Wiki Posts
Search

SIN - LHR BA16 (777) question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2009, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

SIN - LHR BA16 (777) question

Hi
I've booked myself a trip in September to Singapore from LHR and managed to ensure I have the 747 going out (and thereby ensuring NGCW) but I chose (perhaps rashly) the BA16 flight coming back which is a four class 777. I chose this over the QF flight (aircraft undisclosed) as I wanted to ensure access to the T5 arrivals lounge when I arrive (and being a silver I have to have the correct boarding pass to access).
My question is whether the 777 on BA16 SIN-LHR is old skool club world or NGCW? - I've done a search and found differing reports.

Also - anyone had any offer to upgrade to F for a fixed price at the gate? The option to upgrade to F for money is not showing on my booking at the moment and I think I'd take it like a shot!

Thanks
Flyr
Old Jun 1, 2009, 2:02 pm

Location: Beautiful Stockholm,....and now getting darker earlier...urgh
Programs: BAGold. That´s it....oh, and Hertz #1 Gold 5 Star
Originally Posted by Flyr
My question is whether the 777 on BA16 SIN-LHR is old skool club world or NGCW?
Flyr
Was NGCW couple of weeks ago, I don´t think BA would dare put Old GCW on this route (all the way to SYD). They save those 777´s for the carribean routes You can´t win ´em all.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 2:12 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
All of BA`S 777 4 CLASS A/C HAVE BEEN FITTED WITH NGCW, THEY ONLY HAVE 1 3 CLASS A/C LEFT TO DO AND THIS A/C IS IN CARDIFF BEING FITTED WITH NGCW SEATS AS WE SPEAK.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Excellent - thanks, that is awesome awesome news.
Not that I can complain hugely about travelling in business/club class, but I did travel the old generation club world recently on a trip back from DFW and boy did I realise quickly how much more comfortable I found the NGCW - and DFW - LHR is a much shorter flight!!

Another question - is the arrivals lounge bus to T5 easy enough to find?

Thanks again
Flyr
Old Jun 1, 2009, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
All 4-class 777s have been refurbished with NGCW, as the Club World Guide sticky states.

The Qantas aircraft type, if BA is stating it as 'Not available' is likely the A380.

I chose the QF A380 outbound in August and the BA 747 inbound (rather sensibly to secure the upper deck ).

I'm unsure of the paid upgrades to First at SIN check-in, and would be interested to know the answer too...

PS. If you book with BA on a QF codeshare, you still get access to Galleries Arrivals at T5 - you don't if you book with QF.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 2:22 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

You'll be relieved to hear the 777s on the 16 are powered by Rolls Royce engines and as this 4 class subfleet has been refitted, all seats feature on demand IFE.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 2:47 pm

Location: Beautiful Stockholm,....and now getting darker earlier...urgh
Programs: BAGold. That´s it....oh, and Hertz #1 Gold 5 Star
Originally Posted by AW73
All of BA`S 777 4 CLASS A/C HAVE BEEN FITTED WITH NGCW, THEY ONLY HAVE 1 3 CLASS A/C LEFT TO DO AND THIS A/C IS IN CARDIFF BEING FITTED WITH NGCW SEATS AS WE SPEAK.
Well, they did that pretty quick, great news. However I did fly LHR-ARN!!!! on the 4 class 777 just before Xmas 08 with the old CW. First was blocked, and I sat 10A. (This flight was originally 767 SH, standard, but then 767 LH, being replaced at T5 on day of departure by 4class 777 OGCW).

Shame it was only a 2 hour flight

Both our return flights to BGI in Sept and Oct/Nov 08 were 4class 777´s Old GCW, so I´m very impressed^^
Old Jun 1, 2009, 3:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue
Originally Posted by Prospero
You'll be relieved to hear the 777s on the 16 are powered by Rolls Royce engines and as this 4 class subfleet has been refitted, all seats feature on demand IFE.
Is there a danger of getting a 777 with NGCW without AVOD? I'm flying LHR-JFK in Aug in F. Is it likely the aircraft on that route will have AVOD and if not are the tape players still available in F?
Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Flyr

Another question - is the arrivals lounge bus to T5 easy enough to find?

Thanks again
Flyr
Is your question about T4-T5 or T3-T5?

Have the SIN flights moved to T3 yet? If so, what is the new T3 lounge complex like?
Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Dr Groggy
Have the SIN flights moved to T3 yet? If so, what is the new T3 lounge complex like?
The remaining BA T4 flights and the QF flights will be moving to T3 in mid-October 2009.

The Galleries Club lounge has recently opened in T3, with a Galleries First lounge and Elemis Travel Spa opening when the longhaul flights move into T3. BA and QF will use the American Airlines Arrivals Lounge in T3.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by Genius1
The remaining BA T4 flights and the QF flights will be moving to T3 in mid-October 2009.

The Galleries Club lounge has recently opened in T3, with a Galleries First lounge and Elemis Travel Spa opening when the longhaul flights move into T3. BA and QF will use the American Airlines Arrivals Lounge in T3.
Thanks, so I assume for SIN in September the choice on departure is restricted to the other oneworld longes at T4, but arrivals can use the T5 lounge.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dr Groggy
Thanks, so I assume for SIN in September the choice on departure is restricted to the other oneworld longes at T4, but arrivals can use the T5 lounge.
There is only one oneworld departure lounge now left open at T4 - the BA Gate 1 Lounge. This is for all BA/QF F and J passengers and status pax.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by Genius1
There is only one oneworld departure lounge now left open at T4 - the BA Gate 1 Lounge. This is for all BA/QF F and J passengers and status pax.
Gosh, that must be one busy lounge. Is the Holideck still open?
Old Jun 1, 2009, 6:02 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by duncas
Is there a danger of getting a 777 with NGCW without AVOD? I'm flying LHR-JFK in Aug in F. Is it likely the aircraft on that route will have AVOD and if not are the tape players still available in F?
There is a chance, yes, and no way of knowing in advance (seating plan does not generally help). The JFK routes see a mix of the 4-class 777 fleet operate, some with AVOD, some not. AFAIK, they hand out DVD players in F if AVOD not available.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by Chrispyat60
However I did fly LHR-ARN!!!! on the 4 class 777 just before Xmas 08 with the old CW. First was blocked, and I sat 10A. (This flight was originally 767 SH, standard, but then 767 LH, being replaced at T5 on day of departure by 4class 777 OGCW).
Oh WOW Chrispy! You were a passenger to fly in the midst of Stockholm-Gate... You are of a privileged few to bare witness to that...!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.