Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does anyone else remember Dan Air?

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2009, 11:56 am
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
good old dan dare.. i flew them back from brussels the week it was announced that BA were taking them over.
Old May 2, 2009, 1:16 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, TK Elite, Dragonpass, HH Silver
I remember them. I believe my first flight was on Dan Air to somewhere in Spain. Now I just think of them and it reminds me of Alan Partridge.
Old May 2, 2009, 2:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Silver, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hilton HHonors Silver
My second ever flight was Newcastle to Jersey on a Dan-air BAC 1-11.

They helped me over my early flying nightmares after a first ever flight on an Air-uk turbo prop

Last edited by john_r06; May 3, 2009 at 2:09 pm
Old May 2, 2009, 2:24 pm

Location: Beautiful Stockholm,....and now getting darker earlier...urgh
Programs: BAGold. That´s it....oh, and Hertz #1 Gold 5 Star
Dan Air, that does bring back memories even though I´m still very youngha ha. They used to fly pretty regularly to ARN during the 70´s with that "beautiful" Comet (you know, the one at the end of the runway they use for fire drill!!). Never flew it but my mates came over for a weekend, and they paid Ł19 including 2 nights in a "..hotel.." if my memory is correct
Old May 2, 2009, 5:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
My first ever flight was Dan Air, LGW-FRA (I think!) on a school trip. We bussed from Scotland to LGW to make the flight
Cris L likes this.
Old May 2, 2009, 8:20 pm

Programs: BA
first ever flight too

my first ever flight was also with Dan Air,
Leeds Bradford to Jersey in the Channel Islands, i was so excited i jumped up and down and my glasses fell off in the departure lounge....the crew gave me a "captain dan hare" cuddly toy as a welcome gift....
Old May 3, 2009, 1:56 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze :-(, United, Virgin, Starwood, Marriott
My first flight was also on Dan Air. It was on a school trip so many of the passengers were teenagers who had never flown. It was a Comet and I remember being told that the windows in the early Comets fell out because they were square (someting to do with pressure build up in the corners).

To make it worse we hit very heavy turbulance. At this point the whole plane started screaming (not saying if I did!). The Dan Air crew were excellent and it cleatly didn't have a lasting effect on me.
Old May 3, 2009, 3:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Titanium
I remember a Dan Air flight bound for Aldergrove (Belfast International now) landing mistakenly at the nearby Langford Lodge airfield. Must have been the 80's.
Old May 3, 2009, 3:52 am

Programs: DL Gold, CO Silver
DanAir -My first flight-and my mother's last. Circa 1970 LGW PMI on a Comet.
My mother was petrified-weird considering she was an ex Sir Henry Lunn employee and used to travel at staff rate quite happily in the days the planes flew through the Alps not over them. She never flew after that for pleasure (just to one or two funerals where time was of the essence) and we vacationed on cruises out of Southampton instead.

My father owned a small travel agency chain so my Saturday and holiday job -and subsequent first real job involved booking lots of DanAir flights-so I guess they really were a part of my childhood/growing up.
Old May 3, 2009, 4:01 am

Programs: BA Silver
I remember them well and particularly remember a flight about 16 years ago from CPH to NCL via, I think, ABZ. We got to ABZ and the ABZ passengers disembarked (or at least all bar one of them did!) and we then sat for a further half an hour while the FAs did numerous headcounts and made umpteen announcements that this was Aberdeen and anyone wishing to disembark there should do so now. Eventually someone had the bright idea of cross-referencing the manifest with our boarding-passes ^ Why it took them so long to think of that I don't know but the 'excess' passenger was found and left the plane. I think alcohol may have played a part in his geographical confusion!!
Old May 3, 2009, 4:23 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Stez
I remember watching Dan Air aircraft on approach to NCL in my school days.
My first ever flight was Dan Air to Stavanger then on to Bergen in Norway on a school ski trip out of Newcastle. They will always hold a special place in my heart.
Old May 3, 2009, 6:56 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by JeffBHD
I remember a Dan Air flight bound for Aldergrove (Belfast International now) landing mistakenly at the nearby Langford Lodge airfield. Must have been the 80's.
As well as the BA shuttle on the 757 to BFS, we had these treats from Dan Air to look forward to. They were not the only ones, i think there was a spanish airline (?) about the same time. I have been on one flight in recent years where i think from the descent pattern we were about to do the same, as we started to gain altitude again about Langford lodge!
Old May 3, 2009, 12:05 pm

Programs: BD*G -> BA Gold + A3*G (now dropped to BA Silver)
My first scheduled flight as a child was on Dan Air from NCL-LGW, all previous flights had been BY charter flights for the family holiday.

It's so long ago I don't remember much of the flight, there was food served with metal cutlery which you'd never get these days. I remember thinking Gatwick was huge at the time (particularly considering how small NCL was at the time) and although I've used LGW a number of times since it's been the only time I've used the South Terminal.

I do miss the old layout of NCL which remained for many years. The rooftop viewing area, the landside cafe with good views of the aircraft. It made dropping people off at the airport a pleasure, you could relax with them until they really needed to get through security. Now there's nothing really decent airside.
Old May 3, 2009, 12:48 pm

MAN/LGW

BA flight numbers on the above still same (albeit with a '9' in front of them) as when BCal on the route... then transferred to Dan Air!!

Anyone remember the Romanian (Tarom) 1/11 on the first one out and last one back ?

Tarom Purser and Pilots...

still got p))ed though... 3rd G and T over Stockport ( 0n the way back that is!!)
Old May 3, 2009, 4:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Silver VIP, Overworked Cabin Crew
Originally Posted by UFGBOY
BA flight numbers on the above still same (albeit with a '9' in front of them) as when BCal on the route... then transferred to Dan Air!!

Anyone remember the Romanian (Tarom) 1/11 on the first one out and last one back ?

Tarom Purser and Pilots...

still got p))ed though... 3rd G and T over Stockport ( 0n the way back that is!!)
Hmmmm UFGBOY, Im wondering if from your handle you have spent time on the lovely Tristar queen of the skies?
I certainly do remember Tarom, the airline I was working for at the time did a bit of work with them, but some of us refused as there were no lifejackets under the seats and the crew would drink alcohol with their crew meals! (if only!!!!)
Loving this thread, my geekiness can really come into its own

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.