Wiki Posts
Search

What do you put in a seat back pocket?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2009, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Question What do you put in a seat back pocket?

I am just curious...

A few weeks ago, coming back from the boot, during the safety demo, I noticed, out of the corner of my eye, a man just in front of the Club/Traveller divider rolling up a bit of chewing gum in the corner or a newspaper page and about to slip it into the seat pocket...

I obviously interjected and asked him to put it on the arm of the seat and I would get a tissue and take it to the bin when the safety demo was finished.
Well, I think this man thought it was his own private jet and continued to place it in there, whilst telling me to mind my own business and pay attention to the safety video... (This was after I had to do my amazing 4 second twirl in the isle pointing out the exits...) I did not take kindly to it, and told him not to do it. He complied and it was dealt with... he was acting like a petulant child in a sulk at this stage...

Personally, I think it is the most disgusting thing in the world, to put things like that in the seat pocket...

What about you likely lot?

What have you seen or placed in a seat pocket... that you really should not have?

Best Regards,
Old Jul 5, 2009, 6:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BingBongBoy

What have you seen or placed in a seat pocket... that you really should not have?
My passport - Realised what I'd done on the way to immigration and had to go back to the gate.
Wish they would hand out a rubbish bag on longhaul flights. The amount of wrappings and other stuff one collects along the way is surprising and I usually just stuff it in to the seat back pocket for the poor cleaners to collect.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 6:36 pm

Programs: Virgin Silver, BA Blue, HHonors, Priority Club
My mother would have put that passenger over her knee and spanked him... she was totally, absolutely against chewing gum, wasn't allowed in the house. Glad you stepped in BBB, behaviour like that is totally disgusting and out of order.

As for putting things in the seat back pocket, I'm pleased to say that I limit myself to my bottle of water and maybe a banana. I'm a good girl.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
My answer to the question posed in the title of the thread: nothing I would miss- as odds have shown sooner or later I'll forget to pick it up before deplaning.

I think "dry" rubbish is fair game- papers, etc. Anything wet should be disposed of personally.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 6:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze, M&M FTL, TK *G HHonors Gold
I once put my iPod there. I have a new iPod now

Actually, that's happened to me twice, although the first time, it was a Creative mp3-player, not an iPod..
Old Jul 5, 2009, 6:37 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Wish they would hand out a rubbish bag on longhaul flights. The amount of wrappings and other stuff one collects along the way is surprising and I usually just stuff it in to the seat back pocket for the poor cleaners to collect.
That is a jolly good idea - I am the same. I feel terribly guilty for the cleaners and the thought of tight turnarounds but don't want to look like a bag lady coming off with all my rubbish so I do leave it

Of course - sometimes I can't reach the seat pocket in front of me and have to use the bins at the side

Regards AKS120
Old Jul 5, 2009, 6:41 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
My glass case, paper back book I might be reading and my own personal earphones
Old Jul 5, 2009, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
A watch, I remembered it when the alarm went off, I hadn't meant to put it in there but I had taken it off and it was resting half in half out. When I pulled out Shop the world it fell in and I forgot about it for a while.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 9:16 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
I stick my travel wallet with passport and Skyflyers log book in there. My glasses while sleeping, newspaper, bottle of water, empty cups, cans, cellophane.. I prefer to keep the floor clear.

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Wish they would hand out a rubbish bag on longhaul flights.
Actually, the air sickness bag is labelled 'waste' and is a good place to store that dry stuff - the blanket wrapper, the elastic bands, Club Kitchen food wrappers etc. Fill up the bag and hand it to the crew or leave it on your seat afterwards.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 9:24 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
The bottle of water that DL gives me when I board.. And the plastic from the headset. That's it. I have seen people throw all kinds of trash in that thing...

I am somewhat afraid to peak.. It is kind of like the idea of looking under a hotel room bed.. You know the ones that do not have the box..... You never know what you might find...
Old Jul 5, 2009, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
I have a small zip pocket that contains my cell phone, one credit card, a little cash and my passport. In the event of an accident I will grab it out of the seat back on my way to the emergency slide. I don't want to find myself hustled away to an immigration office to be interrogated because I don't have my passport!
Old Jul 6, 2009, 12:56 am

Programs: Shiny ones
Laptops?

I've noticed that N American airlines (possibly others - but I've not noticed) say you can't put your laptop in the seat pocket. Why not? I've seen various suggestions that it's to do with 'weight' but most computers don't weigh much these days and certainly less than several magazines, a bottle of water, a book and everything else that seems to get crammed in there. Certainly compared to 100kg of pax in the seat, the minor addition of <3kg of laptop doesn't seem to matter too much. Is it airlines not wanting claims for laptops in economy that get crushed when pax recline?
Old Jul 6, 2009, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

bmi give you a little plastic rubbish bag. Seems a bit of a waste for a sandwich wrapper and coke can.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 1:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by martinfoss
I once put my iPod there. I have a new iPod now

Actually, that's happened to me twice, although the first time, it was a Creative mp3-player, not an iPod..
I once left a PSP on the way home to GVA. I called the airport the following day and was amazed that it had been discovered by the cleaners and handed in.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Slightly OT, but I was on AS a few weeks back, PSP-SFO in F. There was one absolute dragon of an FA (plus two good ones) but this individual came round after the safety briefing and insisted there was nothing to be left in the seat pockets for take off - not even an empty water bottle.

Claimed it was an FAA rule. He attitude hardly softened at all despite the 4hr technical hold up we ended with at PSP. Bad, bad apple....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.