Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex & BA - 2009 Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2009, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by stenomanuk
I don't know why they won't authorise online though.
Well Tesco is split up into so many different companies, maybe a particular part of Tesco hasn't paid their bill!
Old Jan 31, 2009, 11:23 am

Had no problem paying on the grocery website with Amex, but I think that they actually process the transaction in the delivery store once the actual shopping has been done, whereas I think the Tesco Direct site processes online as soon as the purchase is made.

Tesco DVD Rental don't take amex (but that's run by LoveFilm anyway).
Old Jan 31, 2009, 1:25 pm

Programs: Amex Plat; BA Blue
Only minutes ago I bought a new microwave on the Tesco Direct site, using my Amex. It's a showbiz life.... but I thought I'd share it with you.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I was in PC World earlier today and the assistant said that they can successfully take some Amex cards but not all. Some will reject. So this may be a similar problem rather than anything sinister.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 2:39 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Question Oyster Tube Tickets

Are the top ups of Oyster treated as as a purchase? Or a cash advance?

I can't reconcile my spend this month to my miles balances (have a P+ card). I think I am not getting 1.5*miles for my Oyster top ups. Or is it something else?
Old Feb 3, 2009, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
My Oyster auto top-up goes on my Plat so I have at least one transaction a month usually. That at least is just a purchase there and not an advance.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Purchase - both Amex and MBNA treat it as such
Old Feb 3, 2009, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Globaliser
I was in PC World earlier today and the assistant said that they can successfully take some Amex cards but not all. Some will reject. So this may be a similar problem rather than anything sinister.
Amex acceptance works in weird ways. My MBNA Amex was refused last month for a £500 charge. I then handed over my MBNA Mastercard (ie same card issuer) and it went through without any problems.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by BA or bust
Are the top ups of Oyster treated as as a purchase? Or a cash advance?

I can't reconcile my spend this month to my miles balances (have a P+ card). I think I am not getting 1.5*miles for my Oyster top ups. Or is it something else?
Top ups are definitely purchase.

The apparent mismatch with the mileage earned may be to do with the fact that miles are now calculated and transferred to BA six days or so before the statement date. Miles for purchases in the last six days or so before the end of the billing cycle are carried forward and transferred in the following month. This makes it more difficult to work out whether everything is correct. But if you click on the "BA Miles to be transferred to your next British Airways Executive Club statement" link in the online statement, you can see a transaction-by-transaction breakdown.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Raffles
Amex acceptance works in weird ways. My MBNA Amex was refused last month for a £500 charge. I then handed over my MBNA Mastercard (ie same card issuer) and it went through without any problems.
When you make an Amex transaction the terminal will contact Amex directly for authentication. A transaction with Visa/MC is authenticated through the bank that provided the terminal.

I suspect some terminals are not set up correctly for Amex, I've had transactions declined and when I've phoned Amex they claim that there was no request for authorisation made by the retailer, in these instances usually trying another terminal will help.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 8:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI, ANA, HH Blue, SPG Gold
Retailers (small businesses) have a perception that transaction charges, when accepting AMEX, are higher than for VISA and Mastercard, so many outlets don't accept AMEX. I have just tried to make a large purchase with my AMEX, which would immediately give me my 241, but they didn't accept AMEX, so I have used my BMI VISA. It can be a real nuisance.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 12:26 pm
PTM

It is not a perception, it is a reality that Amex charge higher transaction fees to merchants. I would assume all merchants, not just small business are charged more by Amex. Hence some large businesses like John Lewis and Boots only recently started to accept the card as a payment method.

Our transaction fees are 1.5% for Visa/Mastercard and 3.05% for Amex. So over 50% more expensive to process an Amex payment.

I have heard that they are starting to become more competitive with regard to fees, so it may be worth asking places where you shop regularly to look into it again, especially if they were quoted something obscene years ago. I know people who were quoted upto 7% in the past! We have some suppliers who didn't accept Amex but with our pressure, and in some cases an offer to pay a fraction of the fees they now accept it. Of course some still refuse outright, so we don't use them anymore, I simply request that they contact me when they do!
Old Feb 4, 2009, 12:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum (+LTG)
Originally Posted by PTM
It is not a perception, it is a reality that Amex charge higher transaction fees to merchants. I would assume all merchants, not just small business are charged more by Amex. Hence some large businesses like John Lewis and Boots only recently started to accept the card as a payment method.

Our transaction fees are 1.5% for Visa/Mastercard and 3.05% for Amex. So over 50% more expensive to process an Amex payment.

I have heard that they are starting to become more competitive with regard to fees, so it may be worth asking places where you shop regularly to look into it again, especially if they were quoted something obscene years ago. I know people who were quoted upto 7% in the past! We have some suppliers who didn't accept Amex but with our pressure, and in some cases an offer to pay a fraction of the fees they now accept it. Of course some still refuse outright, so we don't use them anymore, I simply request that they contact me when they do!
Old Feb 4, 2009, 1:02 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
Platinum charge card insurance

I know this has been raised a few times over the course of this thread: do you need to pay for a flight ticket / hire car / hotel room using the card (or any other AmEx card) in order to take advantage of the travel insurance benefits offered by the card?

I'd never been quite sure of the answer and had previously understood that an AmEx card in your name had to be used in order to get the benefits (e.g. you could use the BA AmEx and still be protected by the travel insurance benefits cover offered with the Platinum charge card).

I've now got the book of words from AmEx specifying cover in each category and nowhere, apart from for the purchase protection-related benefit (i.e. you buy something and it gets lost or damaged within 90 days), does it state that you actually have to use any AmEx card in order to be covered. It does specify that in the event that you make a claim, say, for delayed baggage that replacement clothing should be charged to the card, but in practice I know this isn't set in stone: on the only occasion I've ever claimed against this cover, the merchants I went to in CAI unsurprisingly wouldn't accept AmEx. So I charged it to my Visa card and kept the receipts.

I'm kind of kicking myself, with the benefit of hindsight, as there are quite a few occasions over the years where the flight delay benefit (kicks in after 4 hours) would've allowed me to spend £150 each on dinner. Similarly all the times I've been cajoled into taking car hire insurance from the rental company, when faced with threats of all the amounts you might be required to stump up should something go wrong and you haven't taken their cover.

The 'travel inconvenience' benefit does seem a little thin as it's limited to £150 per person in the event of a delay, which doesn't exactly cover an alternative ticket, should this be the only option. But the cover is comparatively generous in many other regards.

Does anyone disagree with my interpretation that the cover is automatic to the primary and any supplementary cardholders, even if the flight tix etc. aren't bought using the card?
Old Feb 4, 2009, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by virtualtroy
I know this has been raised a few times over the course of this thread: do you need to pay for a flight ticket / hire car / hotel room in order to take advantage of the travel insurance benefits offered by the card?
No

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.