Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

London Gatwick to Grenada [NGCW, experience and seat questions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2009, 1:18 am
Original Poster

Travelling to Grenada 23 Jun returning 30 Jun with my wife - on BA2156 / 7 in Club World.

A couple of questions:
Will this flight be in new club world ?
Anybody any experience of this route ?
Any advice on best seats to hopefully select at OLCI ?

Any hints & tips gratefully received - many thanks.
Roberto & Fifi
Old Jun 12, 2009, 2:08 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Done this route many times - Grenada is my favourite holiday destination.

Not sure whether the plane you will be on has been upgraded to New CW yet - but it will be a 3 class 777 - and IMHO the best seats for a couple are 4A and 4B or the equivalents on the other side of the plane 4J and 4K.

You will have a stop over in Antigua for an hour during which the crew will keep your champagne glasses filled up. Then a new crew comes on board for the hour's flight from ANU to GND during which you will get more booze and a few canapes.

On the way back the "shuttle" crew take you back from GND to ANU where there will be another hour on the ground whilst the plane is refuelled and catered. Then the next crew come on board and the service begins properly - i.e. you won't get your wash bags when you leave Grenada - you just get drinks and canapes - the proper service begins on departure from ANU.

In my recent experience most people get off in Antigua - there were only 32 of us travelling onto Grenada las time an no one else in CW.

Grenada is a beautiful place. If you are staying in a property on Grand Anse beach - you will find that there are beach vendors but they are very polite and will go away if you ask them But watch out for the ones who actually have a craft (rather than flogging T Shirts) - the guys who carve coral or hard woods are very talented.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 2:16 am

RobertoBruno - welcome to Flyertalk!

In addition to edi-traveller's very useful response (and compelling pitch for Grenada as a holiday destination - must add that to the list!), you'll be pleased to hear that per this post, all of the LGW fleet now has the latest version of the Club World seats.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 7:55 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by edi-traveller
Done this route many times - Grenada is my favourite holiday destination.

Not sure whether the plane you will be on has been upgraded to New CW yet - but it will be a 3 class 777 - and IMHO the best seats for a couple are 4A and 4B or the equivalents on the other side of the plane 4J and 4K.

You will have a stop over in Antigua for an hour during which the crew will keep your champagne glasses filled up. Then a new crew comes on board for the hour's flight from ANU to GND during which you will get more booze and a few canapes.

On the way back the "shuttle" crew take you back from GND to ANU where there will be another hour on the ground whilst the plane is refuelled and catered. Then the next crew come on board and the service begins properly - i.e. you won't get your wash bags when you leave Grenada - you just get drinks and canapes - the proper service begins on departure from ANU.

In my recent experience most people get off in Antigua - there were only 32 of us travelling onto Grenada las time an no one else in CW.

Grenada is a beautiful place. If you are staying in a property on Grand Anse beach - you will find that there are beach vendors but they are very polite and will go away if you ask them But watch out for the ones who actually have a craft (rather than flogging T Shirts) - the guys who carve coral or hard woods are very talented.
Great endorsement for Grenada - in fact it has reinvigorated my thoughts to perhaps use my AMEX 2-4-1 for a trip in Oct/Nov 09 - particularly now all the 777s are upgraded. My concern was that this seems to be in the middle of the rainy season. Anybody been there at that time of year and could maybe advise?
Old Jun 12, 2009, 7:59 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Originally Posted by pjh981
Great endorsement for Grenada - in fact it has reinvigorated my thoughts to perhaps use my AMEX 2-4-1 for a trip in Oct/Nov 09 - particularly now all the 777s are upgraded. My concern was that this seems to be in the middle of the rainy season. Anybody been there at that time of year and could maybe advise?
Driest time is December to April - though the end of November will probably be fine.

Some of the resorts in Grenada - Coyaba and La Source to name two have extensive grounds and lots of beautiful flowers and trees - if you go early in the dry season you are going to see these gardens at t heir absolute best - green grass and a riot of colours. The further into the dry season you go the more scorched the earth becomes - but they still do a remarkable job to keep the place pretty.

Check out my blog page here - for a review of my lasted trip to Grenada.

http://www.grandnat.co.uk/index.php?..._id=1240340997
Old Jun 12, 2009, 8:21 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by edi-traveller
Check out my blog page here - for a review of my lasted trip to Grenada.
I stayed in the Coyaba a couple of years ago, just after they'd re-opened following the hurricance damage. It was very quiet at the time (June 2006) and the garden was still being put back together but it's great to see that the Hotel has prospered - as you say in the blog, a small Hotel, not going to get every tick box on a list of features, but a very friendly group of people and, at the time at least, a great Chef who was very adept with fresh produce.

To pjh981 - in June you could pretty much count on one heavy downpour a day, but it wasn't unpleasant and the sun would come out again pretty quickly. I'd check on the history of Tropical storms but from memory those should be finished by Oct/Nov time.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 5:33 am
Original Poster

Thanks

Yes, many thanks for info above...only 48hrs to wait now...anybody tell me if flight on Tuesday is busy?
Old Jun 21, 2009, 5:47 am

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
Pretty busy on the outward leg:
J3 C2 D1 R1 I1 W3 E2 T2 Y3 B2 H2 K2 M1 L1 V1 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G0

4AB still available

Return:
J9 C9 D9 R9 I9 W8 E8 T9 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S6 N4 Q0 O0 G0

4JK available

hth - enjoy your trip
Old Jun 21, 2009, 5:54 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
deleted - dunk beat me to it

Last edited by hsmall; Jun 21, 2009 at 6:01 am
Old Jun 21, 2009, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Thanks again, however...

...please excuse my ignorance but what does this "code" mean?

Sorry!
Old Jun 21, 2009, 1:59 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
I presume by "code" you mean the seat class/bucket availability data...

This says the number of seats available for sale in each fare bucket. Although the flight has three classes, i.e. CW/WT+/WT, each of these classes have several different fare buckets that BA sells, e.g. CW has J (full fare, fully flexible), C (almost as flexible), D, R, I etc.. with I the least flexible. The data, e.g. suggest that there ae 8 CW seats left for sale.

Hope that helps,

tb

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.