Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

All WT seats abolished LHR-HKG: has ba.com got completely mad?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

All WT seats abolished LHR-HKG: has ba.com got completely mad?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2009, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
All WT seats abolished LHR-HKG: has ba.com gone completely mad?

So using ba.com for a return LHR-CGK (Jakarta) in WT (a birthday present for my nephew), leaving around early August, coming back around late August, what does it throw up?
A return fare of £2100 whatever day one travels with the message on the LHR-HKG leg in both directions of
Your requested class is not operated on the above flight. The most appropriate alternative has been displayed.
So BA has abolished Economy on the HKG route? Interesting.

If I then actually specify I want WTP, it throws up the same flights, with WTP LHR-HKG and Economy in Cathay on HKG-CGK, but for a total fare of £2950. It seems that in this case I get a W fare, whereas when I asked for Economy I got a T fare.

I've tried with different web browsers, and with a range of different travel months, and all give the same issue. Any clue why ba.com is so rubbish here?
Or have they really introduced 150J aircraft on the HKG route? Maybe it is to keep the WTP pax well away from the Club Kitchen.

Last edited by LeisureFirst; Apr 6, 2009 at 2:30 pm
Old Apr 6, 2009, 2:26 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by LeisureFirst
So using ba.com for a return LHR-CGK (Jakarta) in WT (a birthday present for my nephew), leaving around early August, coming back around late August, what does it throw up?
A return fare of £2100 whatever day one travels with the message on the LHR-HKG leg in both directions of

So BA has abolished Economy on the HKG route? Interesting.

If I then actually specify I want WTP, it throws up the same flights, with WTP LHR-HKG and Economy in Cathay on HKG-CGK, but for a total fare of £2950. It seems that in this case I get a W fare, whereas when I asked for Economy I got a T fare.

I've tried with different web browsers, and with a range of different travel months, and all give the same issue. Any clue why ba.com is so rubbish here?
Or have they really introduced 150J aircraft on the HKG route? Maybe it is to keep the WTP pax well away from the Club Kitchen.
I've also seen this problem where there is DEFINITELY availability in the requested class. Most recently, I wanted to book and MFU a ticket, and it gave me CW for one leg and WT+ for another, even though WT+ was available for the CW leg. And it wasn't giving me CW because it was cheaper, as I found out when I called reservations.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 2:30 pm

If you ask for WT (lowest) when booking on ba.com and WTP is cheaper, then ba.com will automatically offer you the WTP seat.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xxxxx
If you ask for WT (lowest) when booking on ba.com and WTP is cheaper, then ba.com will automatically offer you the WTP seat.
What you say is true, and I'd already thought of that, but clearly not applicable to this case. Aside from the unlikelihood of WTP being cheaper than WT on every single day throughout the summer:

why when I ask for WTP does it give an even more expensive seat in the same cabin? This point alone proves it is a bug and not a feature.

And why, if I just book to HKG, does WT come out cheaper (barely half the price of WTP)?

Also, even if it were giving cheapest seat, it wouldn't be true that the "requested class is not operated on the above flight". Again, clearly a f***-up.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 2:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

As you probably know the problem isn't with the LHR-HKG sector it's the HKG-CGK sector. Booked separately outwith ba.com it comes in at around £850 in Y for some reason.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

By the way, I'm aware it could be some weird fare rule about what fares can be combined with the Cathay fare between HKG and CGK. (I doubt that is the explanation but I'm definitely not expert enough to be sure). But even then, if they can cobble together a T fare with a B fare when I ask for "Economy", there is no earthly explanation for why they then cobble a W fare with a Y fare when I ask for "Premium Economy". Clearly something is wrong with the latter, which rather supports my view that something was probably wrong with the former as well.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 3:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LeisureFirst
By the way, I'm aware it could be some weird fare rule about what fares can be combined with the Cathay fare between HKG and CGK. (I doubt that is the explanation but I'm definitely not expert enough to be sure). But even then, if they can cobble together a T fare with a B fare when I ask for "Economy", there is no earthly explanation for why they then cobble a W fare with a Y fare when I ask for "Premium Economy". Clearly something is wrong with the latter, which rather supports my view that something was probably wrong with the former as well.
If you had lived in the regions you would understand.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 5:21 pm
Company Representative - British Airways

LeisureFirst, I'll take a look at this tomorrow as this doesn't seem right.

Kind regards,

Dilly
Old Apr 6, 2009, 6:50 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Buy a ticket LHR-SIN and a separate cheap ticket SIN-CGK......
Unless you want the stopover in HKG

If you are worried about SE Asia airline maintenance practices, there are a number of European or Australian airline flights on the route

Fred
Old Apr 6, 2009, 10:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold; HH Gold; M&M; PS Classic; VV Silver (deceased); BD Silver (deceased).
Originally Posted by wandering_fred
Buy a ticket LHR-SIN and a separate cheap ticket SIN-CGK...... Unless you want the stopover in HKG If you are worried about SE Asia airline maintenance practices, there are a number of European or Australian airline flights on the route Fred
Or book with CX for circa 690GBP return.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 4:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by heartybob
Or book with CX for circa 690GBP return.
Advice is much appreciated - considering all options at the moment.

But it would still be good to have the BA booking engine working properly. What I may do, especially if there is a WTP sale in the next month or so, is try to buy him a WTP return and treat him to an upgrade to CW (with my miles) on the return leg. This would have to be done over the phone if it involves CX legs too on the same ticket, but I'll need ba.com working to figure out prices before I make the phone call.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 4:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wandering_fred
Buy a ticket LHR-SIN and a separate cheap ticket SIN-CGK......
Unless you want the stopover in HKG
If it were me, I think I would rather have a stopover in HKG. But it's for my nephew, who I am sure would be delighted with either.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 8:42 am

Programs: Virgin Silver, BA Blue, HHonors, Priority Club
I'd just like to comment that I hope Leisure First's nephew appreciates what a kind and generous uncle he has! The most I ever got from any of my uncles was a £10 WHSmith book voucher...
Old Apr 7, 2009, 9:01 am

Programs: Finnair Platinum; Intercontinental Ambassador
Originally Posted by voracious violinist
The most I ever got from any of my uncles was a £10 WHSmith book voucher...
Lucky!! The most I got from mine was a math lesson when I was about to fail maths in highschool .. and a shot of vodka at graduation.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by voracious violinist
I'd just like to comment that I hope Leisure First's nephew appreciates what a kind and generous uncle he has!
Well, I don't have children of my own so it's only him and godson to take care of. The godson's parents are a lot better off than the nephew's; and the other godfather is an MP so I bet he gets a ton of stuff on House of Commons expenses and doesn't need too much from me .

By the way, I did mention to him that I would try to find a cheap way to get him in Club, but I wasn't promising anything. His reaction was "Wow! Does that mean I can use the lounge with the free sandwiches?" The idea of free sandwiches seems to be more of a draw than a flat bed. I offered to make him some "free" sandwiches, but he said that wasn't the same somehow.

Last edited by LeisureFirst; Apr 7, 2009 at 9:38 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.