FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Does anyone else remember Dan Air? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/949770-does-anyone-else-remember-dan-air.html)

Ulstair Jun 23, 2009 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by JeffBHD (Post 11685672)
I remember a Dan Air flight bound for Aldergrove (Belfast International now) landing mistakenly at the nearby Langford Lodge airfield. Must have been the 80's.

You're right JeffBHD. It was late 80's and the aircraft was a Hawker-Sidderly HS748 (known as a 'Budgie').
Dan-Air used them between BFS & NCL, and also from LGW to BFS on SAT/SUN low demand services. Mon-Fri LGW flights were a BAC1-11.
BA also used these wee planes from BFS to GLA.
Hard to believe that the National Carrier Used to serve LHR/GLA/EDI/LPL/BHX/IOM/ABZ/MAN/NCL from Aldergrove during the 1980s.
I was fortunate to fly on the last-ever Shuttle flight into BFS at the end of Oct 2001, and had front row seats on a 3 day old A319.
A sad day for aviation in Norn Iron that was.

stillflying Jan 4, 2010 5:26 am

Originally Posted by pinkcat (Post 11681680)
Vividly
it was a Dan Air flight from Girona that was responsible for my 20 year "grounding" with fear of flying:eek:
A curious thing is that the flight I took in order to be "cured" was Ryanair:eek::eek:

Sorry pinkcat, it was not Dan Air that was responsible for your 20 year "grounding" with fear of flying - Dan Air was a very good airline - I know because I was a Stewardess for 3 years with them and they were great.

I found many passengers that had a fear of flying but they did not choose an airline you have chosen to slander - it is within you, not the airline.

If Dan Air were still in business I would still fly with them with no hesitation.

Ex-Stewardess,

Geraldine

uk1 Jan 4, 2010 5:37 am

Originally Posted by stillflying (Post 13107354)
If Dan Air were still in business I would still fly with them with no hesitation.

Ex-Stewardess,

Geraldine

Hi Gerladine,

I remember the days well .... as well as the Portakabins at Luton. I recall a few were occupied by Monarch ops and some others by Dan Air. I also remember that when I was taken out for a drink with Monarch ops ( I worked for the company that supplied their computers and helped supply the software that gave them computers to calculate maximum take-off weights for each runway length for their new Rolls Royce engines - and avoid manual calculation ) how often we'd come across Dan Air pilots in the pub pre-flight. I think the drinking rules were a touch more "friendly" then. I remember one Dan Air pilot complaining about the number dials that weren't working!

One of my other clients was Ciba Geigy Bonded Structures - they make the panels of the aircraft that are sometimes replaced when damaged. I remember being taken around their plant at Duxford and being shown some outer panels that were in a "reject and reinspect" pile. These panels are essentially a honecomb web of paper immersed in resin and covered with a metal (aluminion I think) cover. You can lift a plane panel with a finger. Panels were sometimes rejected if the colour was a bit inconsistant. I was told at the time that if BA reject a panel then Monarch might take it. If Monarch reject it then Dan Air will probably take it.

Old days .......

I must admit those days - the pilots in the pub, the dials, and the plane panels all combined to give me a bit of Dan Air aversion ....

stillflying Jan 4, 2010 5:37 am

Well, weren't you lucky to be a "galley slave".

I was a Flight Attendant with Dan Air for 3 years and am proud to admit it - I loved the camaraderie within both flight crews and cabin crews - the whole airline was like a close knit family which I have never found again in my life since then.

Don't like the pax, they come and go.

