Nasty Hot Towels ....

Old May 27, 09, 11:51 am
Original Poster
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AA LT Plt, IHG Spire
Nasty Hot Towels ....

been noticing lately that the hot towels given on BA are stained and dirty! What is the policy of BA on these? I mean really dirty ....I would at best clean my shoes (not a hint) with them, not my hands and face.
Old May 27, 09, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I was about to say how can they be, as they are not reused but I can guess what is happening. The crew are filling up an empty teapot and this is giving the water and the towels a slight brown colour.
CIHY
Old May 27, 09, 12:24 pm

Location: Macau SAR. HKG (office) and KEN (work that out - clue, UK)
Programs: BA Silver, Asia Miles, HHonors Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Spire Ambassador
Mea Culpa

I always use them to clean the seat, the table and the video screen........& finally my shoes.

This thread will no doubt give the bean counters the excuse to enhance the service by justifying an improvement by offering those pre packed towelette things.
Old May 27, 09, 12:49 pm
Original Poster
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AA LT Plt, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Mea Culpa

I always use them to clean the seat, the table and the video screen........& finally my shoes.

This thread will no doubt give the bean counters the excuse to enhance the service by justifying an improvement by offering those pre packed towelette things.
I am glad you admit, because I do the same.
Old May 27, 09, 1:56 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Mea Culpa

I don't use them on my shoes, and neither do I use it on my face (I don't want to be seen without my makeup!) but I do use them to clean the seat, the armrest and the surroundings too.

But I thought those towels are thrown away anyway?

I haven't come across any dirty ones, by the way.
Old May 27, 09, 2:02 pm

Location: Beautiful Stockholm,....and now getting darker earlier...urgh
Programs: BAGold. That´s it....oh, and Hertz #1 Gold 5 Star
Originally Posted by Can I help you View Post
I was about to say how can they be, as they are not reused but I can guess what is happening. The crew are filling up an empty teapot and this is giving the water and the towels a slight brown colour.
CIHY
Really funny, have watched CC doing this on most flights (I can see from 1A), so my towel is boiling, (havn´t noticed it being another colour!). Sitting further back the boiling water has time to cool down
Old May 27, 09, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia View Post
I don't use them on my shoes, and neither do I use it on my face (I don't want to be seen without my makeup!) but I do use them to clean the seat, the armrest and the surroundings too.
I've seen people do this. But why? I can't see a lukewarm cloth helping clean anything.
Old May 27, 09, 2:26 pm

Programs: BMI & BA
Stephen K Amos

On a related note, did anyone see Stephen K Amos's routine about hot towels in Business Class?

From about 0.40 secs in - youtube clip - fairly safe for work with mild swearing
Old May 27, 09, 3:18 pm

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by Can I help you View Post
CIHY
From my seat in 1C or 1D, I usually see that the crew use a cardboard cup of the sort they make tea for the jetty security type in, and fill directly from the hot water boiler. This is then sprinkled across a freshly opened tray of towels.

Also I usually see the used towels being emptied into the waste chute in the loo - not down the loo!.
Old May 27, 09, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Swanhunter View Post
I've seen people do this. But why? I can't see a lukewarm cloth helping clean anything.
It does help to wipe down coffee spill stains etc. Unfortunately I find coffee etc stains quite often on table, armrest, seat etc.

I'm not germophobic so I'm not trying to kill germs.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; May 27, 09 at 4:15 pm Reason: I still can't write
Old May 27, 09, 4:14 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

I've also done this before but got caught in the act by the purser. She insisted if was going to start with the windows at my seat, I better finish the job and wash all the others too.
Old May 27, 09, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia View Post
It does help to wipe down coffee spill stains etc. Unfortunately I find coffee etc stains quite often on table, armrest, seat etc.

I'm not germophobic so I'm not trying to kill germs.
You've clearly got higher standards than me. Too many years as a scummy backpacker.
Old May 27, 09, 4:26 pm

You've clearly got higher standards than me. Too many years as a scummy backpacker.
Not really higher standards. I'm just being a fussy b**ch, that's all.

Or maybe I'm just trying to avoid stains to avoid dry cleaning bills.
Old May 27, 09, 4:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
I've also done this before but got caught in the act by the purser. She insisted if was going to start with the windows at my seat, I better finish the job and wash all the others too.
Newspaper is better for getting windows clean
Have cleaned "my" window a couple of times when there have been grease / hair gel marks on it. I'm unlikely to lean in that close, but bleuch!
Old May 27, 09, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by heckenhocker View Post
Have cleaned "my" window a couple of times when there have been grease / hair gel marks on it. I'm unlikely to lean in that close, but bleuch!
LOL, that is rather 'yuck!', too, especially when you think that it might actually be hair oil (as in oil from the scalp). The London tube with the solid panel at the end of the seat has the effect of repelling me from it because of it.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: