Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

All my colleagues being upgraded to F. Why? [corp deal upgrades]

All my colleagues being upgraded to F. Why? [corp deal upgrades]

Old Jul 15, 09, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Question All my colleagues being upgraded to F. Why? [corp deal upgrades]

I haven't got any long-haul business trips booked, but it seems that many of my colleagues are getting one-way upgrades at the time of booking to F right now. Recently it seems to have been standard on the LON-NYC route, with three colleagues (out of three I've checked with) discovering when sent their booking details by the corporate TA that they flying out in F, back in CW. I don't know if it is happening much on other routes.

This doesn't seem to have anything to do with a shortage of club seats, as it is happening to people who are confirmed on one flight but waitlisted on two or three others: all the bookings, both confirmed and waitlisted, are showing F.

There certainly hasn't been an upward change in the corporate travel policy (which is definitely Club, not F, at all levels of the firm except the ultra-top) so this must be some kind of deal from BA, I guess for corporate customers. It doesn't look like the advertised "Buy J, fly one way in F" deals because it doesn't seem to need to be explcitly asked for and I'm pretty certain the full ticket flexbility has been maintained. The fares (around 2500 return) look like standard corporate J-class returns.
Old Jul 15, 09, 6:08 am

Programs: BA GGLfL
Not happening on our corporate tickets at the same price!
Old Jul 15, 09, 6:16 am

Programs: EY Platinum
The one-way upgrade offer is still running. Expires 31st July. Don't think it has to be explicitly asked for (I haven't in the past and still received the upgrade). The upgrade to F books into A or F fare classes, which afaik have similar flexibility to the J fare that is required in order to receive the upgrade.
Old Jul 15, 09, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by csdf View Post
The one-way upgrade offer is still running. Expires 31st July. Don't think it has to be explicitly asked for (I haven't in the past and still received the upgrade). The upgrade to F books into A or F fare classes, which afaik have similar flexibility to the J fare that is required in order to receive the upgrade.
Doesn't this need to be a full J fare rather than discounted corporate tickets?
Old Jul 15, 09, 6:58 am

Programs: EY Platinum
Yes, I think it does. J2BA and J2BAIE
Old Jul 15, 09, 7:00 am

Programs: AA, BA, BD
Originally Posted by Lolbert View Post
Doesn't this need to be a full J fare rather than discounted corporate tickets?
Could be an incentive to get some firms (ie Banks) flying again.
Old Jul 15, 09, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by csdf View Post
Yes, I think it does. J2BA and J2BAIE
Per para 2 "corporate negotiated net fares are not applicable for this promotion". Will check with BA anyway.
Old Jul 15, 09, 7:25 am
Original Poster

These are definitely corporate discounted tickets: I saw the total price as reported above. I didn't check the fare code itself, but I'm fairly sure we would normally only book refundable tickets for most long-haul trips.
Old Jul 15, 09, 8:12 am

Our travel agent has confirmed that the First upgrades are not available on our discounted corporate fares, despite the tickets being fully flexible. This is consistent with the line that I've been given previously. Shame as I'm flying to Jo'burg and NY in each of the next 2 weeks.
Old Jul 15, 09, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Our travel agent has confirmed that the First upgrades are not available on our discounted corporate fares, despite the tickets being fully flexible.
How big a customer are you? Show me the size of your corporate discount.

If I had such a booking I'd phone the TA myself to get to the bottom of it, but it seems like sheer nosiness (which of course it is) to call to ask questions about other people's class of travel. The odd thing it that this hasn't been advertised (to us) or even requested by those flying trying to take advantage of an offer they've seen. It's just that a lot of my colleagues have been pleasantly surprised to see themselves booked into F, particularly, as I say, LON-NYC (I choose my TLAs carefully - some are showing EWR bookings, also in F).
Old Jul 15, 09, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by LeisureFirst View Post
How big a customer are you? Show me the size of your corporate discount.

If I had such a booking I'd phone the TA myself to get to the bottom of it, but it seems like sheer nosiness (which of course it is) to call to ask questions about other people's class of travel. The odd thing it that this hasn't been advertised (to us) or even requested by those flying trying to take advantage of an offer they've seen. It's just that a lot of my colleagues have been pleasantly surprised to see themselves booked into F, particularly, as I say, LON-NYC (I choose my TLAs carefully - some are showing EWR bookings, also in F).
We are a large FTSE100 major revenue customer for BA. NY fares run at about 2,350 in flexible J. I will follow up with BA direct.
Old Jul 15, 09, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It has been running for us on certain routes for the last 6 months or so. One way upgrade on the more expensive Club route deal tickets. Nothing at all to do with the public offers. Pretty sure there was mention of this in the last Investor presentation too - seen as a revenue maximisation and loyalty tool for certain customers. We have good fares from VS on the table hence BA's interest in offering this.

Other airlines have run similar deals for us in the past, most memorably CX on both sectors.
Old Jul 15, 09, 10:03 am
Lux

Some corporate deals, as I think Swanhunter is saying, do have an agreement for one-way upgrades to First. I know this applies to, for example, a couple of megabanks.
Old Jul 15, 09, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
We are a large FTSE100 major revenue customer for BA. NY fares run at about 2,350 in flexible J. I will follow up with BA direct.
That is a good discount. You must give BA a lot of revenue.
Old Jul 15, 09, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Lux View Post
Some corporate deals, as I think Swanhunter is saying, do have an agreement for one-way upgrades to First. I know this applies to, for example, a couple of megabanks.
Have checked with BA who say that our fares are ineligible for the upgrade deal. Megabanks strike again...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: