Wiki Posts
Search

Low cabin pressure on A320?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2009, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G, FB Plat, BA-GGL
Low cabin pressure on A320?

I just flew LHR-OSL with a BA A320. After reaching cruising altitude I started hurting in the whole left side of my face. I am not good enough in English to explain exactly (sorry). It lasted through the entire flight until we started to decend towards OSL. When down to about 30.000 feet it started getting better.

This was the second time in a row this has happened on this flight on the BA A320. Have flown 20 legs with other planes in the same period without any problems. Last time was late march.

This time the person in front of me also complained about heavy noise and vibration from the emergency exit door (I heard it too).

Anybody heard or experienced the same thing? If it is a common problem with these planes I have to quit flying BA, because it hurts like h***.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
I've never heard anything like this happening before. Certainly all BA planes are well maintained (well, theoretically!). Did you mention your face hurting and the vibrating emergency exit to the crew?

Out of interest, what flight number and date was it? That way the exact aircraft can be pinpointed if it's a fault with the aircraft (highly unlikely that it is).
Old Apr 29, 2009, 10:22 am
Original Poster

I didn't point it out to the crew. The guy in front of me made a point about the noise and vibration from the emergency exit, but they was not interested. So I didn't bother.

Flights was BA766 on 29/4 and BA768 on 14/3.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Fnate
Flights was BA766 on 29/4 and BA768 on 14/3.
BA768 on 14 March was operated by G-EUUC. The info for today hasn't been uploaded yet (it will be in a couple of days), so I can't check the BA766 today, but it will be interesting to see if it was the same aircraft.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 10:32 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
I wonder if you have a blocked sinus and because of that the air pressure inside your skull could not balance with the cabin pressure?

The old trick to clear this is to pinch your nose with the finger and thumb of one hand and to breath out through your nose against your closed finger and thumb.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OPebble
I wonder if you have a blocked sinus and because of that the air pressure inside your skull could not balance with the cabin pressure?

The old trick to clear this is to pinch your nose with the finger and thumb of one hand and to breath out through your nose against your closed finger and thumb.
Don't think so. I know what you mean, and have felt that a few times. But it is not the case here. But thanks anyway.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
This sounds like a medical condition, rather than something specific to a certain aircraft. If this persists I would seek the advice of a physician.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by N965VJ
This sounds like a medical condition, rather than something specific to a certain aircraft. If this persists I would seek the advice of a physician.
Yes, that is absolutly possible. I am certanly more sensitive to this than most.

But the thing is I fly 150 segments a year, and have done so for many years. Between these to flights a have flown 20 segments with B737 and A319. No problem at all. It is just this A320 from LHR-OSL that cause problems.

The plane I flew today was BTW also the same as in march i think. At least I remember G-?UUC. So this spesific plane IS different.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 10:48 am
Gaz

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, UA Gold
Originally Posted by OPebble

Mate of mine managed to perforate his eardrum practicing this "old trick" on a plane. So use with care!
Old Apr 29, 2009, 10:54 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Fnate
When down to about 30.000 feet it started getting better.
I'm no expert, but I wouldn't have thought there would be any significant change in cabin pressure at that sort of altitude. I believe that the cabin pressure for most flights in the cruise is somewhere in the range of 6,000 - 8,000ft. I'm not sure how directly the relationship between cabin pressure and actual altitude is. A quick search online suggests that similar symptoms are related to the speed of the change of pressure - do a Google search for 'barotrauma headache'.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 1:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
I remember once flying GVA-LHR when the pilot announced (already before takeoff), that there was a problem with pressurization and that we would be flying at lower altitude than usual. I think we flew at 15 or 20 rather than the usual 30 to 35 and rather slower than usual. The flight took about 10 minutes longer than usual.
I have also once flown with a dental problem - the lower pressure (and different pressure differences) did make it uncomfortable, but it was only a short haul.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 2:09 am
Original Poster

It just seems strange. Obviously I am more sensitive to this than many. BUT:

* It was the same plane 2 times in a row (95% sure it was G-EUUC)
* I have flown 20 times in between without problems (on other aircrafts)
* The person in front of me complained too

The first time I had that problem I didn't think much about it. I thought I might have a cold comming or something.

I have flown so much that I know about the "stinging feeling behind the eye", the holding you nose and blowing, the "having a cold syndrom". But this was different. But it feels more and more like saying I have seen a ghost or that I have been captured by little green men.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 5:36 am

Location: 15 minutes west of LHR, Stockholm, or somewhere inbetween.
Programs: BAEC Gold GGL, CCR, GfL, Mucci des Recherches des Consommations Exotiques.
I'm not qualified to speculate about the cause of what you experienced, but, as you said you experienced the same problem twice with the same aircraft.

I'd suggest that you either call or e-mail BA Customer Services, or send a PM to one of the BA staff on this board, telling them your experience, the aircraft in question and ask them if there has been a problem with this aircraft.

I have in the past, experienced presurisation problems on board aircraft, but I don't recall my symptoms beeing anything like the ones you describe.

bjorns
Old Apr 30, 2009, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by bjorns
as you said you experienced the same problem twice with the same aircraft.
It wasnt the same aircraft.

766/29th wa G-EUUR

Its not possible to have any significant differential pressure within the aircraft, so unless all passengers/crew (the pilots would have been aware of any problems anyway) on both flights were affected i'd suggest a physiological reason with the OP and the nearby passenger. Its not unusual to encounter strange feelings in flight. It may just be you moved your head in a certain direction when the aircraft was turning/accelerating/climbing and confused your balance mechanism or any one of many reasons none of which will have anything to do with the cabin pressure.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 6:07 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, HHonours Diamond, BA AMEX PremPlus
Loving the new sig, Jumbodriver

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.