Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Apparent lounge cutbacks at LHR T5

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2009, 2:57 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
My concern at lounge cutbacks is that they any provide red label JW and the same colour for Smirnoff. Not really good enough for GF.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by hammythehammer
Surely you only spend that long when you are doing TR's ?
My record longest is 7 hours in the JFK Terraces

My shortest was 15 minutes in the Air France CDG T2B lounge. And that was 15 minutes too long!
Old Mar 6, 2009, 6:31 pm

There has been no reduction in the magazine ordering for the lounges. It must just have been a bit of a glitch and possibly down to the time of day. As for the cleanliness, it can rather depend on the shift as to how good they are at this as well as load factors that day in the lounge. Hopefully you will find the Galleries Club up to the December standards on your next visit.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by bizclassboy
Seems to me that the situation is not helped by people stealing just about anything they can from the lounge which I suspect are not the real frequent flyers / premium paying passengers, but people who have upgrades or status with other airlines that offer naff lounges.
Oh yes!! that is the first thing I think of when I get an upgrade on BA. Raid the lounges to stock my home library and larder because the AA lounges are so naff.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 3:06 am

Programs: Losing status by the day
Originally Posted by adrianjc32
There has been no reduction in the magazine ordering for the lounges.
I can believe this. I fly out once a week, usually hitting GF at about 1900 on a Sunday or Monday night. Very consistently there are no worthwhile magazines, and very few British newspapers. In the year since T5 opened I've seen two copies of The Economist.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
GF has looked fine to me on recent visits. No sign of any cutbacks (apart from
the spirits selection

LGW Flounge lovely once more, with very friendly staff (both BA and the catering staff), free-flowing Pol and proper premium spirits once again ^
Old Mar 7, 2009, 9:14 am

Programs: BA Silver, * Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold AMEX Plat'm, Marriott Titan'm, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LeisureFirst
[*]The lounge was very dirty and untidy with crumbs and other detritus all over much of the carpet and furniture.[*]The previously outstanding selection of magazines (including many copies of the Economist, Prospect, Spectator, CN Traveller and countless others I don't remember) had been reduced to no more than High Life and Business Life; although there were still some decent newspapers even late in the evening.[/LIST]
Was the grubiness just a one-off on a day when they were short of staff? Even if it were, the sharp reduction in magazines supplied surely wasn't?
I'm sure it was a one off. FIRST last night was the same at around 7pm. Very few magazines, crumbs in various places on the carpets and empty glasses left uncollected.

Generally speaking I find the lounges very good, tidy and well stocked. My only disappointment is no more Apple Pie and Custard on the First buffet counter .
Old Mar 7, 2009, 9:25 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, AF/KLM Againstmywill, Cunard World Club Gold
Reporting back from using T5 North lounge today 05.30 - 08.30: lounge was as clean as ever & BA staff as nice as ever, and food still good (no complaints whatsoever on that front from me), but magazines were entirely HighLife / Elite Traveller etc with the exception of one Caribbean magazine, strangely from autumn, and a single copy of 'Hello' magazine.

So, sorry, magazine supply has definitely decreased over the last few months as far as I can see.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 9:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BA1A
I suspect it will all be part of a drive to cut costs.

I presume BA has a deal with Condé Nast given the magazines it puts in the lounges - does anyone know for sure and if so what sort of discount they get?
The publishers pay a third party fulfillment company that has a contract to distribute magazines and newspapers to various lounges and for aircraft at LHR and LGW. Magazines can then count this circulation as part of their audits, and use it as part of their "rate base" which is what advertisers use to evaluate ad rates.

With the magazine world imploding, it is possible publishers are cutting back on this extra distribution to save money.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 10:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Priority Club RA, Lots of other cards
Originally Posted by Cupart
And that's why there are no magazines left
Exactly. Lucky Hiddy was not around or he would have taken the book rack as well.......

I have to say that T5 lounges have been nice when I have been in them. The thing that I do find is the disgusting pax who dont give a damn and make a mess and dont even attempt to clean it up. Some are nothing more that pigs..... then again pigs are pretty clean animals........
Old Mar 7, 2009, 10:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Priority Club RA, Lots of other cards
Originally Posted by henners
In the year since T5 opened I've seen two copies of The Economist.
Is that actually a bad thing
Old Mar 7, 2009, 10:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Radioman
Exactly. Lucky Hiddy was not around or he would have taken the book rack as well........
Never taken a magazine from a lounge in my life. They don't stock Trout and Salmon, The Field or Caravan monthly.

As for the Economist I believe there is a world wide shortage of them due to over subscription............look no further than the BD board to see who's to blame for that!!!
Old Mar 7, 2009, 10:51 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Never taken a magazine from a lounge in my life. They don't stock Trout and Salmon, The Field or Caravan monthly.
Nor do they stock Nobs, Nockers, or Playmates (yes I do know how to spell just minding the PC filter) - as you have overlooked those.

Still they have The Sun so you will have plenty to entertain you.

Terraces at LGW are delightful. They had magazines - I confess that I did not look too closely. I did not get an Economist. I just got a retired policeman, a Director and His Consort, and a well travelled Teddy Bear and some Champagne.

The Lounge was very clean and they had moved the Playpen over to where the Smokers used to be closeted. There's now an Internet Cafe only there's no coffee unless you fetch it and it doesn't open until later on this month. If you want to surf - you have to go downstairs.

Isn't that lift up to the Lounge (or down to the Crown Room or whatever occupies it since the abdication to LHR) the world's slowest?
Old Mar 7, 2009, 10:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I just got a retired policeman, a Director and His Consort,
What's a consort? Or did you mean corset?
Old Mar 7, 2009, 12:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold, etc. etc.
Originally Posted by HIDDY
What's a consort? Or did you mean corset?
I'd like BA to bring Bloomberg magazine back to the lounges. It used to be available in the LHR/LGW lounges and in premium cabins, and it's been gone for about a year. I'd like BA to make sure that Italian and Norwegian newspapers are not the only choice left in T5 GF, as happened a few weeks ago. Also, why is it that most of the time the vast majority (>80%) of magazines in GF are specialty mags of no interest whatsoever to most people. I have seen titles I never knew even existed which probably have a circulation of 1,000 copies, and unfortunately often those are the only mags left in GF. Racks and racks of totally worthless rubbish. BTW amazingly the T5 arrivals lounge consistently has a far better selection of magazines and newspapers than GF.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.