Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR - MRU Route: Operated by B777 as from June 2009

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2009, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Does anyone know why as from June 2009, this route is operated by a B 777, and no FIRST class can be booked ? Only CW will be available .. Tried several dates, June/July/Aug same story!
Old Apr 19, 2009, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Tried to do a google search, and BA confirms what i was mentioning above. Due to economic crisis, fewer people flying to MRU etc... But still i dont see the point of cancelling FIRST on this route. I supposed all B 777 have a FIRST cabin don't they ? Who will occupy those seats ? CSD ?
Old Apr 19, 2009, 5:05 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

BA operates six 3 class (J/W/M) Boeing 777s out of LHR with four addition new aircraft (also 3 class) joining the subfleet over the course of this summer. The MRU route will probably utilise one of these types.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 3:19 am

i for one am not happy with this no F policy on MRU going forward...i have NEVER seen an empty seat on that route in F!
Old Apr 20, 2009, 3:25 am
Original Poster

Me too im not happy with that! Did not see any empty seat in F on this route as well. hopefully after the credit crunch, the 747 willl be reinstated on this route, together with FIRST service
Old Apr 20, 2009, 3:36 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by Abstract1
i for one am not happy with this no F policy on MRU going forward...i have NEVER seen an empty seat on that route in F!
But how many of those F PAX are paying full whack and how many are redemptions?

A F cabin full of redemptions is not going to cover the costs of the in-flight service!
Old Apr 20, 2009, 3:40 am
Original Poster

Well, i also thought the same thing, but at least if BA did not want to give redeemptions on this route, they could just block awards for this, instead of cancelling FIRST, and pax paying FIRST fare. This is a 12 hour long flight, and lots of people (premium pax) come to Mauritius for honeymoons and fly FIRST / CW !
Old Apr 20, 2009, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by OPebble
But how many of those F PAX are paying full whack and how many are redemptions?

A F cabin full of redemptions is not going to cover the costs of the in-flight service!
Have you ever tried redeeming on MRU!!?
Old Apr 20, 2009, 3:47 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Yes I got 3 seats in F last year until LHR Tim pointed out that the weather would be worse there than at home at that time of the year.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 3:58 am

Have to admit to being pretty gutted about this - due more to the aircraft change rather than the lack of FIRST though.

I'm one of the many people flying out in C/W for a honeymoon in September. The day after I booked the entire package through BA Holidays, they changed the aircraft, and along with it, almost all hope of NGCW! This was back in December last year BTW.

I actually spoke to BA about this last week whilst callling to discuss another matter. The guy on the phone was very understanding and even went as far as to look at their 'business on the books' for the time we are travelling - unsurprisingly he advised that the aircraft is filling up fast and if demand continues to increase then they may change some flights back to the 747. Or maybe he was just trying to placate me!

Either way, I live in hope from now until September! That the 3 class 777's are upgraded at the very least!
Old Apr 20, 2009, 4:55 am

Programs: Aegean Airlines Silver, British Airways Gold, Virgin Atlantic Silver
I've had 2 F seats x 2 returns both in the month of October (booked 330 days out though)
Old Apr 20, 2009, 5:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by gallagher
I've had 2 F seats x 2 returns both in the month of October (booked 330 days out though)
I dont know why you are smiling - suggest you check you MMB immediately. I think you have been downgraded to CW. Par the course for BA not to pre-notify early.

I suspect MRU traffic is like MCO traffic; mainly leisure pax. Mostly miles redemption or paid MFU from CW to F with hardly anyone willing to pax for F these days. MCO is also a 3-class 777 out of LGW. I suspect that might be the next change that is possibly pending. The plane might do MCO-LHR-MRU-LHR-MCO. Gives about a 5/6 hour turnaround one way in LGW and an overnight stop in LGW on the way back for the engines to be serviced.

Also think that given no more 747-400 are coming on-line, the 747s are being deployed to where the business demand is. Question is where the 747 are going to be re-deployed to. They cant be retiring the 747 already? They may be replacing the 777 or 767 between LHR-JFK or possibly even replacing the 777 on the LHR-SIN route which would make more commercial sense.

Last edited by KenJohn; Apr 20, 2009 at 5:25 am
Old Apr 20, 2009, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
They have also long restricted (i.e., tightly controlled and limited, not eliminated) A class availability to and from MRU.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by gallagher
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news as well Gallagher - but KenJohn is right. Try a dummy booking in F as far out as you can on ba.com and you'll be notified every time that it's unavailable.

I am wondering if there's any chance of the route actually being moved to LGW?? Or has anyone got any examples of an aircraft change being made this far out, for such a long period of time, only to see it changed back again to the original type?
Old Apr 20, 2009, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by Kizcom
SorOr has anyone got any examples of an aircraft change being made this far out, for such a long period of time, only to see it changed back again to the original type?
Plenty. The timetables beyond October are, at this stage, nothing but broad ideas about the likely services. The real work on the Winter timetable will be going on at the moment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.