Surcharges on BA Award Tickets

Old Feb 8, 2009, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum/2m miler, Marriott A and LTT, Delta Diamond, Hertz Presidents, Avis Presidents. +more
Surcharges on BA Award Tickets

I wrote to BA about this and they said they would reply but haven't. When trying to book six round trip award tickets for my family, the total cost is nearly 2000 dollars in fees and fuel surcharges, which is considerably higher than when booking the equivalent trip using AA miles.

Also the surcharges and fees for an award ticket appear to be much higher than the surcharges and fees for a paid ticket on BA - are we being duped? They've already been penalized via a class action suit for this, so haven't they learnt? Why are there surcharges when the cost of oil is lower than ever?
Old Feb 8, 2009, 12:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AX Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Star Alliance Gold
If you're in the US, the cost of oil has fallen for the past five months. But, in the UK, the cost of oil has risen during the same period. All oil is priced in dollars and the pound sterling has fallen in value against the dollar, so BA is not benefiting much from the drop in prices.

That being said, the fees are simply outrageous.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 1:05 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Nicksta
But, in the UK, the cost of oil has risen during the same period.

It's gone from a high of $126 down to $45ish wherever in the world you are...

Cheers,
Rick
Old Feb 8, 2009, 1:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Try a routing using other carriers and see what the difference is.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 1:19 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
Originally Posted by Nicksta
If you're in the US, the cost of oil has fallen for the past five months. But, in the UK, the cost of oil has risen during the same period.
First, that is simply not true - the fall in the pound has been very much less than the fail in the price of oil, so the fall in the GBP price of oil has been somewhat less than the fall in the $ price of oil. I guess you might be able to find a small blip up if you cherry picked dates, but the overall effect is clear - GBP oil prices fell from around GBP70 last year to under GBP30 today.

Second, as the surcharges are being paid in $, not GBP, the forex variation should substantially cancel out.

It is generally possible to avoid paying some of those fees by booking from another FF account. Until recently AS awards on BA did not incur the surcharges, but BA forced AS to start charging. However, I believe that AA, CX and some other OW partners still do not.

Also, remember that a large chunk of the taxes/fees are the very high UK taxes.

Last edited by dgwright99; Feb 8, 2009 at 1:26 pm
Old Feb 8, 2009, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Yawn.

Originally Posted by BMGRAHAM
They've already been penalized via a class action suit for this
No, they haven't. Nor has any airline I know of.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 3:54 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
As an example (courtesy of ITA), the additions breakdown for a purchased CW return US east coast to LHR return, would be:

Tax: US International Departure Tax $16.10
Tax: US September 11th Security Fee $2.50
Tax: US Passenger Facility Charge $4.50
Tax: BA YQ surcharge $322.00
Tax: USDA APHIS Fee $5.00
Tax: US Immigration Fee $7.00
Tax: US Customs Fee $5.50
Tax: United Kingdom Air Passengers Duty £80.00
Tax: United Kingdom Passenger Service Charge £19.70
Tax: US International Arrival Tax $16.10
For a total of US$521.10 per adult.

hth

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.