Does anyone else remember Dan Air?

Old Jan 4, 2010, 1:34 pm

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Only if you're a chav.
I think I might have been.... in the 80's dark suntan, curly permed hair, white high heeled shoes, small white handbag, strapless dress, born in Essex ................is that what you had in mind Hidds???
Old Jan 4, 2010, 2:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by pinkcat
I think I might have been.... in the 80's dark suntan, curly permed hair, white high heeled shoes, small white handbag, strapless dress, born in Essex ................is that what you had in mind Hidds???
That matches the description I have in my mind of PUCCI GALORE although probably more 60s than 80s.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 3:35 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by pinkcat
That paints a picture ..... that is disturbing me
Old Jan 4, 2010, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
Those I REALLY miss, especially in view of today's BA, are BRITISH CALEDONIAN... That was Style with a capital S.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 4:05 pm

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Originally Posted by antichef
That paints a picture ..... that is disturbing me
I'm not surprised, I thought I looked good at the time actually I did look good in the 80's its just things have gone downhill from then
Old Jun 1, 2019, 4:19 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Thread archaeology courtesy of Google, but after extensive research while sorting out the old slide collection, I was pleased to discover that I'd actually flown on a Dan Air Comet 4C, on my second ever flight (and so presumably first as well). This was to Corfu on a family holiday in 1972. Here's the photo of the plane on stand on the island.

[EDIT in case anyone finds this thread via the photo, this was actually 1975 and I'd had many more flights at that point. The date was helpfully written on the slide by Messrs Kodak so no excuse really. My second ever flight was in fact in 1971 and was in a Comet, from Gatwick. Better version of this photo down thread somewhere]

In my recollection - we did this holiday for a few years running - it was a 727, but presumably that came later. I have a clear recollection of the rear steps.

The only memories of the flight I have was that I was sitting on the left hand side, and was shown the alps as we overflew them. And there was a rather garish interior, with maps in the seat back pocket, and somewhere in the food was a potato and dark green pea salad.

squawk and Maestro Ramen like this.

Last edited by bisonrav; May 12, 2020 at 4:25 pm
Old Jun 1, 2019, 5:05 am

This brings back memories. The B727 was a great performer for take off, but was rather fuel inefficient. I remember those days with fondness, the lottery of LGW-FNC pre runway extension. We were only allowed to go in a 100 series with serviceable nose wheel brakes, by day on a dry runway with the wind in limits from the wind chart. Not much to go wrong there then. I used to take a bag with 3 days clothes for a simple out and back.
bisonrav likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 5:20 am

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
"you'll never get to Spain on a Dan Air plane as a Dan Air plane won't go that far....."
Old Jun 1, 2019, 5:44 am

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I'm afraid I associate Dan Air with a rude and rather funny ATC anecdote that has been doing the rounds (the BA & LHR version has also been doing the rounds).

I shan't post it here as it contains a rather rude swearword, but if you do a Google search on "Danair 123 ABZ" and do a bit of digging around, you should be able to find it.
Found it, how rude! Maybe easier to goodle Danair ATC humour 123.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 5:46 am

I remember my first flight with Dan Air was to Moscow in December 1971.It was a B727 and I sat right at the very back with the seats almost on the floor if I remember right.We disembarked down the steps in the tail of the aircraft and Russian soldiers/ police with rifles lined the tarmac.It was a long weeked Thomson charter holiday and included half board at the Hotel Intourist just off Red Square. The fully inclusive cost inc transfers was Ł33 per person and I paid mine from my paper round money. ( I was really happy flying economy in those days probably as I could fit in the seats!)
Happy memories. 😁
nivsy and bisonrav like this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Was saying not Dangerous And Nearly Always Incredibly Rough??

Or was that just for the cabin crew....😜😛🤐🙄🤔
Old Jun 1, 2019, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by steveblower
I was coming back from Amsterdam to LGW a few days ago, and the FA looking after us in Club seemed familiar to me....

and after a while,I worked out the connection.

She had been one of the heroic ladies who managed to serve a hot breakfast on the early morning flights from Gatwick to Manchester, in the days of Dan Air, before it got gobbled up by BA.

It used to be quite amazing, they could get a tasty (and satisfyingly greasy) hot cooked breakfast to a full flight of hungry travellers, in about 20 minutes.

The flight this week was not at all busy, so we had the chance for a nice memory jogging chat about those long ago days, while I glugged some champagne...
My first flight was a Dan Air from NCL to JER, had to divert to LHR and stay overnight because of fog! I was about 10 and it was all very exciting.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; RyanAir MillionMiler :( ;
Lol, yes! I travelled to Maarsen a lot in those days. Dan Dare as they were known, hehe.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 10:11 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
I always preferred Dan's sister, Donna

M
Old Jun 1, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50k, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plus Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Thread archaeology courtesy of Google, but after extensive research while sorting out the old slide collection, I was pleased to discover that I'd actually flown on a Dan Air Comet 4C, on my second ever flight (and so presumably first as well). This was to Corfu on a family holiday in 1972. Here's the photo of the plane on stand on the island.
Also flew with them several times, from mid-60's to one of thier final flights CDG/LGW in November 1992. Flew Comets several times, as well as thier BAC1-11, Boeing 727 and 737 aircraft.
Attached cabin plan is from a Clarksons holiday to Nea Makri, Greece in August 72. Guess which seats we had!

Last edited by mlafqtv; Jun 1, 2019 at 10:19 am Reason: Typo

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.