Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

[Q: When is the] Next BA Sale? [A: We don't know]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2013, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Moderator note:
This thread was archived on 01 February 2015. You can follow the active discussion in the When is the next BA sale? thread.

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum
Print Wikipost

[Q: When is the] Next BA Sale? [A: We don't know]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2013, 9:12 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by stifle
You know, I think the Advertising Standards Authority would be interested in this pattern of behaviour. BA repeatedly advertises sales as ending on day X, and very regularly extends them for a week or two. It could be construed as misleading advertising on the inference that they intended to extend the sale all along but were advertising an earlier closing date to get people to buy.
I doubt the ASA would be interested, but BA's alternate name is in danger of changing from London Airways to DFS Airways.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 9:17 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
I don't see the ASA being interested in this. BA extending sales by a few days or even a couple of weeks is only going to be seen as a good thing from a consumer perspective. At the end of the day these are sale fares. BA sells tickets on these routes for 90% of the year at significantly higher cost and can prove that.

It's hardly like the sofa retailers who have sales on for 365 days a year and the sale item often goes down in price after the sale ends.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 12:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, L'Accor Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Platinum
ASA only cares about length of sales if they're held for so long that they effectively become the base price. For example, a few years ago one of the sports retailers got told that their near permanent sales breached ASA terms because the prices weren't genuine sale prices. It's not unusual to extend sale periods and that's permissible so long as there is an end to the sale eventually and the prices during the sale are genuinely lower than pre-sale prices.

1F
Old Aug 11, 2013, 1:29 pm

Programs: BA Silver, ICH Plat, Club Carlson G, SAS S
Originally Posted by T8191
For WT+, last year it was 15 Aug, usually it's a week or so later according to my records.
ok thanks, I am particularly keen on the economy sale
Old Aug 11, 2013, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by 1nfrequent
It's not unusual to extend sale periods and that's permissible so long as there is an end to the sale eventually and the prices during the sale are genuinely lower than pre-sale prices.
In addition:-
  1. [*]
As there are plenty of periods when sale-level fares are simply unavailable (hence the popularity of this thread), it seems to be a very far-fetched idea that the ASA could even possibly be in the least bit interested.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 3:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
I7SALE on now - cannot believe I have just booked BRU-LHR-MIA-SFO-JFK-LCY-LHR-BRU for me and Mrs our_kid in J/I/A/A/I/J for next April

At least £500 off the previous fares I have been quoted - get to it
Old Aug 16, 2013, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by our_kid
I7SALE on now - cannot believe I have just booked BRU-LHR-MIA-SFO-JFK-LCY-LHR-BRU for me and Mrs our_kid in J/I/A/A/I/J for next April

is there a link you could possibly give to this please ?

never heard of I7SALE
Old Aug 16, 2013, 5:40 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad Plat
I believe it is only ex EU (and I'm not trying to start a bun fight with that term either!) that is seeing this. (AMS or BRU starting points for example).

Go to any mainland European BA site and price up a CW ticket...it will be the I7SALE fare if I'm not mistaken (and I could be!)

Hope this helps.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by BotB
I believe it is only ex EU (and I'm not trying to start a bun fight with that term either!) that is seeing this. (AMS or BRU starting points for example).

Go to any mainland European BA site and price up a CW ticket...it will be the I7SALE fare if I'm not mistaken (and I could be!)

Hope this helps.
OK so that is opposed to leaving from UK when you mean ex-EU ?

To me EU includes UK but appreciate rules differ
Old Aug 16, 2013, 6:25 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum Elite / BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by drspear
OK so that is opposed to leaving from UK when you mean ex-EU ?

To me EU includes UK but appreciate rules differ
ex-EU is a long-established phrase on this board, referring to departures from the continent. These tend to be considerably cheaper than departures from the UK.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 6:25 am

Programs: BA GGL
Basically it's an I class (restricted business) sale fare from a number of European cities. Depending on where you are going usually determines where you are best to leave from. Brussels, for example, is generally good for places like SFO and HNL; Rome tends to be good for YVR. You still take the same flights from London, but need to position yourself elsewhere to start with and then fly back to the UK as your first leg. It's also a great way of racking up extra tier points quickly.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
Basically it's an I class (restricted business) sale fare from a number of European cities. Depending on where you are going usually determines where you are best to leave from. Brussels, for example, is generally good for places like SFO and HNL; Rome tends to be good for YVR. You still take the same flights from London, but need to position yourself elsewhere to start with and then fly back to the UK as your first leg. It's also a great way of racking up extra tier points quickly.
ok that's its MCO I am trying to get to, but I guess once in USA there are countless internal flights, might make it work out less

looking at the WAW-JFK open jaw option is cheaper but leaving from ABZ it adds some 14 hours and the extra cost on so its marginal in the end. I guess I could use avios to get there, would mean ABZ-LHR-WAW-LHR-JFK-LHR-ABZ

could be worth a try, will have to get some body armour before making this suggestion
Old Aug 16, 2013, 6:35 am

Programs: BA-GGL, SU-G Agean, G,, Hhonours D, Starwood G, IHG G,
Why don't we start to use Ex-M EU, so as to differentiate between the UK, which is part of the EU and Mainland EU, then we don't have loads of posts correcting, agreeing and disagreeing each time it's used
Old Aug 16, 2013, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by our_kid

But how much was it ??
Old Aug 16, 2013, 7:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
Originally Posted by 710 77345
But how much was it ??
£1546

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.