Wiki Posts
Search

Berlin Terraces

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2009, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (1.7MM); BD *G; HH Diamond
Berlin Terraces

I know TXL has a small Terraces lounge, but does anyone know how early it opens? Also, if I'm travelling without checked luggage, can I check in there rather than walking down to the gate and then back up?

Thanks.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 3:13 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA GOLD, SPG PLATINUM, MR GOLD, AX CENTURION, etc.
Sorry, I don't know when the lounge opens, but you can check-in there. I think there is even a self service check-in terminal in the lounge. Otherwise the lounge desk officers are usually very friendly and helpful out there. So don't worry. It is even possible to take your bags into the lounge, when you arrive early, before the check-in desks will open (as the check-in in TXL is at the gate and they have to share the gates with a lot of other airlines, the check-in counters open often less than 90 min before departure).

FlyingSmurf
Old Apr 23, 2009, 9:04 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
They took the self-checkin machine away some time ago from the lounge.

Tegel also won't accept your bag until the previous flight has left which can be an issue when BA flights are quite close together and going from the same gate.

The staff there are usually lovely and it is usually quiet, despite the other airlines passengers who now pay to use it.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 10:02 am

Programs: BA executive Club Silver
The friendliest and nicest staff of all the european lounges. Also the best snacks as well. I believe the lounge opens at 6:30. They have a nice selection of cereals yogurhrts and toasts in the early morning hours. They also have an excellent assortment of snacks throughout the day.

This is definately one of the top european terraces lounge, not only because of the offerings, but because of the staff, who cannot do too much to ensure everything is top notch.

All of the above makes up for the fact that the toilets are situated outside.

Brgds,
Allied
Old Apr 23, 2009, 10:23 am

Programs: BA Gold
Tegel lounge

I agree with what's been said. I was out of TXL on Easter day and the lady in the lounge was just excellent - friendly, very very helpful and just made my stay so enjoyable. The food was a good selection of sandwiches, and fairly good wine. I love going through this lounge. Shall be interesting to see if they move over to the new BBI when it opens.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 4:21 pm

Programs: BAEC, HH, Avis, Hertz
Was there this evening. Nice sandwiches, well stocked bar (didn't use it, driving at the other end) but did have a Schweppes bitter lemon from a great big 1.5l bottle rather than one of those stupid little cans.

Quite full, but enough spare seats, very pleasant, overlooks runway, landside but they call you from the lounge so no problem, security a v small area.

The people I was visiting said that tegel will be closing in the not-too-distant future as it is too close to City centre to expand. Don't know how true that is.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 6:55 pm

Programs: QF Platinum
Indeed the Berlin Terraces staff is very friendly and the lounge itself nice and well stocked, just without toilets.
TXL should close when Berlin Brandenburg International (proposed IATA code BER) opens. The opening is currently planned for 30 Ocotber 2011, the site of BER is basically where currently SXF is located, but it will be a completly new airport. Hopefully and most likely BA will have a new lounge in BER.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (1.7MM); BD *G; HH Diamond
Too bad I'm on the first flight out... sounds like it'd be a very pleasant place to wait a few hours.

Bitter Lemon. Wonder if I could steal some of those huge bottles. I've NEVER found the stuff in the States.

(Yes, I'm kidding. Sort of. I couldn't get home with if if I took some. Liquids restrictions... )
Old Apr 24, 2009, 3:59 am

Programs: BAEC, HH, Avis, Hertz
For toilets, visit the Starbucks opposite. There is also a smoking room. No-one in it, but ashtrays provided. Didn't realise that was still possible. There is also (at the other end of the lounge, a 'VIP room'.

Lots of passengers, flying to all sorts of places. At first I thought it was a BA only lounge (called the Terraces, and looks like a v small version of what BHX used to be like) and I thought that club must go back 25 rows . But actually on our A321 there were 5 rows of club, about 80% full.
Old Apr 25, 2009, 8:31 pm

Had to ask this question to satisfy my curiosity. If check-in at TXL is at the gate, how do you get through security without a boarding pass ?

Thanks.

And thanks for all the other useful info in this thread.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 1:28 am

Programs: QF Platinum
The setup at TXL is relativ unique (at least I only know it at TXL). There is no general airside area, but instead you check-in at your gate and each gate has its own security control and a separated small gate/boarding area after security.

The reason for this setup is probably in the history of TXL: the main terminal was opened 1974, when TXL was just the airport to serve the small island of West-Berlin in the cold war and the passenger numbers were much smaller than today. Also note that this unique setup is only in the main terminal, not in the newer side terminals that were build to help TXL handle the enormous increase in passenger numbers. All oneworld flights operate at the main terminal and overall TXL is a relativly small, but very passenger friendly airport.

Just as a sidenotice: there are many airports where you can go airside without a boarding pass. For example all domestic Australian terminals do NOT require you to have a boarding pass. The check-in is before security, but guests can bring you to the gate without any problem, just everybody needs to go through security. Going through domestic Australian security is painfree, as there are no limits on liquids and no shoe checks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.