Mileage tickets in somebody elses name

Old Mar 1, 2009, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Mileage tickets in somebody elses name

I am interested to know if anybody has managed to get a mileage ticket issued in somebody elses name and not part of a household account. I phoned BAEC a couple of weeks ago regarding this and was told that only people on the household account can get tickets.

I have just read the EC term & conditions and they state (from ba.com)

"13.1. Awards will be issued to any name requested and mailed only to the preferred mailing address of the Member. In some countries Members may be required to collect Awards from designated places. Awards for travel on British Airways flights are subject to the General Conditions of Carriage for Passengers and Baggage. Awards for travel on Airline Partner flights are subject to the relevant terms and conditions of the Airline Partner."

So it would seem the you can get a ticket in anybody´s name.

Any insight into this question would be appreciated

Zippy
Old Mar 1, 2009, 6:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You can only book a award ticket for someone who's in your household account.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 11:58 pm

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by HIDDY
You can only book a award ticket for someone who's in your household account.
Are you sure? I have booked a redemption ticket on BA.COM, LHR > JNB for my cousin who is definitely not in my Household account, in fact, I don't have a Household Account!
Old Mar 2, 2009, 12:08 am

Location: 15 minutes west of LHR, Stockholm, or somewhere inbetween.
Programs: BAEC Gold GGL, CCR, GfL, Mucci des Recherches des Consommations Exotiques.
If you've got a household account, you can only book miles tickets for members of your household account.

If you don't have a household account, you can book miles tickets for anybody.

If you've got enough miles personally, disolve your household account, book the ticket and then set up the household account again.

bjorns
Old Mar 2, 2009, 12:12 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by bjorns
If you've got a household account, you can only book miles tickets for members of your household account.

If you've got enough miles personally, disolve your household account, book the ticket and then set up the household account again.

bjorns
Thanks for clarifying!
Old Mar 2, 2009, 1:24 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Yes, further down the T&Cs you find:

16.1.14. Subject to Clause 16.1.12, Awards can only be issued by British Airways to members of the Household Account (and will not be issued to persons that are not members of such an account), as designated/nominated by a Household Account member at the time of issuance, after which Awards may not be transferred or reissued to a different name.

And for the avoidance of doubt:

16.1. The following are the specific terms and conditions that apply to Household Accounts. If there is any conflict between the terms and conditions in this Clause 16 and any other clause herein, these terms and conditions will prevail to the extent the term or condition relates to, or regulates the operation of the Household Account:

You could consider adding the non-member to your HH account, or dissolvethe HH account (for six months minimum). The only quirk is that an Amex 241 voucher can be used to book the second ticket for a non HH-member.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 5:26 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
If you don't have a household account, you can book miles tickets for anybody
Can confirm that this is true. Have also noticed that the passenger inherits your EC number, giving them access to the lounge, as long as card is not requested...
Old Mar 2, 2009, 5:46 am

Programs: BA GGL, VS Gold, BD Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by bjorns

bjorns
What happens if you join someone to your HHA so pooling all the miles and then say 6 months later you dissolve it. How does it work out the split of miles back to the individuals?
Old Mar 2, 2009, 6:01 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by BA1A
What happens if you join someone to your HHA so pooling all the miles and then say 6 months later you dissolve it. How does it work out the split of miles back to the individuals?
The members still have individual balances within the HH account, and earned miles go to the earner. Spent miles are taken proportionally: i.e. if the members have 60k, 30k and 10k, and a 25k ticket is purchased, the balances are debitted 15k, 7.5k and 2.5k (60/30/10).
Old Mar 2, 2009, 6:06 am

Programs: BA GGL, VS Gold, BD Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by pauldb
The members still have individual balances within the HH account, and earned miles go to the earner. Spent miles are taken proportionally: i.e. if the members have 60k, 30k and 10k, and a 25k ticket is purchased, the balances are debitted 15k, 7.5k and 2.5k (60/30/10).
Thanks, I was hoping that was how it worked.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 6:35 am

Programs: UA
This fall I'm going with a group of 10 to the US for a group trip. I will make the arrangements and do the booking and paying.

Do I get the miles from everyone on my account (since I'm paying) or not?
Or could I add my accountnumber to the tickets?

Probably not I assume?
Old Mar 2, 2009, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by Bralo20
This fall I'm going with a group of 10 to the US for a group trip. I will make the arrangements and do the booking and paying.

Do I get the miles from everyone on my account (since I'm paying) or not?
Or could I add my accountnumber to the tickets?

Probably not I assume?
Your assumption is correct. Not. One way for you to get more miles for the whole booking is to make the payment on your BA Amex if you have one. You can't have the miles for all the individual actual flights though, just your own.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
.... unless you open a Household Account with 10 (or whatever the max is) number of people per account.

However, 10 x discounted economy to the US won't get you very far, unfortunately.

Not sure if Discounted Y is worth anything for OnBusiness points. You could pretend all of these people work for your company. This could be more lucrative - see ba.com/onbusiness
Old Mar 2, 2009, 7:20 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Raffles
.... unless you open a Household Account with 10 (or whatever the max is) number of people per account.

However, 10 x discounted economy to the US won't get you very far, unfortunately.

Not sure if Discounted Y is worth anything for OnBusiness points. You could pretend all of these people work for your company. This could be more lucrative - see ba.com/onbusiness
Don't know 'bout the household account, will check this out, thanks! But probably this will only be limited to a couple of names, I assume with a max of 4, 5 maybe?

I've just read the "On Business" program and enrolled in it with my non profit organisation. Not that it gives great benefits, but something is better than nothing at all

Thanks for the tips!
Old Mar 2, 2009, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Thanks for all the info clarifys the situation

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.