to explain to a layman how this isn't bad?

Cheers,
Rick

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.