Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Hong Kong airports [Which one does BA fly into?]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2009, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

This may be really silly, however i must clear this up! Hong Kong has 2 airports, Hong Kong international airport in Kowloon and then Chek Lap Kok International Airport, my question is which one does BA fly into? is it the one in Kowloon?

If so how do i get to the Chek Lap Kok International Airport from the airport Kowloon to get a connecting flight to Kota Kinabalu with Malaysia airlines? i have looked into using the Airport express service but from the website i cannot figure out how long this journey will take to establish how long i need to give myself to to catch my next flight.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Old Feb 15, 2009, 1:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Kai Tak was in Kowloon sadly no longer.So Chep Lap Kok it is.

Last edited by HIDDY; Feb 15, 2009 at 1:45 pm Reason: Speeling
Old Feb 15, 2009, 1:39 pm

Programs: BA Exec Silver, BA Amex Premium Plus
There is only one serving airport in Hong Kong now, it's known as Chek Lap Kok or Hong Kong International Airport, airport code HKG. This airport replaced the old infamous Kai Tak in kowloon for its low down final approach onto runway 13.

http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/index.html

The airport website has alot of good transportation options to and from town.

Hope it helps with your planning
Old Feb 15, 2009, 1:41 pm

Programs: BA, QR, OW loyal.
Kai Tak closed one night in 1998 (IIRC) and Chek Lap Kok opened the next day.

If you are arriving on BA and departing on MS and BA have not interlined your bags then you may have to clear immigration collect your bags and recheck them, this can take up to an hour if it is busy at immigration.

That said I have left the door of a BA flight and been climbing on the Airport Express in < 20 mins, on many occasions.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Excellent news! the map i was looking at was an old one then, so i won't even have to leave the airport to get my connecting flight which is much less stressful! thanks for all your advice everyone!
x
Old Feb 15, 2009, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

one last thing! (sorry!) does that mean i can connect the flights somehow so we dont have to check in all over again? even when i book the flights seperately? how would i do this?
Old Feb 15, 2009, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by gj5as
one last thing! (sorry!) does that mean i can connect the flights somehow so we dont have to check in all over again? even when i book the flights seperately? how would i do this?
At LHR when checking your bags show the BA agent your MAS itinerary and ask them to check your bags through to BKI. Shouldn't be a problem, as long as the itineraries are within 24 hours of each other connecting in HKG. If that works, once you get to HKG, go to the MAS transfer desk to get your boarding passes for BKI and then clear transit security. If it doesn't work, then you will have to go landside, clear immigration, collect bags and take them to the MAS counter on the departures level to re-check the bags.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jumbojet19920711
At LHR when checking your bags show the BA agent your MAS itinerary and ask them to check your bags through to BKI. Shouldn't be a problem, as long as the itineraries are within 24 hours of each other connecting in HKG. If that works, once you get to HKG, go to the MAS transfer desk to get your boarding passes for BKI and then clear transit security. If it doesn't work, then you will have to go landside, clear immigration, collect bags and take them to the MAS counter on the departures level to re-check the bags.
BA won't through check as MH aren't a OW airline. So the Op will have to reclaim and recheck in HKG. Easy enough process though as HK's airport works.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 9:31 am

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
Chinese woman freaked out at Hong Kong airport after missing her flight

Maybe this woman went to the wrong one.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 11:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Worthwhile asking at BA check-in about checking bags through to final destination. Given Hong Kong is the transit point, they tend to be more flexible.

Depending on arrival time, immigration queues can be rather long. Never an issue with picking up bags, getting up-stairs to re-check the bags in.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 11:54 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (lowly Blue but with MUCCI, apparently)
Mrs. W and I were very fortunate to fly into Kai Tak during the final days of it's operation. Truly an experience that shouldn't have been missed, and I'm glad we didn't.

Following our holiday a week or so later, we were equally pleased to be able to try Chek Lap Kok during the first couple of weeks of it's operation. A new and shiny airport, what a treat!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.