Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Tier points reset - after advice on timing for an upcoming trip

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2009, 1:57 am
pb3
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC - Blue - How the once mighty have fallen

Hello again folks,

I'm after a bit of advice on how the Executive Club tier points sytem work, and the implications for a flight I plan to take in June.

I'm on the Executive Club blue tier and my membership year ends on June 9th 2009. I currently have only 240 tier points and understand that I need another 360 before June 9th to achieve silver tier, otherwise my tier points resets to zero.

As it happens I plan to take a return F flight going out on June 6th and returning on June 22nd. The calculator shows that the 2 legs would give me a neat total of 360 tier points

However as I understand it the tier points are not applied when the flight is booked, but only after the legs are flown. Is my understanding correct here ?

If so then my tier points for this membership year would increase to 420 on June 6th (out leg) but would then be reset to zero on June 9th when my membership year expires In the next membership year I'd then get 180 tier points on June 22nd (return leg).

If my understanding is correct then it surely makes more sense for me to delay my outbound leg until after June 9th as then all 360 tier points would go into my next membership year.

Unfortunately I can't time my trip so that it completes before June 9th as the First discounts for the route in the current BA Sale do not start until June 1st

Could you knowledgeable folk please advise me if my analysis above is correct?
Old Feb 28, 2009, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
You are correct. I am sure that people here have experiences where BAEC was a little understanding and willing to up you to Silver since you only missed the window by 14 days but officially you are screwed.

Call BAEC, explain your situation and ask if they are willing to extend your current membership to July.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 2:53 am

Programs: Spire, Hilton D, Accor P, SPG Plat, Radisson G, Shangri-La Diamond, Hertz PC, AY Lumo
I had a similar situation. Called to BAEC in UK and they told me they can extend 14 days.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 2:56 am

Programs: MUCCI - Order of the Diamond Hairbrush and Champion of Queens,BA Broon,HH Diamond,PC Plat,BA Amex
Hey pb3

Good luck with this -- please post your reply from BAEC, because the same situation is likely to happen to me (and I'm sure many others), so anecdotal evidence is often very helpful ^
Old Feb 28, 2009, 5:40 am
pb3
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC - Blue - How the once mighty have fallen
Originally Posted by Rickers
Hey pb3

Good luck with this -- please post your reply from BAEC, because the same situation is likely to happen to me (and I'm sure many others), so anecdotal evidence is often very helpful ^
Thanks indeed to all who took the trouble to reply so far.

I just rang the EC. The agent's advice was that he could not grant the extension now, but that I should ring on the morning of travel and request a two week extension. He also suggested I take the name of the agent I speak to on the day.

So fingers crossed I should have a great holiday and attain Silver tier at the end of it all. ^

I'll post an update in June to let the board know how I get on. To be safe I'll probably leave on June 2nd rather than June 6th, to ensure my return date does not fall too far after my membership anniversary date.

So it look like an extension is possible - my guess is that if that if your trip commences before the anniversary date, and your return leg is less than two weeks afterwards you should be in with a shout.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 10:38 am

Programs: SQ PPS Club (SA Gold) , BA Executive Club (OW Sapphire), SK Eurobonus, GA Frequent Flayer.
do you know how to get the BAEC premier status?
Old Feb 28, 2009, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by Divanli
Yes.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 1:41 pm

Or just 'move' to Europe before June 6, and move back afterwards...

Officially you have to wait 6 months to move back, but rules are made to be broken.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 1:46 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA LTG/GGL/CCR, AF PLAT, ETHIHAD AND LH USELESS PLASTIC
Originally Posted by Divanli
Don't call BA. They will call you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.