FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   MASTER THREAD: Seat and flight availability (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/969201-master-thread-seat-flight-availability.html)

Swanhunter Jun 27, 2009 3:26 am

MASTER THREAD: Seat and flight availability

As regular readers will have noticed there are an increasing number of threads asking for seat and flight availability details. To keep these in one place - and also to provide some self help - we have created this master thread.

How to look for seat and flight availability?

www.ba.com can help. Using flight explorer you can see what 'fare bucket' is currently being sold and if less than 9 seats are left this will also be noted. If you have status or are travelling on a qualifying ticket MMB will also show you the seat map for your flights.

www.expertflyer.com. A subscription web-based service that gives you access to the full inventory for flights and also allows you to access seats maps for many airlines (including BA up to T-24). One point of note: it uses US Point of Sale availability which can and often does vary from UK availability especially on long routes (e.g. I is available in the US but only C in the UK)

www.kvstool.com. This offers much more flexibility on point of sale and the GDS (Global Distribution System) you can access, but does require a download to your PC.

There are other tools e.g. www.seatcounter.com but I don't have experience of using those.

shuly Jun 27, 2009 4:28 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter (Post 11977169)
As regular readers will have noticed there are an increasing number of threads asking for seat and flight availability details. To keep these in one place - and also to provide some self help - we have created this master thread.

There are other tools e.g. www.seatcounter.com but I don't have experience of using those.

seatcounter (and its mirror on the web site cited in my signature) requires verification but no subscription. It provides accurate counts for availability in the various fare buckets. There's a limit on the number of queries a given IP address can post in one day.

Shuly

voracious violinist Jul 8, 2009 3:13 pm

BA299 to ORD on 29/07 - is it busy please?

I decided to splurge and have got an MFU to CW for my return trip, but woe is me, there was nothing showing up for the departure on BA299 on 29/07. So I'm in WT+ for the moment...

Going to MMB, I have my seat allocated for the trip down from NCL, but no specific seat mentioned for the LHR-ORD sector, obviously I realise that I can't change seats til -24 but I thought it would show up where I am at the moment?

Would it please be possible for someone kind and considerate to see how full WT+ and CW currently are on that flight? Wondering whether any more availability to MFU up to CW may appear between now and then, or if WT+ is looking over-booked with the lucky chance they might think "we'll chuck the voracious violinist into CW... even if she is only Blue...?

Really was looking forward to these scones for tea. :( Maybe I'll have to end up raiding the CW Kitchen... :D:D

Singapore_Air Jul 8, 2009 3:18 pm

Best I can do unfortunately - maybe someone else will be more helpful !

[KVS Availability Tool 5.0.1/Platinum - WSpan: Availability/ITN/US-WOT]
Code:

LHR  London Heathrow UK [EGLL]
ORD  Chicago O'Hare Int'l IL US [KORD]
WED  29 Jul 2009

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  ---------------------------------------------------------
BA        299    LHR  17:50    ORD  20:05    744  0  F2 A1 J9 C9 D9 R9 I5 E9 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V0 S0 N0 Q0 0 0

[KVS Availability Tool 5.0.1/Platinum - Amadeus Seat Map: 29 Jul 2009/BA 299/LHR-ORD/744/C]
Code:

A  B    |  D  E  F  G    |  J  K     
12                                      +  +     
13    +  +        +  +  +  +        +  +     
14    +  +        +  -  +  +        +  +      L
17    +  +        +  +  +  +        +  +     
18    +  +        +  -  -  +        +  +     
19    +  +        +  +  -  -        +  +      W
20    +  +        +  -  +  +        +  +      W
60    +  +                            +  +      U
61    +  -                            +  +      U
62 E  +  +                            -  -      U
63 E  +  +                            +  -      U
64    -  +                            +  +      U

[+] Available  [-] Unavailable    [E] Exit Row 
[W] Wing        [L] Lavatory      [U] Upper Deck

[KVS Availability Tool 5.0.1/Platinum - Amadeus Seat Map: 29 Jul 2009/BA 299/LHR-ORD/744/W]
Code:

A  B  C    |  D  E  F  G    |  H  J  K     
28 E      +            +  -  -  +            +          W
29 E  +  +            +  +  +  +            +  +      W
30    +  +            +  +  +  +            +  +      W
31    +  +            +  +  +  +            +  +      W

[+] Available  [-] Unavailable    [E] Exit Row 
[W] Wing        [L] Lavatory      [U] Upper Deck

voracious violinist Jul 8, 2009 4:12 pm

Confused...

