Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The birdseed

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2009, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

The birdseed

Gawd, I didn't think the pathetic wee 'Skybites' in horrific plain white no frills packets did actually contain 'seeds'!

I duly handed my packet back to senior steward and didn't get a cookie instead
Old Jun 6, 2009, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by alasdair_m
Gawd, I didn't think the pathetic wee 'Skybites' in horrific plain white no frills packets did actually contain 'seeds'!

Enjoyed it then!
Old Jun 6, 2009, 5:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
It is pathetic, isnt it ? You pay £350 for a return, you are running late from a meeting, you have no time to pick up a sandwich at Paddington or LHR, and you get presented on the plane with birdseed.

At least on the scummy airlines you have the choice of being able to buy yourself a sandwich. On BA you don't even get the choice. You have to sit there for two hours starving until you get home.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 5:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by alasdair_m

They're pretty dire aren't they - I've noticed a lot of people seem to refuse it (as do I) - much better to grab a quick snack in the lounge or a packet of Kettle Chips to take with you IMHO!
Old Jun 6, 2009, 5:32 pm

Programs: BAEC, Iberia+
Indeed, quite foul! They're akin to Spanish pipas...
Old Jun 6, 2009, 6:28 pm

Programs: Virgin Silver, BA Blue, HHonors, Priority Club
I do wonder why BA can't at least offer sarnies to buy on birdseed flights? Would think that would be very popular and as Easyjet and Liarair frequently demonstrate, you can chuck a lot of stuff around the cabin in a very short flight if the cabin crew are determined enough.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wiluk
I've noticed a lot of people seem to refuse it (as do I) - much better to grab a quick snack in the lounge or a packet of Kettle Chips to take with you IMHO!
Yeah, I think the member of staff I handed it back to was familiar with people handng it back

Thank god I stopped at Franky & Benny's in GLA before I left
Old Jun 9, 2009, 12:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
I always think of it as the floorsweepings of the factory at the end of the shift - surely no-one would chose to put that particular mix together deliberately?
Old Jun 9, 2009, 12:35 pm

Programs: EY Platinum
Originally Posted by jaslocombe
Indeed, quite foul! They're akin to Spanish pipas...
hey - I've got fond memories of chewing pipas* of a warm Spanish evening and watching the girls go by.

* there's quite an art to it
Old Jun 9, 2009, 1:14 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
I don't particularly like raisins which is a little unfortunate.

Jordan's bar contains raisins

Skybites contains raisins.. I can just eat the seeds to have any nutrition at all on my daytime shuttles.

Great value at over £200 return...
Old Jun 9, 2009, 3:01 pm

Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
Originally Posted by sg17463
It is pathetic, isnt it ? You pay £350 for a return, you are running late from a meeting, you have no time to pick up a sandwich at Paddington or LHR, and you get presented on the plane with birdseed.
Oh and add insult to injury if it is to/from LGW -- "Oh we don't have enough crew, so we can't be @rsed, oops, sorry, don't have enough crew to serve a cup of tea or coffee."
Old Jun 10, 2009, 5:38 am

Programs: BAEC
I think the staff are embarrassed handing it out.

As I usually fly CE I only encounter this on domestic flights, thank god! But I do wonder why BA bother.

I would rather they improve the domestic offering - the breakfast is pretty good, so why don't they offer a similar lunch and dinner ?

Otherwise they should ditch the 'snack' completely on shorter flights and just concentrate on the drinks.....
Old Jun 10, 2009, 6:45 am

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
Given the 35 minute security cut-off, in theory at least there should be enough time to buy a sandwich before boarding, I would have thought.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 7:47 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by James S
Given the 35 minute security cut-off, in theory at least there should be enough time to buy a sandwich before boarding, I would have thought.
You shouldn't have to though, surely, when flying with a 'full service' airline ?
Old Jun 10, 2009, 7:52 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond

At least on the scummy airlines you have the choice of being able to buy yourself a sandwich. On BA you don't even get the choice. You have to sit there for two hours starving until you get home.
or in the case of my peak time Friday eve 2hr delayed LHR-GLA flight the other week, naff all on board except coffee and sugar sachets (but no stir stix) not even water.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.