Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Newbie question about intra European service in Y

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2009, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, MR LT PPE, Arise Mucci des Hommes de Fer

Hello,

My wife and I are going to Venice via LHR in April. As a OW emerald, I know we will have access to the Galleries First lounge at T5. This will be our first time flying BA in Y. Is there a meal service, and do you pay for alcohol in Y.

Thank you in advance for a simple question.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Food and beverages (including alcohol) are complimentary in all classes, although selection is limited in Euro Traveller. The exact meal service depends on the time of day, but rest assured you are fed (albeit in meagre portions!)
Old Mar 26, 2009, 4:27 pm

meal service in Y is usually sandwiches and a chocolate biscuit. Sandwiches are a bit variable in quality (ham's OK, tuna is grim). So yes, there is a meal service, but I'd recommend eating in the Flounge if you have the time/ want something more than a biscuit.

Returning, it's unlikely that Venice will have full lounge service (never been), so you can attempt the sandwiches as an extra experience

Drinks service will be soft drinks, tea/coffee, limited selection of alcoholic drinks. No charges. On a short trip like this, you'll probably have only one drinks round, but it's fine to ask for 2 drinks to keep you settled in

Enjoy the trip!
Old Mar 26, 2009, 4:29 pm

think 'sandwich' not 'meal' and you won't be disappointed..... And don't think 'bubbles' at all...
Old Mar 27, 2009, 2:02 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by heckenhocker
Drinks service will be soft drinks, tea/coffee, limited selection of alcoholic drinks.
I thought that alcoholic drinks were the same (the only difference being that tehre is no champagne in ET)? I am sure that wine selection is the same in CE and ET.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 2:08 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by Andriyko
I thought that alcoholic drinks were the same (the only difference being that tehre is no champagne in ET)? I am sure that wine selection is the same in CE and ET.
You are right. The lack of champagne south of the curtain is the only difference between CE and ET drinks. On several occasions I have seen the CE drinks trolley wheeled south of the curtain on a busy flight!
Old Mar 27, 2009, 3:07 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by OPebble
You are right. The lack of champagne south of the curtain is the only difference between CE and ET drinks. On several occasions I have seen the CE drinks trolley wheeled south of the curtain on a busy flight!

It is my understanding that there is a restricted bar service in the back (I would not know from personal experience ) - wines and beers and I thinkthat you can get a gin and tonic. It is possible that more is on offer but no - this is not the USA you do not have to pay anything and you will get a sandwich.

The CE bar often goes behind the curtain - they take it back up to the Club Galley and stock up on plastic glasses and make sure that there are no sharp objects save the Purser's tongue to hurt anyone ().

No doubt before the day is done our very own Short Haul Shiner - Bing Bong Bar Room Boy will give you chapter and verse as to which cocktails you might enjoy. He can serve them but I understand that Tescos will not longer allow him to buy any as he looks under 25. As American put it so succinctly - Go Figure.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 5:01 am

Programs: Lots of different coloured cards
The standard offerings in the ET bar are 2 reds/2 whites, whiskey (Glenlivet, JW), vodka, brandy, bacardi and gin.

Dont be shy to ask for more than one drink. I personally like to dish them out like they are going out of fashion!

The CE bar is indeed wheeled through the curtain if CE is fairly quiet and ET a bit busier. The main differences between the CE and ET bars is ofcourse champagne, and also liquors etc ( baileys, campari, vermouth, sherry, cointreau...I might have forgotten one or two..! ) which arent available in ET. Also another difference is eg. JW Red Label in ET, but Black Label in CE and Smirnoff Red Label in ET opposed to Blue Label in CE...

Foodwise, cold breakfast brioche I think going to VCE.. I recall it being before 10am, and sandwich coming back with a delightful Breakaway bar ( now only 99kcal!)
Old Mar 27, 2009, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, MR LT PPE, Arise Mucci des Hommes de Fer
Thank you, everyone for your help.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 7:49 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Jetboy
The standard offerings in the ET bar are 2 reds/2 whites, whiskey (Glenlivet, JW), vodka, brandy, bacardi and gin.

Dont be shy to ask for more than one drink. I personally like to dish them out like they are going out of fashion!

The CE bar is indeed wheeled through the curtain if CE is fairly quiet and ET a bit busier. The main differences between the CE and ET bars is ofcourse champagne, and also liquors etc ( baileys, campari, vermouth, sherry, cointreau...I might have forgotten one or two..! ) which arent available in ET. Also another difference is eg. JW Red Label in ET, but Black Label in CE and Smirnoff Red Label in ET opposed to Blue Label in CE...

.... don't forget Jack Daniels - available in CE but not (as I found to my cost) in ET.... made for a very uncomfortable MXP - LHR trip as I was gagging for a nice JD & Coke to help to blur the memory of that day in Milan...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.