Thanks Singapore Air for the info, I'm afraid I don't know the first thing about how to interpret it but hopefully someone will be able to help.

:confused:

Cheetah_SA Jul 9, 2009 1:36 am

A "+" shows an available seat and a "-" one that is taken or blocked for allocation (e.g. reserved for Golds, bassinet etc.). Basically both cabins are still wide open with very few seats allocated. Given the seating policy this may have nothing to do with loads, though.

Prospero Jul 9, 2009 1:51 am

Originally Posted by voracious violinist (Post 12034613)
Thanks Singapore Air for the info, I'm afraid I don't know the first thing about how to interpret it but hopefully someone will be able to help.

:confused:

Singapore_Air posted flight availability figures, the J9 C9 D9 R9 I5 indicate good availability in Club. The diagrams that followed are representative of the current seat maps. I've extrapolated this into a more user friendly format below. Those seats already assigned are indicated with a dollop of orange.
http://www.flyertalk.pwp.blueyonder....299_090729.jpg

U class availability is known to open up closer to the date of travel, so keep checking BA.com.

Cheetah_SA Jul 9, 2009 3:19 am

Wow! Nice job, Prospero! :-:

voracious violinist Jul 9, 2009 5:10 pm

Oooh I like colours...!

Thanks very much Prospero - I am definitely a "pictures and colours" girl so that makes the whole issue so much clearer in my head!

With the J9 C9 D9 R9 I5 figures, which category would an MFU be going into? It's W isn't it? I guess I just have to hope my luck changes between now and the 29th. At the moment when I go into MMB both the upgrade for money and upgrade for miles are greyed out. :(

I have to admit I've not done an MFU before as I was never a Tesco Tart with enough miles until I joined this forum, have always bought nice seats myself or been treated. So this is my big treat of the year to be honest.

frankvb Jul 9, 2009 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by voracious violinist (Post 12041109)
With the J9 C9 D9 R9 I5 figures, which category would an MFU be going into? It's W isn't it?

No, W is WT+ fully flex. You can't obtain MFU (or the same, regular award availability) from a normal flight availability tool like EF. Only the ba website (or the Qantas one) will work. And some tools that process those internally like KVS...

BTW: CW (and CE) award bucket is U.

jcnorway Jul 10, 2009 12:00 am

What is the load for BA113 LHR-JFK on 03AUG09? I'm in CW for the first time :)

speedbird182 Jul 10, 2009 1:47 am

Originally Posted by jcnorway (Post 12042620)
what is the load for ba113 lhr-jfk on 03aug09? I'm in cw for the first time :)

Here you are jcnorway

[KVS Availability Tool 5.0.1/Lite - WSpan: Availability/ITN/US-WOT]
Code:

LHR  London Heathrow UK [EGLL]
JFK  New York John F Kennedy Int'l NY US [KJFK]
MON  03 Aug 2009

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  ---------------------------------------------------------
BA        113    LHR  15:35    JFK  18:10    744  0  F9 A9 J9 C9 D9 R8 I0 E9 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L6 V0 S0 N0 Q0 0 0

jcnorway Jul 10, 2009 2:21 am

Thanks speedbird182!

A lot of space left I see :rolleyes:

voracious violinist Jul 10, 2009 9:55 am

Thanks Frank for the clear explanation, I shall just have to keep glueing myself to ba.com in the hope of something coming up. Starting to wonder what kind of luck people have had with upgrading with miles actually on the day of flight at airport...

Swanhunter Jul 10, 2009 9:58 am

Originally Posted by voracious violinist (Post 12044471)
Thanks Frank for the clear explanation, I shall just have to keep glueing myself to ba.com in the hope of something coming up. Starting to wonder what kind of luck people have had with upgrading with miles actually on the day of flight at airport...

None at all. The airport systems can't cope with it.