Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex & BA - 2009 Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2009, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by clubman
Did you ask them for the this letter?

Got the letter today about the rate increase (madness) and change of fee to £150.
I do have a Platinum Chargecard however, so I assume this letter is just a generic one?
Or does this mean they are going to charge me when the CC anniversary comes up?
Have a look at the back of your latest statement. It tells you the annual fee on there. Existing Plat cardholders stay at £0 and other cardholders at £30.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by Disco Volante
Have a look at the back of your latest statement. It tells you the annual fee on there. Existing Plat cardholders stay at £0 and other cardholders at £30.
Thanks, just did and it says £120 (I assume the next statement will say £150…)
That explains why they always charge me the fee, and I have too then call up and argue with them to get it refunded...
Old Jan 6, 2009, 12:29 pm

Programs: BA GGL
I had this recently. I have always been charged the fee (even though have a Platinum chargecard) and have always rung up to have it refunded. This time the callcentre told me (two separate times) that it had now changed and even existing cardholders needed to pay £150. However, I sent an email to Amex explaining that this seemed incorrect (given the info on this board although did not say so!) and received a reply saying a) I was right and it did not apply to existing Platinum holders and b) the £150 charge would be refunded.

So the old rules apply, for now, but there does appear to be some confusion at Amex.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Do AMEX ever send a negative amount of miles to BA to reduce your balance?
No they never take miles from your account. You're right, you'll just be topping up negative miles until you're back in black. It's a bummer losing those x3 miles!

I do wonder what would happen if you tried to cancel an account with negative miles.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 2:25 am

Programs: BA Blue, Priority Club Plat (again!), Marriott Rewards Gold
Also got the letter regarding the 3% APR rise (to 46% I think). What a scandal given the current level of interest rates
Old Jan 7, 2009, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by TheMajor
Also got the letter regarding the 3% APR rise (to 46% I think). What a scandal given the current level of interest rates
Have the actual interest rates increased? The APR must include the fee, so if the fee goes up, then the APR has to be recalculated - so a 3% increase in APR is probably nothing to do with interest rates either charged by Amex or by anyone else in the big wide world.

Therefore no scandal at all.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 3:21 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, HHonours Diamond, BA AMEX PremPlus
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Have the actual interest rates increased? The APR must include the fee, so if the fee goes up, then the APR has to be recalculated - so a 3% increase in APR is probably nothing to do with interest rates either charged by Amex or by anyone else in the big wide world.

Therefore no scandal at all.
Absolutely. The APR is based on a nominal card balance (£1000?) and so is heavily skewed by a large fee like the £150.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 4:04 am

The fee that you will be charged is set out on the back of the letter under the heading "New Wording" in the second box down. It appears that existing Plat cardholders are not being charged any fee, so if you have had a free card in the past, and you are now being charged a fee, a call to Amex might be worthwhile. Nothing about bonus miles in my letter.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 4:56 am

My letter just told me about the increased APR which doesn't bother me as I pay my balance in full.

My last statement still says at the end my annual fee is £30.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by Euan
My letter just told me about the increased APR which doesn't bother me as I pay my balance in full.

My last statement still says at the end my annual fee is £30.
Look on the back. In the box beginning "The total charge for credit..." the annual fee (if any) is set out in the last sentence as part of the calculation of the total charge for credit.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 7:12 am

Perhaps I read the letter incorrectly and I have subsequently shredded it but I'm sure the APR increase is not entirely related to the annual fee. I thought I saw that the APR on purchases was rising to 19.9%.

Can anyone verify or did I dream this?
Old Jan 7, 2009, 7:17 am

Perhaps I read the letter incorrectly and I have subsequently shredded it but I'm sure the APR increase is not entirely related to the annual fee. I thought I saw that the APR on purchases was rising to 19.9%.

Sorry, to answer myself but now the advert for the Card on the BA website is showing 19.9% APR on purchases. It was previously 17.9%.

Also, Amex has suspended the capability for balance transfers for card holders, "in the current climate".
Old Jan 7, 2009, 10:00 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold

Yes, I've just had a letter telling me it's going up 2% to 19.9%
Old Jan 7, 2009, 2:31 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
The back of mine says it's going up 3%, from 16.9% to 19.9%.

The "total charge for credit" paragraph doesn't mention an annual fee at all (I have an Amex platinum card). It also quotes the APR as 19.9% on the front of the letter.

I thought the current climate had interest rates falling?
Old Jan 7, 2009, 2:39 pm

Programs: BA Blue
The rates and other critical bits and pieces are given in a Summary Box style PDF:

https://secure.cmax.americanexpress....x_05_11_08.pdf

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.