Apparent lounge cutbacks at LHR T5

Old Mar 6, 09, 11:48 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, QPPS
Originally Posted by LeisureFirst View Post
Now, yes, I'm only comparing two data points. It could all have been a blip. Anyone able to report from a recent (last three weeks) trip to T5 GC to re-assure me that all is tickety-boo?
I do hope indeed it was a blip, as I found the magazine selection in the Galleries North/South one of the most pleasent aspects. Though I haven't passed through the lounges in the last three weeks, I did find that the lounge in T5B had a better selection (Prospect, Spectator, et al) than the biggers ones in the main complex in January. (Perhaps, due to it not being frequented as much.....)
Old Mar 6, 09, 12:28 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold, AF/KLM Againstmywill, Cunard World Club Gold
Nope, I've been through a number of times recently & noticed the marked decline in magazines available - last time though, it was 05.30 last saturday morning, so perhaps I was simply too early. Very nice breakfast though.... I shall observe tomorrow morning at 05.30 & see if its the same
Old Mar 6, 09, 12:34 pm

Programs: BA GGL, VS Gold, BD Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by Sea Crest View Post
Nope, I've been through a number of times recently & noticed the marked decline in magazines available
I suspect it will all be part of a drive to cut costs.

I presume BA has a deal with Condé Nast given the magazines it puts in the lounges - does anyone know for sure and if so what sort of discount they get?
Old Mar 6, 09, 12:42 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
Knowing when the 247 leaves probably not too surprising the place was a bit grubby looking and the lack of reading material due to the days stock having already been taken.
It could be the clientele of BA247 bringing the whole lounge down....
Old Mar 6, 09, 12:46 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Starbucks Gold
I was in Galleries on 13th Feb, plentiful supply of magazines + newspapers though the Economist was missing but I managed to get a copy on the flight. Arrivals on 24th was pretty well stocked.
Old Mar 6, 09, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by BA1A View Post
I suspect it will all be part of a drive to cut costs.

I presume BA has a deal with Condé Nast given the magazines it puts in the lounges - does anyone know for sure and if so what sort of discount they get?
I have it from a reliable source that Conde Nast give BA a 90% discount on "Large Stroller Monthly".
Allegedly one of the most popular publications.
Old Mar 6, 09, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

GF has looked fine to me on recent visits. No sign of any cutbacks (apart from the food which hasn't been cut back, it just never looks appealing).
Old Mar 6, 09, 12:55 pm

Programs: BA GGL, VS Gold, BD Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by hammythehammer View Post
I have it from a reliable source that Conde Nast give BA a 90% discount on "Large Stroller Monthly".
Allegedly one of the most popular publications.
LOL ^

Looks like strollers are forever to take their place along with scorpions and PUCCI (MUCCI) as legendary in the BA forum.
Old Mar 6, 09, 1:11 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: up in the air
The magazine selection was dire when I was in F lounge late December. I just put it down to busy time of year and hadn't managed to restock.
Old Mar 6, 09, 1:24 pm
Suspended

I have been througn the T5 Galleries South lounge about 20 times in the last 6 months. It is always well stocked with everyting and clean. I normally arrive when it opens at 05 30 am and leave between 18.00 - 20.30 on the Hong Kong flights. Seems to me that the situation is not helped by people stealing just about anything they can from the lounge which I suspect are not the real frequent flyers / premium paying passengers, but people who have upgrades or status with other airlines that offer naff lounges.
Old Mar 6, 09, 2:24 pm

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by David-A View Post
OT: I was in the IB MAD lounges over the weekend and I noticed they were quite dirty (literally in need of a good clean).

Coupled with no more cakes and very infrequent restocking I got a sense IB must have cut their budget for the lounge.
Which Terminal and which lounge? I was in Sala Velasquez on Thursday and it was pretty near spotless with two picker uppers patrolling. Usual supply of nibblies and overall no change to normal!
Old Mar 6, 09, 3:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by BA1A View Post
LOL ^

Looks like strollers are forever to take their place along with scorpions and PUCCI (MUCCI) as legendary in the BA forum.
Seems like they've figured you out Hope the therapy's still going well!!
xx

PS - Plenty of magazines in the LGW Terraces a couple of weeks ago. I even found a couple in my hand baggage later that day - don't know how they got there

I suspect that all the magazines had been taken earlier in the day and there were no more to put out. They maybe do so already, but maybe an idea to stagger how often they're put out.
Old Mar 6, 09, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl View Post
but maybe an idea to stagger
it sometimes get close to that if i've been dropped at the lounge too early.
Old Mar 6, 09, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by bizclassboy View Post
I normally arrive when it opens at 05 30 am and leave between 18.00 - 20.30 on the Hong Kong flights.
You spend 14 hours in the lounge?!
Old Mar 6, 09, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by Genius1 View Post
You spend 14 hours in the lounge?!
Surely you only spend that long when you are doing TR's ?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: