Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

When is it time to complain? Champagne in the toilets...

Old May 11, 2009, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Folks,

I want your sage advice on something. I recently flew LCA-LHR on BA. I was right at the front of the cabin, and as soon as the seat belt sign had been switched off, I made a dash for the toilets (front left of a 767).

When I opened the door I discovered a open-topped plastic box packed full with champagne bottles and ice was being stored on the floor of the toilet. Obviously, I removed it before using the facilities. Storing drinks in the toilets is, in my view, pretty disgusting.

I decided to speak to the CSD, as I felt this was very inappropriate -- especially during these times of heightened awareness of hygiene. The CSD was quite dismissive, saying they had to be put somewhere for takeoff.

So, my question is a) would this bother you? b) should I complain to BA?

Thanks,

FL
Old May 11, 2009, 10:04 am

Programs: Etihad Gold
a) Yes
b) Yes
Old May 11, 2009, 10:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, M&M, PC PlatAmb, Marriott, SPG
Originally Posted by Jimbob247
a) Yes
b) Yes
I double your offer.
Old May 11, 2009, 10:12 am

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush Elite, AA Plat, BA Blue, and a host of others.
Had the galley detached from the aircraft? Why would anyone think it ok to store food or drink in the loo? Disgusting.
Old May 11, 2009, 10:14 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
a) No
b) No

This is a common practise to ensure that the shampoo is well chilled before serving and much appreciated. The bottles are sealed so no contamination!

PS the loos are probably more hygenic than the cabin with people coughing and spluttering and spraying various viruses around!
Old May 11, 2009, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
I'd be more worried about glasses, etc being in there as long as the bottle was unopened. Was the ice in a sealed plastic bag or just loose in a bucket?

If the ice was sealed up and the bottles unopened then there's no real hygene risk although I would say it's worth a note to BA because nonetheless I'd still be hesitant to drink the stuff knowing where's it's been.
Old May 11, 2009, 10:18 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
I think this is easily explained: the champagne had been labelled with its Flyertalk name.
Old May 11, 2009, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Was it all actually stuffed in the bog itself? Were people actually pissing on them before you got into the toilet? What makes you think a box of sealed bottles on the toilet floor (so there'd be box and glass between your actual Champagne) is any worse than a dirty/dusty/grimey galley or trolley which has been battered and shunted all over LHR and countless outstations? Do you intend to lick the bottle before you pour it into a clean glass? Do you drink Champagne out of the bottle? Was the ice loose and strewn over the floor to be scooped up and put in drinks or was it inside a bag?

Wouldn't have bothered me at all...unless you're going to tell me the answer to my last question is the former.

heightened awareness of hygiene
Massively OTT obsessive panic regarding hygiene.

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by OPebble
a) No
b) No

This is a common practise to ensure that the shampoo is well chilled before serving and much appreciated. The bottles are sealed so no contamination!
I wouldn't be as concerned about the actual liquid being contaminated as I would about the hands of the FA or the bottle being contaminated. the FA does serve the glass, for instance. If he/she doesn't wash hands copiously after their being in touch with something that was on the loo floor (), the chances of contamination are greatly increased.

IMHO, this is disgusting. BA need to know.

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by layz
I'd be more worried about glasses, etc being in there as long as the bottle was unopened. Was the ice in a sealed plastic bag or just loose in a bucket?

If the ice was sealed up and the bottles unopened then there's no real hygene risk although I would say it's worth a note to BA because nonetheless I'd still be hesitant to drink the stuff knowing where's it's been.
The ice is used to chill the champagne. It is not served in drinks.
Old May 11, 2009, 10:22 am

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
At the very least, this thread shows that the practice makes some pax uncomfortable and for this reason alone it should be discontinued.
Old May 11, 2009, 10:28 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
Originally Posted by G-BOAC
Was it all actually stuffed in the bog itself? Were people actually pissing on them before you got into the toilet? What makes you think a box of sealed bottles on the toilet floor (so there'd be box and glass between your actual Champagne) is any worse than a dirty/dusty/grimey galley or trolley which has been battered and shunted all over LHR and countless outstations? Do you intend to lick the bottle before you pour it into a clean glass? Do you drink Champagne out of the bottle? Was the ice loose and strewn over the floor to be scooped up and put in drinks or was it inside a bag?

Wouldn't have bothered me at all...unless you're going to tell me the answer to my last question is the former.

G-BOAC

I am not quite sure where you stand on this issue.. You coudl at least answer the a,b questions to make it clear
Old May 11, 2009, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Mr H
At the very least, this thread shows that the practice makes some pax uncomfortable and for this reason alone it should be discontinued.
Easy - they don't have to drink the champagne - more for me!
Old May 11, 2009, 10:35 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA LTG/GGL/CCR, AF PLAT, ETHIHAD AND LH USELESS PLASTIC
Originally Posted by G-BOAC
I'm inclined to agree... and I am sure there is absolutely no more risk in there than anywhere else...

BUT, hygiene aside, the bog just isn't the place to store drinks that are then going to be served to people! It just isn't done! At the very least it's a question of presentation and style.

If I were to see my Champagne chilling on the floor of the loo, irrational I may be, but I am absolutely sure I wouldn't be so keen to drink it afterwards.

Sounds more like a shot from Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares than the ususal standard I would expect from BA
Old May 11, 2009, 10:36 am

Programs: Mucci Master of the Skies, Does anyone read any further than Mucci anyway? BAEC Blue
Originally Posted by OPebble
a) No
b) No

PS the loos are probably more hygenic than the cabin with people coughing and spluttering and spraying various viruses around!
What if you saw this practice in a restaurant. Would you have the same opinion. I think not. If it's ok by you, if they can store the champers in the loo, can they store the cleaning chemicals in the galley?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.