On the whole, I found it a wonderful life to live with Dan Air and would do it all over again, and again......

stillflying Jan 4, 2010 5:43 am

I don't believe you. I have flown with many airlines all over the world and I know Dan Air would not do that.

seraphina Jan 4, 2010 5:54 am

Ahh, my very first flight was with Dan-Air as a mere slip of a girl. Can't even remember exactly where to or from (Belfast, but not sure whether BHD or BFS) to someplace in the French Alps for skiing, so would have been a charter. I do remember that wonderful smell of aviation fuel/oil that you used to get that sadly has disappeared from more modern aircraft - you used to really know you were on a proper machine when you smelt that!:D

uk1 Jan 4, 2010 5:59 am

Originally Posted by seraphina (Post 13107454)
I do remember that wonderful smell of aviation fuel/oil that you used to get that sadly has disappeared from more modern aircraft - you used to really know you were on a proper machine when you smelt that!:D

I think the pilots called it "after shave"?:D

stillflying Jan 4, 2010 6:01 am

Incidentally, Girona is actually spelt Gerona

redsailor Jan 4, 2010 6:26 am

As its lunchtime.......

Originally Posted by stillflying (Post 13107479)

If pinkcat was refering to the city in Catalonia, Spain then I believe it is referred to as Girona by the locals. As we all know - "when in Rome......."

And as no-one else has mentioned it - welcome to FT Geraldine :rolleyes:

Skimo Jan 4, 2010 7:10 am

A touch sensitive Stilflying, methinks, but welcome nonetheless. Can't find anything in pinkcat's post that comes even remotely close to slandering Dan, btw. Oh, and we already have official spellcheckers/grammar monitors on this forum. They won't take kindly to a johnny-come-lately encroaching on their turf :p

Gaza Jan 4, 2010 8:24 am

I'm another who popped their flying cherry with DanAir. EDI-AGP in 1976 on a Comet 4C.

The aircraft at East Fortune has the interesting interior. The overhead racks are exactly that; racks, not bins with lids. The seating is also interesting. The 2-3 config used by DanAir was not standard Comet 4C as they were 2-2. I read many years ago that DA increased capacity by effectively bolting on an extra seat to each row. The CAA would never allow that these days!

edi-traveller Jan 4, 2010 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Gaza (Post 13108140)
I'm another who popped their flying cherry with DanAir. EDI-AGP in 1976 on a Comet 4C.

The aircraft at East Fortune has the interesting interior. The overhead racks are exactly that; racks, not bins with lids. The seating is also interesting. The 2-3 config used by DanAir was not standard Comet 4C as they were 2-2. I read many years ago that DA increased capacity by effectively bolting on an extra seat to each row. The CAA would never allow that these days!

They also had some rear facing seats so you had one row of 10 people looking at each other like on a train. I sat in one of those rear facing seats on a trip to Menorca about the same time Gaza.

pinkcat Jan 4, 2010 9:36 am

Originally Posted by stillflying (Post 13107354)
Sorry pinkcat, it was not Dan Air that was responsible for your 20 year "grounding" with fear of flying - Dan Air was a very good airline - I know because I was a Stewardess for 3 years with them and they were great.

I found many passengers that had a fear of flying but they did not choose an airline you have chosen to slander - it is within you, not the airline.

Ex-Stewardess,

Geraldine

Is this a wind up???, you chose a 6 month old thread to ressurect, accuse me of slander and tell me I am lying,:td:
I know perfectly well where I flew, I spent many summer holidays in Girona and Barcelona, all by coach after that experience
I didnt give the reason at the time I posted it because it wasnt necessary but since you accuse me of slander, one engine went out on the way home to LGW the plane dipped to one side for a few minutes and it was enough to put me off flying for 20 years. I think you should choose your words more carefully before you launch into another tirade :td::td:

LTN Phobia Jan 4, 2010 9:59 am

I'm afraid I associate Dan Air with a rude and rather funny ATC anecdote that has been doing the rounds (the BA & LHR version has also been doing the rounds).

I shan't post it here as it contains a rather rude swearword, but if you do a Google search on "Danair 123 ABZ" and do a bit of digging around, you should be able to find it.

HIDDY Jan 4, 2010 10:57 am

Originally Posted by stillflying (Post 13107479)

Only if you're a chav.