do you ever complain about a stewardess?

Old Apr 2, 2009, 7:16 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Amex Platinum
do you ever complain about a stewardess?

Two weeks ago, I flew Club World from London to Boston. Everything seemed to start off well - massage at the spa, boarding from an actual gate (as opposed to the bus), and new CW cabin - finally, on this route (morning flight on a 777).

Then, the whole experience was ruined by the CW flight attendee who was so unfriendly, never smiled, was abrupt in his manners and would just drop the food tray on the table, kept on interrupting movie to ask useless questions, etc... sure, nothing dramatic, and I know they are here for my safety, but still - doesnt BA train these people, or at least choose the best for CW (well, the second best I guess).

It really ruined a flight that I was looking forward to, and when I got home I was very tempted to go online and simply complain about this attendee. What have other people done in similar cases? Why do BA attendees never seem to smile or be in a good mood?
Old Apr 2, 2009, 7:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Greycomputer
Why do BA attendees never seem to smile or be in a good mood?
Eh? What's a attendee?Never heard them being called that before.

You obviously haven't flown Iberia...Alitalia...AF....They all have a much bigger percentage of dour miserable so and so's than BA has.
I would say BA has some of the most friendliest and charming cabin crew in the business.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 8:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AX Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Star Alliance Gold
Of the airlines I choose to fly, BA has the best crew by far. Still, there's an off day for everyone and not everyone is as cheery as the next. Think about it for a day and if it still bothers you, lodge the complaint. At best, that cabin crew gets some training and at worst, there is someone else better qualified to fill that role down the line. Truth be told, it probably amounts to someone pointing out the deficiency in their performance and its as simple as that. And appropriate.

Emirates crew is friendly, tries hard, but disappoints.

US is saddled with crew who want to please, but the airline prevents them from shining.

AA has miserable, mean, witchy staff who will put you in your place or make a rude comment whenever they can. Sorry to the good crew at AA, but way too many BAD experiences to get a good vote from me. I should have reported my last flight on them, but it was a holiday.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 11:35 pm

Programs: BA Exec
Greycomputer, you should not have had to deal with that sort of attitude.

The fact is that although the majority of BA crew enjoy going to work and interacting with their customers, the airline does have its fair share of miserable and rather useless crew that should have left many years ago; unfortunately, due to relatively good salaries, pensions and lack of any other skills, they're stuck within the BA crew community, and have become rather bitter as a result. Mind you, this attitude seems to affect young and old....

Hopefully with the upcoming internal changes, the dead wood and/or bitter individuals that make the rest of us look bad will be booted out once and for all.

Currently, any BA crewmember can work in a Club cabin; this is due to change over the next few years.

Sorry about that, I cringe when I read those stories....
Old Apr 3, 2009, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
My rule of thumb is: only complain when you also compliment.

If you have never ever send a mail to BA complimenting a certain crew member on examplary service then you should also forgive them if they have a bad day.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've complained about ground staff on several occasions (as well as complimenting grace under fire on 27th March last year); but my only contact with BA about cabin crew has been positive.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 1:39 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
I think the OP may not have had their glasses on! Look at the title and the gender in the body of the post!

Don't know about you lot but I am confused!
Old Apr 3, 2009, 2:02 am

Programs: MUCCI - Order of the Diamond Hairbrush and Champion of Queens,BA Broon,HH Diamond,PC Plat,BA Amex
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Eh? What's a attendee?Never heard them being called that before.

I would say BA has some of the most friendliest and charming cabin crew in the business.
Er, most friendliest ??? I thought that you used to be in education. Tut tut
Old Apr 3, 2009, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by Bar Operator
The fact is that although the majority of BA crew enjoy going to work and interacting with their customers, the airline does have its fair share of miserable and rather useless crew that should have left many years ago; unfortunately, due to relatively good salaries, pensions and lack of any other skills, they're stuck within the BA crew community, and have become rather bitter as a result. Mind you, this attitude seems to affect young and old....

Hopefully with the upcoming internal changes, the dead wood and/or bitter individuals that make the rest of us look bad will be booted out once and for all
Bravo. (But stand back and expect to be flamed for such heresies on here!)
Old Apr 3, 2009, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I am very sorry to hear that the attitude of you crew member wasn’t up to the standard that you and BA quite rightly expect. If this should happen again and I sincerely hope it does not, I would suggest you speak to the purser in charge of that cabin or the CSD if the complaint is about a purser.
As your complaint is about your perceived poor attitude and not able in service failure I see no point in complaining to BA.
CIHY
Old Apr 3, 2009, 3:27 am

Programs: Tesco Blue, Library Card
Originally Posted by Can I help you
As your complaint is about your perceived poor attitude and not able in service failure I see no point in complaining to BA.
CIHY
I'm not sure I agree, BA's crew are generally amongst the best I've experienced and so I'm sure they'd want to know.

Of course we all have off-days and I'm sure if this was a one-off then BA would take that into account. If this is one of many then I'm sure BA would take action to protect their image.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
To be honest I would just shrug it off.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 3:30 am

Location: 15 minutes west of LHR, Stockholm, or somewhere inbetween.
Programs: BAEC Gold GGL, CCR, GfL, Mucci des Recherches des Consommations Exotiques.
Originally Posted by Greycomputer
Why do BA attendees never seem to smile or be in a good mood?
While I have on occasion come across BA cabin staff that haven't been the best of the bunch, I've found them to be the exception rather than the rule.

I fly 2 - 4 rtn flights with BA a month and generally my impression of BA staff is very good.

How often do you fly with BA?

bjorns
Old Apr 3, 2009, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
My point is that there is very little BA can do now even if the crewmember can be identified.
As a manager onboard I would have been able to monitor and give verbal and written feedback to the crewmember, this would normally be done after the flight based on my observations and the customers comments.
CIHY
Old Apr 3, 2009, 4:01 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
The post seems to be premised on the assumption that the flight is all about a pleasurable experience.

Starting point is that I am delighted that on most long-haul flights BA get me there safely and (broadly) on time.

Next point is that I want the flight to be as pleasant as possible. That is principally about being in the best cabin I can afford / persuade someone to pay for, for the given flight.

Third point is that I want a seat and peripherals that function correctly, the loos to be clean and I expect on long-haul to get my 1st choice of food (supposedly a Gold perk but rarely recognised as such).

Frankly, whilst there is little excuse for warm champagne, unsmiling faces and general lack of charm, I rate these so low down the pecking order that I really barely notice them. Just because one is in J, this does not guarantee a smiling face, any more than shopping in Harrods or dining at the Ritz. As to the latter, I don't remember ever getting a smile !

Many FT'ers, esp newbies, want the whole experience to be 'fun'. That really is not what you are paying for though. Its great when it is and the cabin crew can certainly make it happen, but I hardly think it a cause for complaint when it is not. Now if the 'atendee' had been rude to you, that would be a quite different matter.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.