Apparent lounge cutbacks at LHR T5

Old Mar 8, 09, 12:30 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
What's a consort? Or did you mean corset?
A consort is someone who is the husband or wife of Royalty. As you know perfectly well. You are Mrs HIDDY's consort.

What's a corset?
Old Mar 8, 09, 2:05 pm

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by OPebble View Post
Which Terminal and which lounge? I was in Sala Velasquez on Thursday and it was pretty near spotless with two picker uppers patrolling. Usual supply of nibblies and overall no change to normal!
I was in both Velasquez and Dali. In Velasquez the food offering was poor compared to what I remember - no rolls were put out (and I was there for a good few hours), nor pastries etc. Fewer nibbles as well. Also to me, the floor looked to be in need of a good mop, and a wipe of the chairs and cleaning of the windows (dirt on both sides).

Previously it was *always* spotless in my opinion, I really can't believe this was just a regular grime buildup between deeper clean days, maybe they have dropped the frequency of the cleaning?

Dali: This is the one I have least experience of, but again, it wasn't being re stocked in the manner I'd previously experienced. Rolls did appear at one point, but the tray was left sitting in its outer wrapping, and once empty the tray was left sitting out for a good couple of hours empty.

In both I agree they were still picking things up, but the restocking had plummeted (perviously I witnessed food restocking 30mins minimum at Velaquez, and constant shelf tidying - bringing items to the front and making them neat).

The main bit that got me though - apart from a clear reduction of items - was just the level of wiping and cleaning which Velaquez was in need of.

Maybe I was just lucky before and that does build up every couple of days, but I'd doubt it. Didn't get to Goya, but if the pastries have gone from there goodness knows what is left as they were the mainstay of it's offering!
Old Mar 8, 09, 2:24 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel

Having visited the T5 Flounge this afternoon, I can now fully understand LeisureFirst's experience as he noted in the opening post. I've never seen the place quite as busy as it was today. I swear I had walked into a locust's feeding frenzy. The newspaper shelves had been striped of their English titles bar a couple of unwanted copies of the MoS. The fresh stocks of magazines had gone AWOL, no doubt scattered across the five continents by the time I arrived.

As is usual for airline lounges, the peaks pass quickly and after 15 minutes normality was restored with emptied tables strewn with discarded papers - not just one or two but mountains of them. Rich pickings for scavengers like me

As an aside, very sad to see the poor condition of the loos. Not even a year old, they are in a dismal state of repair with panels hanging of walls, ironmongery missing from doors etc etc. My view, if there is any sign of cutbacks, they occurred during the design stages. Penny wise, pound foolish, I'd be most surprised if they weren't completely stripped out and reconstructed in the next six months.

Last edited by Prospero; Mar 8, 09 at 3:00 pm Reason: confusing my AWOLs with AWALs
Old Mar 15, 09, 2:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold GL
First Lounge 14 March 7.40pm

While I fly nothing else and really do like BA. I do wonder what BA are on sometimes and why they can't get the consistency right on the ground in their own lounge at T5

Sat here waiting for the flight to GRU. Thought I would grab something very quick to eat.

Walk down to the food area. Pass empty plates of sandwiches with a couple of sandwiches left on them - look dry. Why have they not been refilled?

Get down to the hot area. Most of the salad dishes are empty - the "variety of dips and crudites" - non existent. Ask member of staff...shrug of the shoulders and "this is all we have".

Walk past the long tables back to the seating area - notice that empty plates have not been collected, the shelves where the glasses are meant to be are half empty.

Frankly - it's just all a bit dire and does nothing to enhance the image.
Old Mar 15, 09, 3:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
why dont you send a little note to BA customer relations when you get the chance. Im sure that you are the sort of customer that BA will be eager to keep happy!
Old Mar 15, 09, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Oh dear!

Not very good for one of the flagship lounges at BA's home base.

Regards

TBS
Old Mar 15, 09, 3:20 pm

Hardly surprising...

It's so typical of things in the UK: vast amounts of money are spent on ground-breaking facilities, stunning buildings etc and then it all falls down on levels of staffing, service, efficiency and cleanliness. Depressingly, one has seen it so often. Only people to blame are the managers IMO.
Old Mar 15, 09, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot View Post
Hi,

Oh dear!

Not very good for one of the flagship lounges at BA's home base.

Regards

TBS
Bit of an understatement TBS...

Absolute disgrace... Especially the reply from the Lounge staff!
If someone came into the galley asking for something I did not have,
I would apologize and see if I could offer them something else.

I am going to have a look at the Lounges this week, so I can better understand the ground experience and what passengers can expect when
they ask me about them, and sincerely hope this is not what I see.
I will be vastly disappointed...

Yours,

Disappointed in Regents Park.
Old Mar 16, 09, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
Originally Posted by KECKIMAUSDRUCK View Post
It's so typical of things in the UK: vast amounts of money are spent on ground-breaking facilities, stunning buildings etc and then it all falls down on levels of staffing, service, efficiency and cleanliness. Depressingly, one has seen it so often. Only people to blame are the managers IMO.
It's the usual story ... total disconnect between capital costs and the variable operation costs. It is obviously stupid to spend the reported £60m kitting out lounge facilities and they try to save £100 a day by cutting back on staffing, but that is how things go when your only focus is the cost base.
Old Mar 16, 09, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
As an aside, very sad to see the poor condition of the loos. Not even a year old, they are in a dismal state of repair with panels hanging of walls, ironmongery missing from doors etc etc. My view, if there is any sign of cutbacks, they occurred during the design stages. Penny wise, pound foolish, I'd be most surprised if they weren't completely stripped out and reconstructed in the next six months.
I have to say I checked this today. There is one door with a damaged lock which house keeping tell me was caused by a customer last week and a new lock is on order. I could not find any wall panels hanging off, so if it was it looks like it has been fixed already.
Old Mar 17, 09, 3:09 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel

Thanks for checking. My observations related to one of the gents washrooms located east of the servery area. The far right washroom had an out of order notice on the door, the one I visited was to its immediate left. Glad to hear it is in the process of repair.
Old Mar 17, 09, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by RJLondonGold View Post
Walk past the long tables back to the seating area - notice that empty plates have not been collected, the shelves where the glasses are meant to be are half empty.
To be honest, the clearing of plates etc has been pretty poor from day 1. It's common for empty plates on abandoned tables to sit there for more than half an hour before being cleared.

Still, it's probably better than some of my experiences in the old T1 FLounge - arriving 2hrs before a flight to sit surrounded by piles of other people's plates on side tables which were still there when I left - despite 2 separate conversations with the front desk about it.
Old Mar 17, 09, 12:20 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Someone at BA must have been reading this thread. There are ladies walking around with trays offering canapes - and they're pretty nice. (Flounge) I haven't come across this before even though I'm often here at around this time of the afternoon.
Old Mar 17, 09, 12:23 pm

Programs: BA GGL, VS Gold, BD Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia View Post
Someone at BA must have been reading this thread. There are ladies walking around with trays offering canapes - and they're pretty nice. (Flounge) I haven't come across this before even though I'm often here at around this time of the afternoon.
They have done that around 17:00 every time I have been in GF. Sometimes they just leave the canapés at either end of the champagne bars.

PS: Is it the ladies or the canapés that are nice or both?
Old Mar 17, 09, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy View Post
Disappointed in Regents Park.

You weren't looking very happy. Now we know why.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: