Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

[Q: When is the] Next BA Sale? [A: We don't know]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2013, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Moderator note:
This thread was archived on 01 February 2015. You can follow the active discussion in the When is the next BA sale? thread.

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum
Print Wikipost

[Q: When is the] Next BA Sale? [A: We don't know]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2014, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Not that straightforward as there is no BA or OW lounge at DUB but BA use a contract lounge instead. It is not clear to me that they would be obliged to provide access to someone flying the sector in Y in that case. I may be wrong, but in my understanding, the same day connection access rule applies to Oneworld lounges only.
Correct. We got denied at DUB flying Y, then connecting at LHR in CW. Agents used the "it's a contract lounge" excuse. Might depend on the agents on the day....
Old Aug 7, 2014, 11:20 pm
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by vonlance
Thank you kindly good sir. I'm assuming i'll have to call the gold line and have them only upgrade the LON-HKG RTN
Before calling, do a check on BA.com for the seats.

That website does not show live availability and I have found it to show seats that are unavailable.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 11:44 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BizClsDreaming
Correct. We got denied at DUB flying Y, then connecting at LHR in CW. Agents used the "it's a contract lounge" excuse. Might depend on the agents on the day....
The DAA lounge in T1 is listed on the oneworld lounge database so is a oneworld lounge.

http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access

So why wouldn't oneworld rules apply as usual?
Old Aug 8, 2014, 12:30 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by KARFA
The DAA lounge in T1 is listed on the oneworld lounge database so is a oneworld lounge.

Maybe lounge guardians not knowing the rules or having a bad day maybe
Old Aug 8, 2014, 12:33 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by A P Yu
Maybe lounge guardians not knowing the rules or having a bad day maybe
Power cut?
Old Aug 8, 2014, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by KARFA

The oneworld website lists the lounges that oneworld airlines use, regardless of the type of lounge they are - it does not make them oneworld lounges and the daa lounge is most definitely not one of them.

Ps: to illustrate my point, if you look round in some destinations, you'll see some AF or UA lounges listed.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 2:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
The oneworld website lists the lounges that oneworld airlines use, regardless of the type of lounge they are - it does not make them oneworld lounges and the daa lounge is most definitely not one of them.

Ps: to illustrate my point, if you look round in some destinations, you'll see some AF or UA lounges listed.
Ah, sorry. I was making the same assumption about the DAA lounge being a oneworld lounge.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 2:44 am

Programs: BA GGL (but soon to lose the GL :-(), IHG Spire Amb, Hilton Dmnd (and pleb/pleb-plus in 1001 others)
...if you look round in some destinations, you'll see some AF or UA lounges listed.
Indeed. When flying BOS-MAD on IB a few months ago I was a little perturbed to be directed to the AF lounge.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 3:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by flibbly
Indeed. When flying BOS-MAD on IB a few months ago I was a little perturbed to be directed to the AF lounge.
Yep, AB send you to the AF lounge at TXL when flying to AUH (and maybe other destinations?).
Old Aug 8, 2014, 3:25 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Gold, IHG Plat AMB
Originally Posted by nickerss
Yep, AB send you to the AF lounge at TXL when flying to AUH (and maybe other destinations?).
Ive heard about this redirect, but never experienced it. Last few times from TXL-CPH I had no issues usingthe BA lounge.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 3:46 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by nickerss
Ah, sorry. I was making the same assumption about the DAA lounge being a oneworld lounge.
No worry at all, I just wanted to avoid any confusion. DAA means "Dublin Airport Authority" - it is just an airport lounge which contracts out to most airlines using the airport (including BA but also the likes of Cityjet, etc). The big exceptions are EI and EY which both have their own lounge (some US airlines might too, I'm not sure?).

In practice, all the airlines using the lounge will tell the lounge people who should be allowed in, the lounge staff will keep a tally, and DAA will send the bill to each airline at the end of the month (I presume it is every month, I have no idea!!) I have no idea how much airlines are charged per passenger, but you can buy access for €20 per person (€15 for concessions) so if I were to make a wild guess I would imagine, maybe €7 or 8 per pax?

My reasoning in saying that one is therefore not entitled to access in DUB if flying DUB-LHR in Y and without status while having a same day J trip on BA or any Oneworld airline is as follows:

- BA mention their lounge network as a whole including contract lounges, but they specify access is for flying BA F or J, BA Gold or Silver, or OW Emerald of Sapphire. They do not mention travelling in Y and connecting to a J or F flight: http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...&link=main_nav

- In addition, Oneworld specifies access to Oneworld lounges when connecting on same day J or F itinerary but there is a note on third party lounges, saying (quite criptycally admittedly) that "access to these lounges is restricted to eligible customers when travelling on specific oneworld airlines as shown in the lounge finder tool." To me, this suggests that for contract lounges, each specific airline defines the eligible customers when it comes to contract lounges, and thus the rules are more restrictive than for Oneworld lounges http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access

I would, of course, be more than happy to be proved wrong on my cautious interpretation, but the DAA lounge is definitely not a Oneworld lounge and whatever rule applies there would be the one that pertains to contract lounges.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by Mattyb44
Ive heard about this redirect, but never experienced it. Last few times from TXL-CPH I had no issues usingthe BA lounge.
That would be no issue. Oneworld rules are such that you are fully entitled to use the BA lounge in such a case while flying AB. But it does not prevent AB from using another lounge (in this case AF) as a contract lounge. This is where things become really complex when there is a Oneworld lounge in an airport but another Oneworld airline uses another lounge as contracted!

Same with some airlines at ORD using the AF lounge rather than the BA one. But while in the TXL case, the BA and AF lounges are of roughly similar standards (both mediocre at best), at ORD, the AF lounge is a clear step above the BA Club lounge so probably best to follow the contract route!
Old Aug 8, 2014, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by nux
Before calling, do a check on BA.com for the seats.

That website does not show live availability and I have found it to show seats that are unavailable.
Check there's availability on BA.com for Avios CW seats on the dates you need (lots in Jan, Feb, Mar) - then phone the call centre. For £810.00 plus 30,000 Avios - Club World return to Hong Kong. Normal price from UK on same date is £3,313.

Unbelievable!
Old Aug 11, 2014, 9:31 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
ex-OSL to SYD

Prices in January-March in J seem to have come down again for OSL to SYD whereas other ex-EU flights still very high

OSL £4,091
AMS £7,096
DUB £7,168
BRU £7,107

for 2 pax before shareholder discount
Old Aug 11, 2014, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Not that straightforward as there is no BA or OW lounge at DUB but BA use a contract lounge instead. It is not clear to me that they would be obliged to provide access to someone flying the sector in Y in that case. I may be wrong, but in my understanding, the same day connection access rule applies to Oneworld lounges only.
In practice, it being Ireland, a polite request at check in would probably yield a lounge invitation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.