Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would you refuse an upgrade to F?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2009, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Same for me. 4E is probably the worst seat in the 747 F cabin and there would be lots of light during dinner service, a moderate amount of noise and a high probability of being knocked by someone walking past. 64K would be much preferable.
64K is next to the loo and gets quite a bit of activity from the galley.

Take a look at this photo of the F cabin and you'll see plenty of space for people to walk past 4E.

Besides, the comfy pajamas and bedding make the F seat much better for sleeping IMO.

Again, it's all about personal preference, but F is F is F.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 3:01 pm

Programs: BA Blue, BMI Blue+
I'd have to ask if a MR M WINNER was in F before accepting
Old Mar 13, 2009, 3:27 pm

Programs: BA GGL, VS Gold, BD Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by macabus
I am a firm believer in "to each his own," but I think the vast majority would never turn down an upgrade to F - even a middle seat.
Totally agree, I would never turn it down.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

64K is next to the loo and gets quite a bit of activity from the galley.

Take a look at this photo of the F cabin and you'll see plenty of space for people to walk past 4E.

Besides, the comfy pajamas and bedding make the F seat much better for sleeping IMO.

Again, it's all about personal preference, but F is F is F.
I know both seats pretty well. I've been knocked in 4E on several occasions and the light levels when dinner is being served make sleep tough (I can't stand using eyeshades which doesn't help). 4E feels very public compared to a Club window seat. PJ's don't bother me, but the extra bedding makes the F seat more comfy. But it is hardly a massive improvement64K is near the loo but has surprisingly little noise from the lav or the galley.

As I say, it it was a 7 hour sector from JFK where I needed to sleep I would turn 4E down. I took in on a 13hour sector back from HKG and regretted some of it - the light and aforementioned barging - but not a decent glass of red before sleeping. Each to their own.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
If I were traveling as a commercial passenger and at the gate was offered an Upgrade to Club or First, I would say yes please, and be very thankful for it.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 5:17 pm

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
If I were traveling as a commercial passenger and at the gate was offered an Upgrade to Club or First, I would say yes please, and be very thankful for it.
Well, it's difficult. Íf you have a 62A/K and is offered a 4E/F. And this is a night flight. 62A/K or 64A/K are technically more private beds.

But yes, despite this I wouldn't refuse an F upgrade. F is F. The select few that enjoys the highest standard of service and food. However I can understand the doubt.

BA's CW is very very good. And a few seats in CW are close to F in privacy.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by Lobengula
Well, it's difficult. Íf you have a 62A/K and is offered a 4E/F. And this is a night flight. 62A/K or 64A/K are technically more private beds.

But yes, despite this I wouldn't refuse an F upgrade. F is F. The select few that enjoys the highest standard of service and food. However I can understand the doubt.

BA's CW is very very good. And a few seats in CW are close to F in privacy.
Well... On my personal travel that I have done before working for BA, I have never sat anywhere else than economy.

On my first trip using my concessions, I was kept Land Side till -50, was not allowed to use Fast Track... Had to run... and trust me peeps, I don't run... Arrived at the gate hot and sweaty, like a big red puffy thing... Then was sat in a Premium Cabin, as there was no other seats left by the time they Op Up'd the rest of the passengers at the gate. I looked a rite sight boarding... Not the best entrance to a nice seat!
Old Mar 13, 2009, 6:16 pm
Gaz

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, UA Gold
If you have travelled in F enough times that there's absolutely zilch novelty in it, and you want to sleep and nothing else, turning an F middle for a prime UD sleeper seat is pretty reasonable I'd think.

For me (and probably most others), F is still enough of a novelty that we'll take it whatever. And as I'm always connecting to MAN too, F on a return gets me CCR/GF access whilst I'm waiting at LHR.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

With all due respect to the OP, I think this is a ridiculous question.
I am a firm believer in "to each his own," but I think the vast majority would never turn down an upgrade to F - even a middle seat.
Great. My own is 64K. So with all due respect, ridiculous contradictory comments.

I dont buy the 'F is F' argument. How does this add anything to the debate in the comparison of the product between CW and F??
Old Mar 13, 2009, 8:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JPS76
Great. My own is 64K. So with all due respect, ridiculous contradictory comments.

I dont buy the 'F is F' argument. How does this add anything to the debate in the comparison of the product between CW and F??
The difference between the two products is not so large as it is with most of the other carriers. As has been posted, a lot depends on the time of flight,the seat you are being given and the seat you have already got.
If you are offered the upgrade at check-in at LHR the entitlement of accessing the Concorde Room might tempt some. I would say the infrequent flyer would love the chance but the chances are slim of them being offered it in the first place whereas the frequent traveller who has sampled F a lot and has got into a routine when flying in CW would think twice especially if it was in one of the middle seats.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 8:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold, US Airways Silver, SAA Blue, Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Marriott Silver
Nope, even if I were given 4E/F
Old Mar 13, 2009, 9:44 pm

[QUOTE=Teece;11407860]Enjoy 64K later in the month... [/QUOTE

The absolutely BEST seat on the plane! So much room, so much attention! I now have flown FIRST and CW and I must say the value for money goes w/CW. I was in heaven!
Old Mar 13, 2009, 9:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Gold, QR Silver, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tony2x
and the person in front of me got the bong
"got the bong" I love that LMAO,

Shisha in F, I would upgrade for that.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 10:16 pm
fomerly CoachBoy

Programs: United Premier Platinum, British Airways Silver
Hey, I don't have my name for no reason. In a 14 month space of time I went from never flying anything but economy, to WT+, to WT+ with MFU, to an op up to F from an MFU. CW is still has a wow factor for me.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 1:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Gold, QR Silver, HH Diamond
This thread made me think about my first ever time in Business Class (an AF 732 as it happens with virtually no product differentiation) - and that special warm, fuzzy feeling of contentment which I guess is mainly self-created. For sure, that feeling goes eventually, and once it's vanished then the true nature of the product is revealed.

I do a lot of flying on Qatar and whilst I really enjoy the experience I don't get that feeling any longer. (Apart perhaps from when they bring the food ^). Now the other day I got an op-up into F. Interesting, the F product was plain in the extreme, crude, and service poor. No matter, I just wanted to sleep, and so discovered that QR F is 20% more sleepable than QR J which is worth knowing but certainly not worth paying much for.

I never got into BA F yet, but in my heart it has a kind of allure that means I am bound to feel great and enjoy it. Gosh, all those flights peering down the long aisle to the front, wondering what it's like. I recognise this feeling may last for just one trip. So, CW to F - I would go for it.

But, the really funny thing is, that every time I'm in NGCW I still get that warm fuzzy feeling just like the first time. It is a special product, I don't know why, but it works and it works every time. I just get an Ahhh moment every time I sink in to that seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.