Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold Guest List Facts

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2009, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BA Premier, EK IO, Amex Centurion, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, IC Ambassador
Gold Guest List Facts

c.5,000 member globally
Service centres in UK,Delhi, Jo'burg and HKG. Not sure if there is a US centre, though one would expect there to be.

Criteria for Euro-cheats is 2,500 TP's for two consecutive years. 3,000 TP's for the rest of the world......

Best,

BAPremier
Old Feb 16, 2009, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by BAPremier
Criteria for Euro-cheats is 2,500 TP's for two consecutive years. 3,000 TP's for the rest of the world......
In a recent discussion about the EuroCheat thing, some genuine Euro members got a little upset about always referring to anyone based in Europe as EuroCheats, and while I think they were being slight over sensitive, I do think that we ought to be a little more careful when we make statements as the one you have made above.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 9:08 am

Programs: MUCCI
I'm not surprised that there are only c5,000 members.

I (in a previous life) managed to get 4,500 points or 2 years. I was in a plane every week in J/F. Very few people can or need to be doing that (not to mention that the cost is enormous).

Hoepfully some of the benefits will be passed down to the rest of us mere Golds. Some of us have held a Gold Card for many years now and it would be nice to think that the long term loyalty would be in someway recognised.......

FD.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 9:31 am

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by clubman
In a recent discussion about the EuroCheat thing, some genuine Euro members got a little upset about always referring to anyone based in Europe as EuroCheats, and while I think they were being slight over sensitive, I do think that we ought to be a little more careful when we make statements as the one you have made above.
As a matter of interest, does anyone know of any other airline's FFP that makes it easier for non-residents of the airline's home country to qualify for elite benefits?
Old Feb 16, 2009, 9:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, BD *S, VS Gold, AFKL Petro Club
Originally Posted by CCayley
As a matter of interest, does anyone know of any other airline's FFP that makes it easier for non-residents of the airline's home country to qualify for elite benefits?
LH, AF, SK (except Norwegians).
Old Feb 16, 2009, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For the avoidance of doubt, Eurocheat originated to describe only those making use of a continental address to benefit from lower levels rather than pukka European residents.

5000 members actually seems like quite a lot - I'm guessing around 3000 of those are UK?
Old Feb 16, 2009, 1:15 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
Originally Posted by BAPremier
c.5,000 member globally
Service centres in UK,Delhi, Jo'burg and HKG. Not sure if there is a US centre, though one would expect there to be.

Best,

BAPremier
Explains alot about why the service is generally better on said routes. Surprised GRU isn't mentioned, the premium yields are high.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 3:21 pm

Programs: BA GGL, SQ PPS, HH Diamond, SPG LTP/100, Marriott Platinum, Mucci des Lois Constitutionelles
Interesting - thanks.

I wonder if we could extrapolate how many of those passengers are likely to have 5,000 TPs or more (and will therefore soon be eligible - if the rumours are to be believed - for a CCR card).
Old Feb 16, 2009, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I used to do thousands of TP's a year back in the 90's. I vaguely recall complaining here or to BA that flying beyond the minimum Gold renewal level should be worth something. At least if you do double the TP's required you ought to get a cookie or something. It's good to see that they have indeed done something.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
So based on the often banded around number of 60,000 Golds that means ca. 8% are GGL. Higher than I expected to be honest...
Old Feb 16, 2009, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by CCayley
Qantas ... (as in easier being significantly less expensive)
Old Feb 16, 2009, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cayley, let's see. LH, SK, KLAF, DL, UA, AA, there are others, its an old game and many airlines play it.

The funny thing is that once upon a time I did fly BA enough to be GGL, and never got anything special out of it (yeah, i got a somewhat okay leather passport holder/wallet one year).

Fraser, it is/was my understanding that there are 40-50k golds in recent years.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 6:36 pm

Programs: BA Silver
With respect to the [negative] perception of how it is easier for Europeans to get elite benefits (versus UK domiciled counterparts), it's completely understandable for those using short-haul patterns. For a European resident, particularly more towards the East, it would be quite a hassle to travel intra-Europe if you always had to connect from London. Going from Istanbul to Athens, for example, would be counter-intuitive using BA. In fact, very few European locations make it truly convenient to connect through London. Granted, there are some OW alternatives, but many of the benefits specifically apply to BA metal.

If continental Europe had the same tier point thresholds as the UK, I doubt there would be nearly as many European executive club members loyal to BA.

In any case, for long-haul GGL qualifiers, I would think that once you get to those kinds of thresholds, a few hundred TP one way or another would make little difference.

Last edited by Double Entendre; Feb 16, 2009 at 8:02 pm
Old Feb 16, 2009, 7:01 pm

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
Are these total tier points of just tier points flying BA metal?
Old Feb 16, 2009, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by bagold
Are these total tier points of just tier points flying BA metal?
That's a good question. But I guess anyone doing serious BIS miles with AA, say, would receive better AAdvantages in AAnother programme.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.